Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Hiisi

Default Philips 9@9q USB connection

Hi list!
Recently I've bought a new cell phone. It's Philips 9@9q Xenium. It
has usb-lsot for every task - charging its battery, using headphones
and (what I'd like it to do) for data transfer. I can't figure out how
to connect it to F12. Here's the last lines from dmesg just after
phone is connected through USB cable:
usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 3
usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=112f, idProduct=1005
usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 3-2: Product: PHILIPS Xenium 9@9q GSM Mobile Phone
usb 3-2: Manufacturer: PHILIPS
usb 3-2: SerialNumber: 351978-02-122976
usb-storage: device found at 3
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access Philips Dev. 0 LUN 0 1.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

I'm unable to use it with wammu - can't find appropriate device. As I
understand system recognise it as removable disk, not a cell phone. Is
it possible to change that behaviour?
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:01 PM
David Timms

On 21/02/10 19:53, Hiisi wrote:
> Hi list!
> Recently I've bought a new cell phone. It's Philips 9@9q Xenium. It
> I'm unable to use it with wammu - can't find appropriate device. As I
> understand system recognise it as removable disk, not a cell phone. Is
> it possible to change that behaviour?
If it is windows mobile, their is a setting for fast transfer (usb disk
emulation), or windows sync mode, of which only one can be selected at once.

If you mean to say "use the phone's cell data capability to share it's
internet connection", then there is another setting to enable that.
On older f10, this works initially, everything seems good - private dhcp
assigned on the usb connection, pc can ping itself, phone and external
dns server. but when i try to get a page, anything but the simplest
craps out before even the basics of the page are drawn.

Other people suggest bluetooth as the tether method, but i haven't the
bt to try it.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Hiisi

Hi, David!

2010/2/22 David Timms <dtimms@iinet.net.au>:
> On 21/02/10 19:53, Hiisi wrote:
>> Hi list!
>> Recently I've bought a new cell phone. It's Philips 9@9q Xenium. It
>> I'm unable to use it with wammu - can't find appropriate device. As I
>> understand system recognise it as removable disk, not a cell phone. Is
>> it possible to change that behaviour?
> If it is windows mobile, their is a setting for fast transfer (usb disk
> emulation), or windows sync mode, of which only one can be selected at once.

No, it's not so 'cool' [1].

> If you mean to say "use the phone's cell data capability to share it's
> internet connection", then there is another setting to enable that.
> On older f10, this works initially, everything seems good - private dhcp
> assigned on the usb connection, pc can ping itself, phone and external
> dns server. but when i try to get a page, anything but the simplest
> craps out before even the basics of the page are drawn.
>
> Other people suggest bluetooth as the tether method, but i haven't the
> bt to try it.

I only wanted to transfer some data like mp3's, pictures and java
applications to the phone. I have no intention of using it as a modem.
But yes, you're right. There's a setting in menu called connectivity
where one can choose between USB drive or PC Sync options. Changing it
to PC Sync gave some result. Now when I connect the phone /dev/ttyACM0
entry creates and wammu is able to recognise it but still I'm unable
to transfer data to the device or synchronize messages with the
computer.
Anyway, thank you for your help.