Old 02-21-2010, 02:32 AM
Matt Domsch

Default Adding the DebugInfo packages to the Mirrors

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:30:26AM +0530, Sawrub wrote:
> FTP listing of the Fedora mirrors hosted in India, is missing the
> debuginfo packages. I'm able to locate the same under most of the
> International mirrors with few of them to list picked from the mirror list
> hosted at [1]http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/12/ are

As you note later, yum will eventually fall back to finding a mirror
somewhere globally, though perhaps not locally, that contains the
debuginfo packages. So while it may not be quite as fast for you to
download them, they are available.

Our mirrors do a fantastic job for Fedora - we couldn't handle the
several million installed systems worldwide without them. At the same
time, each mirror has its own constraints on what resources they can
provide. A full Fedora mirror alone takes just under 1TB right now,
which is quite a lot to keep on every mirror. Mirrors therefore can
be selective about what they carry, the only requirement being that
they exclude at a whole directory level (they can't mirror only some
files in any single directory).

Historically, debuginfo hasn't been all that useful. With abrt being
more widely used, and people being prodded through the GUI to download
debuginfo to submit better bug reports, debuginfo is being used quite
a bit more than before. But it's still a small number of downloads,
but fairly large in disk space size, in comparison to all the other
packages in the distro. So, a mirror, trying to be efficient in the
use of their disk space and download bandwidth, often will exclude the
debuginfo packages exactly because they are large and infrequently
requested.

I'll send a note to the mirrors asking them to consider carrying
debuginfo, but if they don't wish to, I can't make them, nor would I
even try.

Thanks,
Matt
Fedora Mirror Wrangler

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO

Old 02-21-2010, 04:12 AM
Sawrub

On 02/21/2010 09:02 AM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:30:26AM +0530, Sawrub wrote:
>
>> FTP listing of the Fedora mirrors hosted in India, is missing the
>> debuginfo packages. I'm able to locate the same under most of the
>> International mirrors with few of them to list picked from the mirror list
>> hosted at [1]http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/12/ are
>>
> As you note later, yum will eventually fall back to finding a mirror
> somewhere globally, though perhaps not locally, that contains the
> debuginfo packages. So while it may not be quite as fast for you to
> download them, they are available.
>
> Our mirrors do a fantastic job for Fedora - we couldn't handle the
> several million installed systems worldwide without them. At the same
> time, each mirror has its own constraints on what resources they can
> provide. A full Fedora mirror alone takes just under 1TB right now,
> which is quite a lot to keep on every mirror. Mirrors therefore can
> be selective about what they carry, the only requirement being that
> they exclude at a whole directory level (they can't mirror only some
> files in any single directory).
>
> Historically, debuginfo hasn't been all that useful. With abrt being
> more widely used, and people being prodded through the GUI to download
> debuginfo to submit better bug reports, debuginfo is being used quite
> a bit more than before. But it's still a small number of downloads,
> but fairly large in disk space size, in comparison to all the other
> packages in the distro. So, a mirror, trying to be efficient in the
> use of their disk space and download bandwidth, often will exclude the
> debuginfo packages exactly because they are large and infrequently
> requested.
>
> I'll send a note to the mirrors asking them to consider carrying
> debuginfo, but if they don't wish to, I can't make them, nor would I
> even try.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
> Fedora Mirror Wrangler

As i mentioned in the subject itself this mail was a 'Request' from my
side to the admins of the above mentioned local mirrors to add the
pakages, as its solely their wish/capacity which controls this.
Thanks Matt for the effort being put in.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644