-   -   Fedora seems to be connected to the Internet... but it's not. (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/329444-fedora-seems-connected-internet-but-its-not.html)

02-20-2010 04:47 PM

Fedora seems to be connected to the Internet... but it's not.

I am connected to the Internet, because when I am navigating through
Fedora's website I was able to start a download of Fedora, plus I
deleted the cache, so it's not just using what it remembers.

On Feb 20, 2010, at 17:11, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 19:10 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Seth writes:
>>
>>> So, I just installed Fedora 12 onto a current model 15" MacBook
>>> Pro, and
>>> it's connected to the local network just fine, but I'm having a
>>> little
>>> trouble with the Internet. I can download new applications from the
>>> repositories, so I AM on the Internet, but it appears that the only
>>> website I can visit is Fedora's website. I cleared the cache and
>>> tried
>>> again and could still go to
>>> <URL:http://fedoraproject.com>fedoraproject.com, but if I try to
>>> go to any
>>> other website, Firefox tells me I'm not connected to the Internet.
>>> I'm not
>>> an expert at Linux, so I would like to stay away from the command
>>> line if
>>> at all possible.
>>
>> I see two possibilities:
>>
>> 1) You are not connected to the Internet. When Firefox detects that
>> there is
>> no network connection, it will serve pages that it previously
>> cached, out of
>> its cache, but when you try to load a page that it has not cached,
>> it will
>> tell you that you're not online.
>>
>> 2) Firefox is not correctly detecting your network status, and
>> falls back to
>> offline mode, leading to #1. From the "File" menu, uncheck "Work
>> offline",
>> then try to browse to www.cnn.com, www.yahoo.com, www.foxnews.com,
>> any page
>> that you have not visited yet.
>
> In relation to (2), Firefox detects it's online by asking
> NetworkManager. If NM thinks it's not online, that's what FF believes.
> NM will say it's not online when it's not managing the interface, even
> when the interface actually *is* online. The solution is to check the
> appropriate box in system-config-network.
>
> poc

02-20-2010 04:52 PM

Fedora seems to be connected to the Internet... but it's not.

As soon as I sent my last email I figured out what's wrong. :P Just to
test something out I Entered in Google's IP address and it worked! So
I think I've got a DNS issue here...

Patrick O'Callaghan 02-20-2010 11:11 PM

Patrick O'Callaghan 02-21-2010 03:44 AM

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 10:47 -0700, dragonrider66@gmail.com wrote:
> I am connected to the Internet, because when I am navigating through
> Fedora's website I was able to start a download of Fedora, plus I
> deleted the cache, so it's not just using what it remembers.

I didn't say you weren't connected, just that NM may have thought you
weren't. This is a genuine issue even if it's not what happened in your
case. It affects at least Firefox and Evolution, and possibly other
apps.

poc

PS Please don't top-post on this list.