Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Frank Cox

Default USB wireless that works-out-of-box?

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 17:47 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a USB wireless card which works out-of-the-box
> with
> Fedora?

I plugged a USB external wireless card into a Centos box the other day
and it "just worked". The box it came in said StarTek and I had no
reason or need to look at it any further because, again, it just worked.

If it works on Centos it should work on Fedora.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 AM
Joel Gomberg

On 02/20/2010 02:47 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Hi. Can anyone recommend a USB wireless card which works out-of-the-box with
> Fedora? I installed Fedora on my dad's laptop, very successfully, but the
> system has some hardware issues with the built-in wireless (it was
> problematic in Windows too). So he wants to just get an add-on.
>
> Unfortunately, this seems to be a compatibility minefield -- can anyone
> suggest something that will just work for him? (No ndiswrapper, please!)

I have a Medialink adapter that I bought from Amazon for $30:

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-Adapter-802-11g-Compatible/dp/B001DKBNMA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&m=A1DCPNQKKEISZB&s=generic&qid= 1266723377&sr=1-5

It just works. I now have my laptop's built in wireless working, so I don't
need it any more. If you'd like it, send me an email off-list.

--
Joel

Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Ed Landaveri

Mattew,
Is your dad's a Dell Laptop, if so which model && number. I've been using them for years since FC1 and haven't have issues with them. If its a Dell the Wireless Intel have no issues at all if so just replaced it. If it ain't an Intel
but the Broadcom ones then you do only need the firmware for them.

Regarding USB Wireless devices never used any of them but some with the broadcom chip might have missing firmware that you'll be able to google and add to /lib/firmware/

I never liked nsdiwrappers either && I hope you'll find something on these pages:

http://www.linux-sec.net/Wireless/Drivers/

The following one helped me a lot before with broadcom on my debian laptop:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers

Remember when looking for Wireless look at the chip manufacturer instead of the Wireless Card manufacturer.
Regards

|E|d|u|a|r|d|o| |L|a|n|d|a|v|e|r|i|

|G|N|U|-|L|i|n|u|x| |U|s|e|r| |4|3|3|5|1|2|