Old 02-20-2010, 08:07 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Default F12: Yum/Software Update hangs

Seems to me, that Yum/Software Update programs
hangs from time to time.

With Yum, a remote connection would sometimes hang
but then timeout and retry again. Seems this is not
happening.

For Software Update, sometimes hangs occuring during
downloads, and other times in cleanups. The spinner
stays on forever and forces one to terminate the program
via the kill command.

Dan

Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Les

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 13:07 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Seems to me, that Yum/Software Update programs
> hangs from time to time.
>
> With Yum, a remote connection would sometimes hang
> but then timeout and retry again. Seems this is not
> happening.
>
> For Software Update, sometimes hangs occuring during
> downloads, and other times in cleanups. The spinner
> stays on forever and forces one to terminate the program
> via the kill command.
>
> Dan

I am having a similar problem along with some server disconnect
messages. I suspect that in my case they are related.

Regards,
Les H

Old 02-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Sat, 2/20/10, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:

> Seems to me, that Yum/Software Update programs
> hangs from time to time.
>
> With Yum, a remote connection would sometimes hang
> but then timeout and retry again.* Seems this is not
> happening.
>
> For Software Update, sometimes hangs occuring during
> downloads, and other times in cleanups.* The spinner
> stays on forever and forces one to terminate the program
> via the kill command.

I initially got the same thing with the mirror connection timing out, and yum switching to another mirror. I installed the yum-plugin-fastestmirror plugin and that eliminated the stalling.

I also have presto and refresh-packagekit plugins installed.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:03 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 02/20/2010 08:44 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Sat, 2/20/10, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:
>

>> Seems to me, that Yum/Software Update programs
>> hangs from time to time.
>>
>> With Yum, a remote connection would sometimes hang
>> but then timeout and retry again. Seems this is not
>> happening.
>>
>> For Software Update, sometimes hangs occuring during
>> downloads, and other times in cleanups. The spinner
>> stays on forever and forces one to terminate the program
>> via the kill command.
>>
> I initially got the same thing with the mirror connection timing out, and yum switching to another mirror. I installed the yum-plugin-fastestmirror plugin and that eliminated the stalling.
>
> I also have presto and refresh-packagekit plugins installed.

Uh, so do I...

# yum update
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit

The problem is still there....

It's just not consistent.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Kam Leo

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:
> On 02/20/2010 08:44 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>> --- On Sat, 2/20/10, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Seems to me, that Yum/Software Update programs
>>> hangs from time to time.
>>>
>>> With Yum, a remote connection would sometimes hang
>>> but then timeout and retry again. *Seems this is not
>>> happening.
>>>
>>> For Software Update, sometimes hangs occuring during
>>> downloads, and other times in cleanups. *The spinner
>>> stays on forever and forces one to terminate the program
>>> via the kill command.
>>>
>> I initially got the same thing with the mirror connection timing out, and yum switching to another mirror. *I installed the yum-plugin-fastestmirror plugin and that eliminated the stalling.
>>
>> I also have presto and refresh-packagekit plugins installed.

> Uh, so do I...
>
> # yum update
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
>
> The problem is still there....
>
> It's just not consistent.

Instead of a random mirror you can specify the repository or
repositories to use in your .repo files. Find a repository that works
reliably for you and plug it in.