Old 02-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Marcel Rieux

Default Upgrade downgrades Firefox

I was running Firefox 3.6.? and upgrades were available today. After
reboot, Firefox opened with version 3.5.8. I tried yum update
firefox... and I apparently have the latest version!

Old 02-21-2010, 03:51 AM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Sat, 2/20/10, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was running Firefox 3.6.? and
> upgrades were available today. After
> reboot, Firefox opened with version 3.5.8. I tried yum
> update
> firefox... and I apparently have the latest version!

What does 'yum info Firefox' report? What version of Fedora are you using?

Old 02-21-2010, 04:49 AM
Marcel Rieux

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Sat, 2/20/10, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was running Firefox 3.6.? and
>> upgrades were available today. After
>> reboot, Firefox opened with version 3.5.8. I tried yum
>> update
>> firefox... and I apparently have the latest version!
>
> What does 'yum info Firefox' report? *What version of Fedora are you using?

yum info firefox
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Installed Packages
Name : firefox
Arch : x86_64
Version : 3.5.8
Release : 1.fc12
Size : 17 M
Repo : installed
>From repo : updates
: standards compliance, performance and portability.

I was formerly running 3.6.? (whichever was current). Isn't it amazing
that everybody doesn't have the same problem?

Old 02-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Ed Greshko

Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> --- On Sat, 2/20/10, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I was running Firefox 3.6.? and
>>> upgrades were available today. After
>>> reboot, Firefox opened with version 3.5.8. I tried yum
>>> update
>>> firefox... and I apparently have the latest version!
>>>
>> What does 'yum info Firefox' report? What version of Fedora are you using?
>>

> yum info firefox
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> Installed Packages
> Name : firefox
> Arch : x86_64
> Version : 3.5.8
> Release : 1.fc12
> Size : 17 M
> Repo : installed
> >From repo : updates
> : standards compliance, performance and portability.
>
> I was formerly running 3.6.? (whichever was current). Isn't it amazing
> that everybody doesn't have the same problem?

This is probably because FF 3.5.8 is in the normal repository and FF
3.6.0 is in rawhide. 3.5.8 is the most current for F12. If you install
from rawhide you'll get 3.6.0.f13.

You should check your yum.log to see what transpired and when. FWIW,
I've seen some folks download FF3.6 from mozilla and install it
themselves. i.e. non-RPM, forget what they did, and then wonder what
happened.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Sawrub

On 02/21/2010 11:27 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:

>>> What does 'yum info Firefox' report? What version of Fedora are you using?
>>>

>> yum info firefox
>> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
>> Installed Packages
>> Name : firefox
>> Arch : x86_64
>> Version : 3.5.8
>> Release : 1.fc12
>> Size : 17 M
>> Repo : installed
>> > From repo : updates
>> : standards compliance, performance and portability.
>>
>> I was formerly running 3.6.? (whichever was current). Isn't it amazing
>> that everybody doesn't have the same problem?
>>

> This is probably because FF 3.5.8 is in the normal repository and FF
> 3.6.0 is in rawhide. 3.5.8 is the most current for F12. If you install
> from rawhide you'll get 3.6.0.f13.
>
> You should check your yum.log to see what transpired and when. FWIW,
> I've seen some folks download FF3.6 from mozilla and install it
> themselves. i.e. non-RPM, forget what they did, and then wonder what
> happened.

@Marcel

Here i have a question that from where did you got Firefox 3.6 was it
from rawhide or from Mozilla [tar].

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644

Old 02-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 13:57 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:

> >> What does 'yum info Firefox' report? What version of Fedora are you using?
> >>

> > yum info firefox
> > Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> > Installed Packages
> > Name : firefox
> > Arch : x86_64
> > Version : 3.5.8
> > Release : 1.fc12
> > Size : 17 M
> > Repo : installed
> > >From repo : updates
> > : standards compliance, performance and portability.
> >
> > I was formerly running 3.6.? (whichever was current). Isn't it amazing
> > that everybody doesn't have the same problem?
> >
> This is probably because FF 3.5.8 is in the normal repository and FF
> 3.6.0 is in rawhide. 3.5.8 is the most current for F12. If you install
> from rawhide you'll get 3.6.0.f13.
>
> You should check your yum.log to see what transpired and when. FWIW,
> I've seen some folks download FF3.6 from mozilla and install it
> themselves. i.e. non-RPM, forget what they did, and then wonder what
> happened.

This morning when I openned firefoc I got an offer to download firefox
3.6. A bz2 was downloaded and extracted. But no instructions appeared
onn how to install it. How can it be installed? Or should it be
installed this way?

Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Sawrub

On 02/21/2010 08:16 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 13:57 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Marcel Rieux wrote:

>>> yum info firefox
>>> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
>>> Installed Packages
>>> Name : firefox
>>> Arch : x86_64
>>> Version : 3.5.8
>>> Release : 1.fc12
>>> Size : 17 M
>>> Repo : installed
>>> : standards compliance, performance and portability.
>>>
>>> I was formerly running 3.6.? (whichever was current). Isn't it amazing
>>> that everybody doesn't have the same problem?
>>>

>> This is probably because FF 3.5.8 is in the normal repository and FF
>> 3.6.0 is in rawhide. 3.5.8 is the most current for F12. If you install
>> from rawhide you'll get 3.6.0.f13.
>>
>> You should check your yum.log to see what transpired and when. FWIW,
>> I've seen some folks download FF3.6 from mozilla and install it
>> themselves. i.e. non-RPM, forget what they did, and then wonder what
>> happened.
>>

> This morning when I openned firefoc I got an offer to download firefox
> 3.6. A bz2 was downloaded and extracted. But no instructions appeared
> onn how to install it. How can it be installed? Or should it be
> installed this way?
> --
> ================================================== =====================
> Just go ahead and write your own multitasking multiuser os! Worked for
> me all the times. -- Linus Torvalds
> ================================================== =====================
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

Seems that you are not using the firefox provided by fedora [customised]
, its the one provided by mozilla. Will suggest to remove the one that
is installed and download the one provided by Fedora using YUM.
All you need to do is at CLI is query the RPM DB for the installed
firefox by 'rpm -q firefox', once listed remove the same firefox using
'rpm -e firefox' and install the new one as 'yum install firefox'.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Marcel Rieux

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:

>>> What does 'yum info Firefox' report? *What version of Fedora are you using?
>>>

>> yum info firefox
>> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
>> Installed Packages
>> Name * * * : firefox
>> Arch * * * : x86_64
>> Version * *: 3.5.8
>> Release * *: 1.fc12
>> Size * * * : 17 M
>> Repo * * * : installed
>> >From repo *: updates
>> Summary * *: Mozilla Firefox Web browser
>> URL * * * *: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
>> License * *: MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
>> * * * * * *: standards compliance, performance and portability.
>>
>> I was formerly running 3.6.? (whichever was current). Isn't it amazing
>> that everybody doesn't have the same problem?
>>
> This is probably because FF 3.5.8 is in the normal repository and FF
> 3.6.0 is in rawhide. *3.5.8 is the most current for F12. *If you install
> from rawhide you'll get 3.6.0.f13.

Gee, I feel silly! I just checked yum.log and 3.5.8 is the only
Firefox I have. Since 3.6 was released last month, I thought I was
running it. Then, what really got me confused, is when Firefox opened
after reboot (the update included a kernel). It said a newer version,
3.6, was available. I thought I was having another silly update
problem.

Isn't there a way to prevent this screen from appearing if Fedora is
not satisfied with the latest version?

Thanks to all. I'm really sorry for the trouble.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Sat, 2/20/10, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM,
> Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > --- On Sat, 2/20/10, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I was running Firefox 3.6.? and
> >> upgrades were available today. After
> >> reboot, Firefox opened with version 3.5.8. I tried
> yum
> >> update
> >> firefox... and I apparently have the latest
> version!
> >
> > What does 'yum info Firefox' report? *What version of
> Fedora are you using?
>
> yum info firefox
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> Installed Packages
> Name* * ***: firefox
> Arch* * ***: x86_64
> Version* * : 3.5.8
> Release* * : 1.fc12
> Size* * ***: 17 M
> Repo* * ***: installed
> >From repo* : updates
> Summary* * : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
> URL* * * * : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
> License* * : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
> designed for
> * * * * ***: standards
> compliance, performance and portability.
>
> I was formerly running 3.6.? (whichever was current). Isn't
> it amazing
> that everybody doesn't have the same problem?

3.5.8 is the latest Firefox version is the F12 repository. If you want 3.6, which is not customized to F12, you'll have to download it from Mozilla.com and install. Someone suggest using the Rawhide repository which contains 3.6. Don't!!! I did that a few Fedora versions ago, and yum installed dependencies that were incompatible with my current version. Ended up having to completely reinstall.

I suggest that if you want 3.6, after downloading the rpm from Mozilla, that you install it using 'yum localinstall <pathtorpm>' WITHOUT the -y (yes) option to see what any dependencies, if any, yum pulls. That way you can safely decide whether to install 3.6.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Sun, 2/21/10, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 13:57 +0800, Ed
> Greshko wrote:
> > Marcel Rieux wrote:
> > > On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Patrick Bartek
> <bartek047@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > >***

> [big snip]
>
> This morning when I openned firefoc I got an offer to
> download firefox
> 3.6. A bz2 was downloaded and extracted. But no
> instructions appeared
> onn how to install it. How can it be installed? Or should
> it be
> installed this way?

As root, cd to the directory where the rpm is and

rpm -ivh <rpmpackagename>

will do it. However, I prefer, as root,

yum localinstall <pathtorpm>

which will handle dependencies, if any.