Old 02-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Mail Lists

Default pulseaudio memory usage possible leak

Does this look appropriate on F12 ?

PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
9 -11 163m 3836 2908 S 2.3 0.1 18:11.20 pulseaudio

Sound is muted - best I can tell nothing (aside from gnome) is using the
audio system.

Is it appropriate for pulseaudio to have 163 Mb or is this a memory leak
?

gene

Old 02-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Paolo Galtieri

I don't think you have an issue.* Here's what mine shows with an uptime of 1 day

PR* NI* VIRT** RES*** SHR* S %CPU %MEM*** TIME+* COMMAND

20** 0** 1118m 317m* 34m* S** 40.4** 15.8******** 4:50.01* firefox**************

*9* -11* 501m** 2940** 2080 S**** 2.6** 0.1********* 41:02.09 pulseaudio

Notice that firefox shows substantially more.

BTW, has anyone else noted that the latest firefox (3.5.8) is a CPU hog?

I have chrome running as well and it only shows 6 - 10 % CPU usage while firefox shows 35 - 45% CPU usage.

Paolo *

Old 02-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think you have an issue.* Here's what mine shows with an uptime of 1
> day
>
> PR* NI* VIRT** RES*** SHR* S %CPU %MEM*** TIME+* COMMAND
> 20** 0** 1118m 317m* 34m* S** 40.4** 15.8******** 4:50.01
> firefox
> *9* -11* 501m** 2940** 2080 S**** 2.6** 0.1********* 41:02.09 pulseaudio
>
> Notice that firefox shows substantially more.

I'm not sure that's a compelling defense there.... They're very
different apps. I have no idea if 501m is reasonable for pulseaudio.

> BTW, has anyone else noted that the latest firefox (3.5.8) is a CPU hog?

In my experience, that's often caused by flash running on a page or
some extension behaving poorly. Is that possible in your case?

reid

Old 02-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Paolo Galtieri

I agree that the numbers don't prove it one way or the other.* I was just pointing out that showing numbers doesn't help.**

As to the issues with firefox it could be flash, but the previous version of firefox, given the same open tabs and content didn't show such high CPU usage as soon as it starts.** I'm running the 64 bit firefox and it really sucks when it comes to sites which use flash heavily it crashes repeatedly.

Paolo

Old 02-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Paolo Galtieri <pgaltieri@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that the numbers don't prove it one way or the other.* I was just
> pointing out that showing numbers doesn't help.

True. But it does look suspicious. I know measuring actual memory
usage is a bit of a black art, though, so I can believe it's not an
issue.

> As to the issues with firefox it could be flash, but the previous version of
> firefox, given the same open tabs and content didn't show such high CPU
> usage as soon as it starts.** I'm running the 64 bit firefox and it really
> sucks when it comes to sites which use flash heavily it crashes repeatedly.

That does sound bad. If you're bored, you could try running the 3.6
version proved by the remi repository:

http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/Config-en

I'm running that, but I too am seeing constant CPU usage with lots of
tabs up (10-30%), so no promises! Maybe it'll at least be more
stable.

reid

Old 02-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Paolo Galtieri

I'm using chrome on F12.* It seems to handle things better.* At least it doesn't completely crash like firefox, it just reports that there was a problem with flash, but it keeps running.

Paolo

Old 02-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Mail Lists

On 02/20/2010 01:20 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> I'm using chrome on F12. It seems to handle things better. At least it
> doesn't completely crash like firefox, it just reports that there was a
> problem with flash, but it keeps running.

Thanks for your thougts ..

But 500 MB for a daemon which pipes data via a few connections sounds
high to me ... no graphics in the daemon either ... just a small
switchboard ... not sure what else it might be doing if not leaking mem ?

I use google-chrome exclusively (64 bit) with flash and sun java -
generally works way way better than FF - which I suspect will be
marginalized and replaced by google-chrome as times goes by. chrome is
so so so sooo much better (faster, more secure etc).

gene

Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Paolo Galtieri

I'm starting to like chrome more and more.* The only issue I have with chrome is viewing the list of extensions.* Chrome is quickly gaining extensions, but when I try to peruse the extensions I can't see all of them.* When I look at the "Most popular" ones the first page shows "Results 1 - 10 of 2,810", the next page shows "Results 11 - 20 of 2,810", etc.* Page 100 shows "Results 991 - 1000 of 2,810", but page 101 shows Results 1001 - 1000 of 2,810 and it shows no extensions.* Subsequent pages fail to show any extensions either.* Is there a way to see all the extensions?

Regarding pulseaudio I suspect that the amount of memory allocated by it and other applications depends on the amount of memory in the system.* I have 2GB of memory in my system so that may explain the 500Mb.

Paolo

Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Mail Lists

On 02/20/2010 02:44 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
Is there a way to
> see all the extensions?

Maybe a new google-chrome thread is in order ?

> Regarding pulseaudio I suspect that the amount of memory allocated by it
> and other applications depends on the amount of memory in the system. I
> have 2GB of memory in my system so that may explain the 500Mb.

Perhaps - I have 3 GiB - however allocating memory should only happen
if its needed for something - a few audio buffers would shock me if it
needed to be more than a few 10's of MiB. 400 sounds insane to me the
more I think about it.

Since the author of pulse follows this list - could you please tell us
what you think is reasonable mem usage for the audio daemon? Is 1/2 a
terrabyte sound reasonable to you ?

gene

Old 02-22-2010, 02:03 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:04:43PM -0500, Mail Lists wrote:
> Does this look appropriate on F12 ?
>
> PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 9 -11 163m 3836 2908 S 2.3 0.1 18:11.20 pulseaudio
>

> Sound is muted - best I can tell nothing (aside from gnome) is using the
> audio system.
>
> Is it appropriate for pulseaudio to have 163 Mb or is this a memory leak
> ?

The "VIRT" column is not a reliable number for how much memory that
particular app is actually taking up in RAM. Much of the memory
referred to there may be shared with other applications that rely on
the same underlying libraries, such as the standard C libraries. If I
recall correctly, these are "virtual mappings" of memory.

For instance, I just started up Twinkle, a KDE program, on my GNOME
desktop, and the VIRT for that program is around 1371 MB. (Yes,
that's a lot, but again, it's not all actually loaded in RAM.)