Old 02-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Bob Goodwin

Default Yum update problem -

Yum update does not complete this morning. I am presented with an error
message:

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 from installed has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
package-cleanup --dupes
rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

I tried the above and:

[root@box6 bobg]# yum update --exclude gnome-mplayer-0.9.8-1.fc12.i686

With the same result. Not certain the above command is correct though?

Any suggestions welcome.

Bob

Old 02-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Larry Brower

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Yum update does not complete this morning. I am presented with an error
> message:
>
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 from installed has depsolving problems
> --> Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
> Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
> Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
> Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
> You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
> package-cleanup --dupes
> rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>

> I tried the above and:
>
> [root@box6 bobg]# yum update --exclude gnome-mplayer-0.9.8-1.fc12.i686
>

> With the same result. Not certain the above command is correct though?
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Bob

Ive come across this on CentOS a few times and the solution usually has
been to manually download the affected RPM's from a repo and install
them using rpm -Uvh --nodeps
After that things worked correctly.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 02:52 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Yum update does not complete this morning. I am presented with an error
> message:
>
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 from installed has depsolving problems
> --> Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
> Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
> Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
> Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
> You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
> package-cleanup --dupes
> rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>

> I tried the above and:
>
> [root@box6 bobg]# yum update --exclude gnome-mplayer-0.9.8-1.fc12.i686
>

> With the same result. Not certain the above command is correct though?
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Bob
>
> --

I think the --exclude comes before the update.
From: Ean Schuessler The unrecognized minister of propaganda, E --
Debian, joking

Old 02-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Bernd Knoettig

Am 20.02.2010 08:52, schrieb Bob Goodwin:
> [root@box6 bobg]# yum update --exclude gnome-mplayer-0.9.8-1.fc12.i686

yum update --skip-broken

Bernd

Old 02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 01:55:41AM -0600, Larry Brower wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > Yum update does not complete this morning. I am presented with an error
> > message:
> >
> > --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> > Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 from installed has depsolving problems
> > --> Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
> > Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
> > Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
> > Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
> > You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> > You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
> > package-cleanup --dupes
> > rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
> >

> > I tried the above and:
> >
> > [root@box6 bobg]# yum update --exclude gnome-mplayer-0.9.8-1.fc12.i686
> >

> > With the same result. Not certain the above command is correct though?
> >
> > Any suggestions welcome.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> Ive come across this on CentOS a few times and the solution usually has
> been to manually download the affected RPM's from a repo and install
> them using rpm -Uvh --nodeps
> After that things worked correctly.

Unfortunately that's not usually a good response to this problem.
--nodeps can cause serious problems if you don't understand exactly
what it implies. The right method is one of these:

* Use 'yum update --skip-broken' to skip any breakages and update
everything that *can* be updated.

* Use PackageKit (either the easy-to-use GUI, or 'pkcon update') which
automatically uses the 'skip-broken' behavior.

In this particular case, unfortunately a Fedora maintainer pushed out
an update to a library which is used by a number of programs, without
making sure all the programs depending on the specific version were
also updated to match. This broke Miro as well, and I'm very sorry
for the trouble this might cause users.

We are making progress on an automated check that would stop this from
happening in the future. The lack of automation around this
particular process means that we have to trust maintainers to do the
right thing, and of course we're all human and make mistakes
sometimes. I apologize for any inconveniences this causes people --
please spread the word or link to this message where needed.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Fri, 2/19/10, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:

> Yum update does not complete this
> morning. I am presented with an error
> message:
>
> * * --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> * * Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 from installed has
> depsolving problems
> * * ***--> Missing Dependency:
> gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
> * * Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
> * * Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs =
> 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
> * * Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
> * * * You could try using --skip-broken to
> work around the problem
> * * * You could try running: package-cleanup
> --problems
> * * * * * * * *
> * * * * *
> ***package-cleanup --dupes
> * * * * * * * *
> * * * * * ***rpm -Va
> --nofiles --nodigest
>

> I tried the above and:
>
> * * [root@box6 bobg]# yum update --exclude
> gnome-mplayer-0.9.8-1.fc12.i686
>

> With the same result. Not certain the above command is
> correct though?
>
> Any suggestions welcome.

Yes. Try again tomorrow.

I got similar errors a few days after initially installing F12 in November. I tried a couple of things as you did, but still got those messages. I decided not to do the update; the system was running okay as it was. I would figure it out later. A couple of days later I tried updating again, and everything worked just fine.

My theory for the problem was that the proper dependencies weren't available for whatever reason; however, they were later.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 20/02/10 23:29, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Fri, 2/19/10, Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:
>

>> Yum update does not complete this
>> morning. I am presented with an error
>> message:
>>
> Yes. Try again tomorrow.
>
> I got similar errors a few days after initially installing F12 in November. I tried a couple of things as you did, but still got those messages. I decided not to do the update; the system was running okay as it was. I would figure it out later. A couple of days later I tried updating again, and everything worked just fine.
>
> My theory for the problem was that the proper dependencies weren't available for whatever reason; however, they were later.

Yes, I know you are correct, usually it works in a day or two. In this
case I suspect I have a dependency that few others have, probably due to
something I installed recently in an attempt to use some IP internet
cameras. I can un-install that stuff but will wait as you suggest and
see what happens. And removing what I installed may not be sufficient to
correct the problem if the removal leaves something else behind.

Also there was an earlier response stating:

"In this particular case, unfortunately a Fedora maintainer pushed out
an update to a library which is used by a number of programs, without
making sure all the programs depending on the specific version were
also updated to match. This broke Miro as well, and I'm very sorry
for the trouble this might cause users."

Thanks for your reply.

Bob