Old 02-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Jatin K

Default change HDD without Re-installing Fedora 12 ..!!!!

Dear list

I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook with 160GB hdd
installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB to 320GB
7200 RPM

is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
in old one

is there any way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
be something like that

Thnx in advance

/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri
Registerd Linux user No #501175
www.counter.li.org
No M$

Old 02-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Ed Greshko

Jatin K wrote:
> Dear list
>
> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook with 160GB hdd
> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB to 320GB
> 7200 RPM
>
> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
> in old one
>
> is there any way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
> be something like that
>

> Thnx in advance

I don't have an answer for your question. But, I do have a
request/observation.

There is no longer a "fedora-list@redhat.com" list. Any message sent to
that list will end up in the "users@lists.fedoraproject.org". So, there
is no need to send the same message to both lists and there is no
need/reason to Cc the old "fedora-list@redhat.com" list. The only thing
it does is have everyone on the list getting duplicates...

--
Must destroy mankind! (His watch alarm goes off) Ooh, lunchtime! --
Homer Simpson Homer Goes To College

Old 02-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Jatin K

On 02/20/2010 12:40 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Jatin K wrote:
>
>> Dear list
>>
>> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook with 160GB hdd
>> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB to 320GB
>> 7200 RPM
>>
>> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
>> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
>> in old one
>>
>> is there any way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
>> be something like that
>>

>> Thnx in advance
>>

> I don't have an answer for your question. But, I do have a
> request/observation.
>
> There is no longer a "fedora-list@redhat.com" list. Any message sent to
> that list will end up in the "users@lists.fedoraproject.org". So, there
> is no need to send the same message to both lists and there is no
> need/reason to Cc the old "fedora-list@redhat.com" list. The only thing
> it does is have everyone on the list getting duplicates...

I'm extremely sorry for this ..... I was done by mistake sorry again

/(_)

Old 02-20-2010, 06:28 AM
Joel Gomberg

On 02/19/2010 10:48 PM, Jatin K wrote:
> Dear list
>
> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook with 160GB hdd
> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB to 320GB
> 7200 RPM
>
> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
> in old one
>
> is there any way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
> be something like that

Clonezilla will do what you want.

--
Joel

Old 02-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Jatin K

On 02/20/2010 12:58 PM, Joel Gomberg wrote:
> On 02/19/2010 10:48 PM, Jatin K wrote:
>
>> Dear list
>>
>> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook with 160GB hdd
>> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB to 320GB
>> 7200 RPM
>>
>> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
>> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
>> in old one
>>
>> is there any way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
>> be something like that
>>
> Clonezilla will do what you want.

ok thnx ..... one more thing to ask

what will happen if I clone 160GB to 320GB ... Will it be possible to
use remaining space ... ??

/(_)

Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Andrew Haley

On 02/20/2010 06:46 AM, Jatin K wrote:
> Dear list
>
> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook with 160GB hdd
> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB to 320GB
> 7200 RPM
>
> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
> in old one
>
> is there any way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
> be something like that

Sure, you can just partition your new disk and then copy over the data
from the old partitions by using dd.

The only fiddly part is installing the boot loader. To do that I'd
install a minimal system on the new disk, make sure it boots and then
copy over everything from the old disk except the /boot partition.
You'll have to partition the new disk by hand, though.

Andrew.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Jatin K

On 02/20/2010 03:00 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 02/20/2010 06:46 AM, Jatin K wrote:
>
>> Dear list
>>
>> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook with 160GB hdd
>> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB to 320GB
>> 7200 RPM
>>
>> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
>> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
>> in old one
>>
>> is there any way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
>> be something like that
>>

> Sure, you can just partition your new disk and then copy over the data
> from the old partitions by using dd.
>
> The only fiddly part is installing the boot loader. To do that I'd
> install a minimal system on the new disk, make sure it boots and then
> copy over everything from the old disk except the /boot partition.
> You'll have to partition the new disk by hand, though.
>
> Andrew.

I was thinking about clonezilla ...have you ever used it ... if yes
..please advice abt the following Qs

is there anything important things or steps that I need to keep in mind
.... when using clonezilla disk-to-disk clone ?

is clonezilla capable to clone internal HDD ( sata ) to external HDD (
usb )

/(_)

Old 02-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Andrew Haley

On 02/20/2010 09:34 AM, Jatin K wrote:
> On 02/20/2010 03:00 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 02/20/2010 06:46 AM, Jatin K wrote:
>>
>>> Dear list
>>>
>>> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook with 160GB hdd
>>> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB to 320GB
>>> 7200 RPM
>>>
>>> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
>>> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
>>> in old one
>>>
>>> is there any way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
>>> be something like that
>>>

>> Sure, you can just partition your new disk and then copy over the data
>> from the old partitions by using dd.
>>
>> The only fiddly part is installing the boot loader. To do that I'd
>> install a minimal system on the new disk, make sure it boots and then
>> copy over everything from the old disk except the /boot partition.
>> You'll have to partition the new disk by hand, though.

> I was thinking about clonezilla ...have you ever used it ... if yes
> ..please advice abt the following Qs

I'm sorry, but I've never used clonezilla. It sounds really nice, though.

Andrew.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 AM
"Michael D. Setzer II"

Date sent: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:16:11 +0530
From: Jatin K <ssh.fedora@gmail.com>
To: "Community assistance,
and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list@redhat.com>
Subject: change HDD without Re-installing Fedora 12 ..!!!!
Send reply to: Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
<mailto:users-
request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscrib e>
<mailto:users-
request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> Dear list
>
> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook with 160GB hdd
> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB to 320GB
> 7200 RPM
>
> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
> in old one
>
> is there any way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
> be something like that
>

> Thnx in advance

You might also want to look at g4l. It does disk imaging and has a clone
option for a disk to disk option.

The latest released version is on sourceforge, but a later version is at
ftp://amd64gcc.dyndns.org/g4l-v0.33alpha12.iso

That is a bootable ISO image, but it can also be setup to run from the grub
menu.

I'm the current maintainer, and build it using my Fedora systems and use it
for my classroom machines.

Are you using LVM or other setup?
In making an image, it will be the same size.If ext2/3/4 you could proable use
parted magic to resize non-LVM partitions.

> /(_)
> ^ ^ Jatin Khatri
> Registerd Linux user No #501175
> www.counter.li.org
> No M$

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 9,387,769.025659 | EINSTEIN 3,775,826.130851
ROSETTA 1,704,354.844311 | ABC 118,615.823709