Old 02-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Ed Greshko

Default nscd cache works how?

Tom Horsley wrote:
> I get these annoying yp client call timeouts on my desktop
> at work. Doing some googling, I find that I should enable
> nscd to cache the lookups.
>
> That sounds like a good idea, but I'm just curious how the
> devil it actually works. If my yp.conf file points to some
> remote NIS server, how does the nscd cache insinuate its
> way into the middle of the NIS lookups?
>
> Is talking to nscd built into the glibc code so that
> it will use the cache if it is there, and talk to the
> remote server otherwise?
>
> Just curious. I've enabled it, now I'll see if the yp
> errors stop...

Are you asking for more detail than the second paragraph of the nscd man
page?

--
union, n.: A dues-paying club workers wield to strike management.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:14 AM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:03:39 +0800
Ed Greshko wrote:

> Are you asking for more detail than the second paragraph of the nscd man
> page?

Yea, that just says it "provides cacheing", I wasn't sure what
that means. Maybe it implies the glibc code is the place where
the insinuation happens, but I'm not sure :-)

> > More curiosity: My mailer claims I sent this yesterday, but
> > it hasn't shown up in the archives or my copy of the users
> > list, so I'm trying it again. Anyone have any idea where the
> > original might have gone? (Maybe I used the wrong sender addr?).

I think my mail setup was adversely affected by the highly
reliable (NOT) comcast internet connection these last few days.
A reboot and a "mailq -q" seems to have gotten things going
again (for now).