Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default installing PECL extensions via "pecl" versus fedora packages

fairly new to PHP and PECL extensions on fedora 12 so i'm curious
about the small number of fedora pre-packaged extensions.

as an example, using "pecl", i can install the "memcache" extension:

# pecl install memcache

that downloads the source, configures it, builds it and eventually
gives me the extension file /usr/lib64/php/modules/memcache.so, plus a
warning:

Build process completed successfully
Installing '/usr/lib64/php/modules/memcache.so'
install ok: channel://pecl.php.net/memcache-2.2.5
configuration option "php_ini" is not set to php.ini location
You should add "extension=memcache.so" to php.ini

fair enough. and pecl tells me that that extension is now
installed:

# pecl list
Installed packages, channel pecl.php.net:
Package Version State
memcache 2.2.5 stable
#

however, i noticed that there is a small number of pre-built pecl
packages for fedora as well:

# yum search pecl
... snip ...
php-pecl-apc.x86_64 : APC caches and optimizes PHP intermediate code
php-pecl-geoip.x86_64 : Extension to map IP addresses to geographic places
php-pecl-gmagick.x86_64 : Provides a wrapper to the GraphicsMagick library
php-pecl-imagick.x86_64 : Provides a wrapper to the ImageMagick library
php-pecl-lzf.x86_64 : Extension to handle LZF de/compression
php-pecl-mailparse.x86_64 : PHP PECL package for parsing and working with email messages
php-pecl-memcache.x86_64 : Extension to work with the Memcached caching daemon
php-pecl-memcached.x86_64 : Extension to work with the Memcached caching daemon
php-pecl-ncurses.x86_64 : Terminal screen handling and optimization package
php-pecl-parsekit.x86_64 : PHP Opcode Analyser
php-pecl-pdflib.x86_64 : Package for generating PDF files
php-pecl-radius.x86_64 : Radius client library
php-pecl-runkit.x86_64 : Mangle with user defined functions and classes
php-pecl-selinux.x86_64 : SELinux binding for PHP scripting language
php-pecl-sphinx.x86_64 : PECL extension for Sphinx SQL full-text search engine
php-pecl-ssh2.x86_64 : Bindings for the libssh2 library
php-pecl-xdebug.x86_64 : PECL package for debugging PHP scripts
#

including that very same memcache extension, so i can install it
*that* way as well, which eventually gives me:

# rpm -ql php-pecl-memcache
/etc/php.d/memcache.ini
/usr/lib64/php/modules/memcache.so
/usr/share/doc/php-pecl-memcache-3.0.4
/usr/share/doc/php-pecl-memcache-3.0.4/CHANGELOG
/usr/share/doc/php-pecl-memcache-3.0.4/CREDITS
/usr/share/doc/php-pecl-memcache-3.0.4/README
/usr/share/doc/php-pecl-memcache-3.0.4/example.php
/usr/share/doc/php-pecl-memcache-3.0.4/memcache.php
/usr/share/pear/.pkgxml/php-pecl-memcache.xml
#

the difference here is that installing by fedora package creates
/etc/php.d/memcache.ini which means that extension is ready to go.
(curiously, installing by package installs the .so extension being
marked executable, while installing via "pecl" doesn't. not a big
deal.)

so the question is, given that installing via the "pecl" command
gives one access to hundreds of possible PHP extensions, what's the
rationale behind that small number of fedora-packaged extensions? is
there some reason someone decided to pre-package just those? just
curious.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 02-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Christof Damian

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 14:12, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> *so the question is, given that installing via the "pecl" command
> gives one access to hundreds of possible PHP extensions, what's the
> rationale behind that small number of fedora-packaged extensions? *is
> there some reason someone decided to pre-package just those? *just
> curious.

Yes, that is the only reason. It is the same with the "pear" command.

The advantage of RPMs is that it will also pull in libraries (like the
memcache libs) which are needed for the pecl package. And they will be
updated with the rest of the system through yum.

The disadvantage is that it is a bit of work to get them packaged (and
maintained) for Fedora.

I stopped installing non RPM software on Fedora / RHEL a few years
ago, because I want the power of RPM and for private use it is quite
easy to create a quick and dirty RPM from a pecl or pear package. And
once you got that it is easy to install on multiple machines too.

Christof