Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 AM
"Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano"

Default quite unusable wifi

Hi list,
i have an acer laptop running fedora 12 updated frequently and since
fedora 9 i can't really use my wifi as i want.
I have an atheros card:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

running latest kernel:

Linux daneel 2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Mon Jan 18 20:22:46 UTC
2010 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

the wifi power on, connect to the AP and then get intermittent
connection flooding the dmesg with:
ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)
ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)
ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)
ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)
ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)
ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)
ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)

and every line (approximately every minute or so) i loose my connection
for about 30sec to a minute.
Due to this the wifi card is unusable.

I found that this problem should be fixed at least in 2.6.27 kernel:
http://www.kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-ath5k-devel/2008/11/27/4246164

So if anyone can help me pointing to some links, recompiling the module
or loading it with some special parameter is very very very welcome!

Thanks a lot

Pietro

Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Andras Simon

On 2/19/10, Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano <monto84@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
> i have an acer laptop running fedora 12 updated frequently and since
> fedora 9 i can't really use my wifi as i want.

Hi Pietro,

The reason I'm responding is not because I know what causes your
problems, but because I seem to have the same card, I'm also running
F12, and wi-fi works. So maybe this shows that your problems are not
hw related, and there's hope.

> I have an atheros card:
>
> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
> 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

I have the same here in an Acer netbook.

> running latest kernel:
>
> Linux daneel 2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Mon Jan 18 20:22:46 UTC
> 2010 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I still use 2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686.PAE #1 SMP (just because I haven't
rebooted for a while).

> the wifi power on, connect to the AP and then get intermittent
> connection flooding the dmesg with:
> ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)
> ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)
> ath5k phy0: noise floor calibration timeout (2442MHz)
> ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo

I get messages like these occasionally.

> and every line (approximately every minute or so) i loose my connection
> for about 30sec to a minute.

No such problems here.

> Due to this the wifi card is unusable.
>
> I found that this problem should be fixed at least in 2.6.27 kernel:
> http://www.kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-ath5k-devel/2008/11/27/4246164
>
> So if anyone can help me pointing to some links, recompiling the module
> or loading it with some special parameter is very very very welcome!

I didn't (or don't remember doing) anything special. If you want, I
can send you details about my setup. E.g. here's the output of
lsmod | grep ath

ath5k 129920 0
mac80211 149696 1 ath5k
ath 7068 1 ath5k
cfg80211 73044 3 ath5k,mac80211,ath

Andras

Old 02-21-2010, 09:58 PM
NoSpaze

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 12:29 +0100, Pietro "m0nt0" Montorfano wrote:
> 05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
> 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

Confirmation. This worked fine on my old apartment (Toshiba satellite,
atheros AR242x, F12, x86_64) with a linksys wifi. Now I live temporarily
in Argentina, and the new wifi keeps throwing

ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo
ath5k phy0: unsupported jumbo

Tried madwifi from ATRPMS, doesn't work.

Not solved. Cant' find any solution: just using a wired eth0.

Greets!
Rodolfo Alcazar - rodolfo.alcazar@padep.org.bo
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962