Old 02-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

Default Skype can't find libXss.so.1

And yes, I know this is the only post in this thread. I reported this
problem with the first Skype beta for Linux, and was dismayed that it
happened with the second as well. It occurs with both the RPM and the
statically linked version:

$ skype &
skype: error while loading shared libraries: libXss.so.1: cannot

"yum list" doesn't find anything resembling the desired library. I
suggested on Skype's Linux forum that they provide an RPM specifically
for Fedora 11, but they still only provide one for "Ten and Up" and
it's only 32-bit. Ubuntu gets 64-bit debs, what is Fedora, chopped
liver?

I made sure I had the i586 versions of all the dependencies. Their
download page says it wan't libasound2; am I correct that on Fedora,
that is the alsa library? Anyway I installed the 32-bit alsa library,
and didn't get any complaints about it when Skype ran.

I really, really wanted to use Skype on Fedora so I tracked down the
missing dependency: on Fedora it is called libXScrnSaver. If you're
running 64-bit as I am, it's not enough to have the 64-bit
libXScrnSaver installed, you need to do:

# yum install libXScrnSaver.i586

Despite the totally different library filename, it satisfies the
dynamic link, and Skype launches right up!

The only thing I had to do to get it working after that was to go into
the Options and select my Logitech USB headset as the input and output
audio device.

This was really important for me because my business partner is
overseas, and is really into Skype for Mac OS X. I could have used
another telephony package for Linux myself, but it would have been
much harder for me to get my partner to set up an alternative package
on his Mac.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 02-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> "yum list" doesn't find anything resembling the desired library. I
> suggested on Skype's Linux forum that they provide an RPM specifically
> for Fedora 11, but they still only provide one for "Ten and Up" and
> it's only 32-bit. Ubuntu gets 64-bit debs, what is Fedora, chopped
> liver?

Skype only provides 32-bit binaries. Period. The "64-bit" Ubuntu package
is not 64-bit.

In the future, you can use "yum whatprovides */libfoo.so*" to find a
package based on library name.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:43 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Thursday 18 February 2010 08:41 AM, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> "yum list" doesn't find anything resembling the desired library. I
> suggested on Skype's Linux forum that they provide an RPM specifically
> for Fedora 11, but they still only provide one for "Ten and Up" and
> it's only 32-bit.

Skype works much better on Fedora 12. Bordering on flawless

--
Suvayu