Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default recommendations for version controlling /etc on a new f12 box?

i'm about to install f12 fresh on a new laptop and i thought it
would be fun to version control all of /etc since that's where all the
fun happens. anyone doing that? recommendations? a quick google
found this:

http://aymanh.com/version-control-linux-configuration-files-etc-etckeeper

i'm just curious if there's a strategy that's clearly superior to the
rest, or if this sort of thing is even worth it.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Aioanei Rares

Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Aioanei Rares

Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 17:06 +0200, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> On 02/18/2010 03:55 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i'm about to install f12 fresh on a new laptop and i thought it
> > would be fun to version control all of /etc since that's where all the
> > fun happens. anyone doing that? recommendations? a quick google
> > found this:
> >
> > http://aymanh.com/version-control-linux-configuration-files-etc-etckeeper

That looks sort of cute.

> > i'm just curious if there's a strategy that's clearly superior to the
> > rest, or if this sort of thing is even worth it.

I haven't done it, but I think about it occasionally. Maybe next
installation.

Before I saw this, I figured on using Subversion.

> rsync

rsync doesn't preserve revision histories.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 02-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Bill Davidsen

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'm about to install f12 fresh on a new laptop and i thought it
> would be fun to version control all of /etc since that's where all the
> fun happens. anyone doing that? recommendations? a quick google
> found this:
>
> http://aymanh.com/version-control-linux-configuration-files-etc-etckeeper
>
> i'm just curious if there's a strategy that's clearly superior to the
> rest, or if this sort of thing is even worth it.

I'm a great believer in RCS for this:
- all on the machine, no need to set up servers
- easy to roll back if needed
- easy to embed version, date, etc, in comments
to be sure you have what you think you do.
- right capability where multiple admins are not changing
things all the time. Or at least the same things.
- if you use the comments capability, leaves a good audit trail.

Tools intended to solve multi-user development are more complex than they need
to be. CVS, git, yady, yada, yada.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-18-2010, 05:38 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 17:06 +0200, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> > On 02/18/2010 03:55 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > i'm about to install f12 fresh on a new laptop and i thought
> > > it would be fun to version control all of /etc since that's
> > > where all the fun happens. anyone doing that?
> > > recommendations? a quick google found this:
> > >
> > > http://aymanh.com/version-control-linux-configuration-files-etc-etckeeper
>
> That looks sort of cute.
>
> > > i'm just curious if there's a strategy that's clearly superior
> > > to the rest, or if this sort of thing is even worth it.
>
> I haven't done it, but I think about it occasionally. Maybe next
> installation.
>
> Before I saw this, I figured on using Subversion.

technically, etckeeper seems to be little more than a (by default)
wrapper around git. i could just as easily finish the install, "cd
/etc" and run "git init" to create the initial repo there, then "git
add" to add it all and make that the first commit, then just commit
after each significant change. etckeeper looks to just be a pretty
front-end to the underlying git.

unless i'm misreading it badly.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

Subversion can provide automated continuous backup with a post-commit
hook that calls the hot-backup.py script. The hot backup makes a
compressed tarball of the entire repository, placed in the directory
of your choosing. The name of the tarball is taking from the
repository's revision number.

(A Subversion repository has a single revision number for the whole
repository, or effectively, if it is at revision 42, and you check in
just one file, then all the files that were at 42 will also now be at
43.)

The hot backup will optionally delete older tarballs, so if you like
you can keep just a fixed number of them around.

I use this for my own personal source code, in addition to a cron job
that runs rsync on the directory where I drop the Subversion tarballs,
to copy them to an external drive. Once a week, I swap that drive
with an identical drive that I keep in a bank safe deposit box.

I expect that it would work to put your whole /etc directory in
Subversion if you tried. Alternatively, you could have a mirror of
the /etc tree somewhere else, then use rsync to deploy updates when
you were sure they were ready.

I Got Religion about backups a little over a year ago, when I lost the
third hard drive of my career. I managed to recover most of the
files, but some were a total loss. I recovered all the files from my
first failure, but the drive itself was a goner. The second drive
started making these loud clicks, and was an instant, total loss.

I'm not where I want to be with my backup system, as it is still
mostly manually-operated, but I'm getting close.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 13:20 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i'm about to install f12 fresh on a new laptop and i thought it
> > would be fun to version control all of /etc since that's where all the
> > fun happens. anyone doing that? recommendations? a quick google
> > found this:
> >
> > http://aymanh.com/version-control-linux-configuration-files-etc-etckeeper
> >
> > i'm just curious if there's a strategy that's clearly superior to the
> > rest, or if this sort of thing is even worth it.
> >
> I'm a great believer in RCS for this:
> - all on the machine, no need to set up servers

True of Subversion if you only want it for the local machine.

> - easy to roll back if needed

True of Subversion.

> - easy to embed version, date, etc, in comments
> to be sure you have what you think you do.

True of Subversion. In fact, it uses basically the same mechanism.

> - right capability where multiple admins are not changing
> things all the time. Or at least the same things.

True enough, distributed development environments offer more, but you
don't need to use it. And with Subversion, if you don't use it, you
don't need to set it up (at least where "it" refers to a server).

> - if you use the comments capability, leaves a good audit trail.

Subversion doesn't have the capability to log all commit comments in the
checked-out file, but I find that enough of that makes the file itself
pretty cumbersome. You can always go back to the repository to see the
comments. And there are some decent GUI tools that make repository
browsing relatively pleasant. I don't know if the same can be said for
RCS.

> Tools intended to solve multi-user development are more complex than they need
> to be. CVS, git, yady, yada, yada.

I don't recall if CVS required a server. CVS is basically a front end
on RCS to support distributed development, so for a single user, RCS is
simpler.

I know next to nothing about git. I used to use RCS long ago, but I use
Subversion for another project, so using it in this context would save
me learning another tool. And I like the Subversion repository
conceptual model better than CVS, although for this sort of routine,
single-user situation, I don't think it matters much.

[I don't want this to degenerate into a religious war (c.f. vi vs.
emacs). Just sharing ideas...]

Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
steve

On 02/18/2010 07:25 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> i'm about to install f12 fresh on a new laptop and i thought it
> would be fun to version control all of /etc since that's where all the
> fun happens. anyone doing that? recommendations? a quick google
> found this:
>
> http://aymanh.com/version-control-linux-configuration-files-etc-etckeeper
>
> i'm just curious if there's a strategy that's clearly superior to the
> rest, or if this sort of thing is even worth it.

Coincidentally, I just came across backintime[1] today. That might be useful too.

cheers,
- steve

http://backintime.le-web.org/
http://lifehacker.com/5212899/back-in-time-does-full-linux-backups-in-one-click