Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Paolo Galtieri

Default strange gnome login problem

I went to use one of my systems running F12 this morning and I found it
in a very strange state. I had left it running VMware Workstation 7
defragmenting the virtual drive associated with one of my VMs. When I
went back to it my monitor (24" Gateway) had popped up a notice saying
the resolution was not set optimally. I don't know why it did this
since it was working fine earlier. No matter what I did I could not
login to the system. The gnome-screensaver was running so I logged in
from another system and killed the screen saver, but I still could not
login. So I rebooted the system. After it came up I was able to login,
but all that is displayed is my desktop background. No desktop icons,
no upper and lower gnome panels, and no terminal sessions; however, when
I entered <ctrl-alt-f2> to get to a vertual console and entered

ps axlw | grep 500

where 500 is my numeric user id it showed gnome-session was running,
gnome-terminal was running, and there were 12 bash shells running. No
matter how many times I reboot and try to login I still get nothing
displayed other than the desktop background. If I right click on the
desktop I do get the popup to create folder, launcher, etc.

Any one have any idea how to fix this?

On a separate note the gnome-screensaver and VMware Workstation do not
work well together. There have been many occasions where I will be
doing stuff in one on my VMs, click on one of the other virtual desktops
and all of a sudden gnome-screensaver kicks in and I have to login
again. At the time this happens the mouse is being controlled by F12
since I was able to click on the virtual desktop applet.

Thanks,
Paolo

Old 02-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Sawrub

On 02/17/2010 11:56 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> is displayed is my desktop background. No desktop icons,

Please check the file manager. I too faced a similar issue and
reinstalling Nautilus fixed it.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644