Old 02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Gary Waters

Default Help! - F12 Nvidia boot errors

Greetings from newbieland,

I tend to fall behind and upgrade Fedora every 2-3 versions down the
line. I just installed F12, did some research on installing the nvida
drivers. I have uninstalled nouveau and kmod-nvidia is also not
installed. The proprietary nvidia driver appeared to install without any
diffulties and appears to be working in system/preferences/nvidia
x-server settings; however, I get the following bootup error messages:

checking for module nvidia.ko in fc12: failed
nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12x86_64 was not found
the nvidia driver will not be enabled until one is found

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of googling and
experimenting. Could this have something to do with xorg.conf? I have
been reading so many different "solutions" that I'm beginning to feel
vapourlocked and would rather get advice here before I screw things up more.

Thanks!

Gary

Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 09:48 -0500, Gary Waters wrote:
> Greetings from newbieland,
>
> I tend to fall behind and upgrade Fedora every 2-3 versions down the
> line. I just installed F12, did some research on installing the nvida
> drivers. I have uninstalled nouveau and kmod-nvidia is also not
> installed. The proprietary nvidia driver appeared to install without any
> diffulties and appears to be working in system/preferences/nvidia
> x-server settings; however, I get the following bootup error messages:
>
> checking for module nvidia.ko in fc12: failed
> nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12x86_64 was not found
> the nvidia driver will not be enabled until one is found
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of googling and
> experimenting. Could this have something to do with xorg.conf? I have
> been reading so many different "solutions" that I'm beginning to feel
> vapourlocked and would rather get advice here before I screw things up more.

My advice would be to remove the nvidia-packaged drivers and install
kmod-nvidia from rpmfusion. That's worked reliably for me with recent
versions. Also added "rdblacklist=nouveau" to the kernel line
in /etc/grub/conf.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Matthew Saltzman

Old 02-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Gary Waters

On 02/17/2010 12:42 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 09:48 -0500, Gary Waters wrote:
>> Greetings from newbieland,
>>
>> I tend to fall behind and upgrade Fedora every 2-3 versions down the
>> line. I just installed F12, did some research on installing the nvida
>> drivers. I have uninstalled nouveau and kmod-nvidia is also not
>> installed. The proprietary nvidia driver appeared to install without any
>> diffulties and appears to be working in system/preferences/nvidia
>> x-server settings; however, I get the following bootup error messages:
>>
>> checking for module nvidia.ko in fc12: failed
>> nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12x86_64 was not found
>> the nvidia driver will not be enabled until one is found
>>
>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of googling and
>> experimenting. Could this have something to do with xorg.conf? I have
>> been reading so many different "solutions" that I'm beginning to feel
>> vapourlocked and would rather get advice here before I screw things up more.

> My advice would be to remove the nvidia-packaged drivers and install
> kmod-nvidia from rpmfusion. That's worked reliably for me with recent
> versions. Also added "rdblacklist=nouveau" to the kernel line
> in /etc/grub/conf.

I just tried the installation method here:

It made no difference. I still get the error messages in the orange
triangle at the login screen

Step 13 for this method is as follows:

13. $ cd /etc/X11 && vi xorg.conf
Add the following lines to the "Files" section:
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"

Would I need to modify anything there before uninstalling the nvidia and
proceeding with Kmod? I assume this is the correct procedure for kmod:

http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod

Old 02-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Gary Waters

Old 02-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Steven I Usdansky

Here's how I do it:
1. Manually run the nvidia driver installer
2. (as root modprobe nvidia

Old 02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Gary Waters

On 02/17/2010 04:13 PM, Steven I Usdansky wrote:
> Here's how I do it:
> 1. Manually run the nvidia driver installer
> 2. (as root modprobe nvidia

Yes, I did all that and still got the eror messages. Now I installed the
kmod driver as per the instrcutions here:

http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod

Now I get this error message at the login screen:

enabling the nvidia driver: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: line 520: 1069
segementation fault "$@"

I also noticed that the kmod driver does not see my asus LCD screen. It
says unknown. Despite the errors with the nvidia manual install, it did
identify the screen and I could adjust digital brightness, sharpness, etc...

Would it be possible the error messages in the warning triangle at the
bottom right of the login screen are simply a fact of life for everybody
not using nouveau?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 13:28 -0500, Gary Waters wrote:
> On 02/17/2010 12:42 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 09:48 -0500, Gary Waters wrote:
> >> Greetings from newbieland,
> >>
> >> I tend to fall behind and upgrade Fedora every 2-3 versions down the
> >> line. I just installed F12, did some research on installing the nvida
> >> drivers. I have uninstalled nouveau and kmod-nvidia is also not
> >> installed. The proprietary nvidia driver appeared to install without any
> >> diffulties and appears to be working in system/preferences/nvidia
> >> x-server settings; however, I get the following bootup error messages:
> >>
> >> checking for module nvidia.ko in fc12: failed
> >> nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12x86_64 was not found
> >> the nvidia driver will not be enabled until one is found
> >>
> >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of googling and
> >> experimenting. Could this have something to do with xorg.conf? I have
> >> been reading so many different "solutions" that I'm beginning to feel
> >> vapourlocked and would rather get advice here before I screw things up more.
>

> > My advice would be to remove the nvidia-packaged drivers and install
> > kmod-nvidia from rpmfusion. That's worked reliably for me with recent
> > versions. Also added "rdblacklist=nouveau" to the kernel line
> > in /etc/grub/conf.
>

> I just tried the installation method here:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=234595
>
> It made no difference. I still get the error messages in the orange
> triangle at the login screen
>
> Step 13 for this method is as follows:
>
> 13. $ cd /etc/X11 && vi xorg.conf
> Add the following lines to the "Files" section:
> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers"
> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
>
> Would I need to modify anything there before uninstalling the nvidia and
> proceeding with Kmod? I assume this is the correct procedure for kmod:
>
> http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod

That looks correct, except that it looks like it misses blacklisting the
nouveau module at boot.

I think you should be able to just delete xorg.conf before installing.
Fedora currently doesn't use it for the drivers it distributes, so the
kmod-nvidia stuff should know to create it. Fedorasolved lists a HOWTO
to make sure you've deleted everything from the nvidia run package. One
test is to make sure you can boot and get graphics from the nouveau
driver again.

If you have an older card, be sure to get the right version of the
driver package.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Matthew Saltzman

Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Gary Waters

On 02/17/2010 06:03 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 13:28 -0500, Gary Waters wrote:

>>> My advice would be to remove the nvidia-packaged drivers and install
>>> kmod-nvidia from rpmfusion. That's worked reliably for me with recent
>>> versions. Also added "rdblacklist=nouveau" to the kernel line
>>> in /etc/grub/conf.
>>

>> I just tried the installation method here:
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=234595
>>
>> It made no difference. I still get the error messages in the orange
>> triangle at the login screen
>>
>> Step 13 for this method is as follows:
>>
>> 13. $ cd /etc/X11&& vi xorg.conf
>> Add the following lines to the "Files" section:
>> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
>> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers"
>> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
>>
>> Would I need to modify anything there before uninstalling the nvidia and
>> proceeding with Kmod? I assume this is the correct procedure for kmod:
>>
>> http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod
>
> That looks correct, except that it looks like it misses blacklisting the
> nouveau module at boot.
>
> I think you should be able to just delete xorg.conf before installing.
> Fedora currently doesn't use it for the drivers it distributes, so the
> kmod-nvidia stuff should know to create it. Fedorasolved lists a HOWTO
> to make sure you've deleted everything from the nvidia run package. One
> test is to make sure you can boot and get graphics from the nouveau
> driver again.
>
> If you have an older card, be sure to get the right version of the
> driver package.

Ok.... I reinstalled the nvidia driver again...the run installation. On
a whim I omitted ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers" in
xorg.conf and everything fell perfectly into place. No more error
messages. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.!

Gary