Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Bob Goodwin

Default Internetcameras -

I bought a Zonet ZVC7611W "IP Camera" Newegg had on sale with the
intention of watching an area I can't see from the window near my desk.
They work ok with the Windows software, I can view the video images.

I can access it over our wireless LAN with Firefox from this F-12
computer and set all the configuration parameters without a problem and
in fact did so. But I don't know how to go about viewing the pictures.

Video applications such as VLC and Totem don't respond to the IP address
assigned via dhcp at the the wireless router, 192.168.1.51. Those
programs seem to want a file rather than an URL?

[bobg@box6 ~]$ vlc 192.168.1.51
VLC media player 1.0.4 Goldeneye

....... snip ......

No such file or directory
libdvdread: Could not open 192.168.1.51
libdvdnav: vm: failed to open/read the DVD
[0x7f90f40011f8] access_file access error: cannot open file
192.168.1.51 (No such file or directory)
[0x7f90f40011f8] main access error: File reading failed
[0x7f90f40011f8] main access error: VLC could not open the file
"192.168.1.51".
[0x7f9108000c98] main input error: open of `192.168.1.51' failed: no
suitable access module
[0x7f9108000c98] main input error: Your input can't be opened
[0x7f9108000c98] main input error: VLC is unable to open the MRL
'192.168.1.51'. Check the log for details.

What log were?

Once again my ignorance is showing. What do I need to do to make this
work? The camera spec's are as below:

9. Specifications
Image Sensor
Image Sensor 300K pixels 1/4” Color CMOS Sensor
Resolution 640x480
Lens
Aperture (F/No.) 1.8
Focus Length 4.8mm
Image Processing
Compression MJPEG
Frame rate 20fps @VGA , 30fps @QVGA
Image Resolution 176 x 144, 320 x 240, 640 x 480
System
Browser Internet Explore 6.0 and above
Supported OS Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003/Vista/7
Power 12V
Temperature: 0°C ~ 45°C
Environment
Humidity: 10% ~ 90% non-condensing
Approvals CE/FCC class B
Communication
One RJ45 port; IEEE 802.3u compliant 10/100 Mbps Fast
Ethernet
Ethernet with Auto-MDIX
Wireless IEEE802.11b/802.11g
TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, DHCP, NTP, DNS, DDNS, SMTP, FTP,
Supported Protocols
HTTP, PPPoE, UPnP

Thanks

Bob

Old 02-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Maks B

Hi.

Try
vlc http://192.168.1.51
~B

Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 17/02/10 08:17, Maks B wrote:
Try
> vlc http://192.168.1.51

I tried that, here again:

[bobg@box6 ~]$ vlc http://192.168.1.51
VLC media player 1.0.4 Goldeneye
[0x2418858] main interface error: option x11-display does not exist
[0x22fb098] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use
'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Remote control interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
*** Unable to locate valid config! Falling back to auto-detection...
*** Unable to locate PAC! Falling back to direct...
[0x7eff280011f8] access_mms access error: error: HTTP/1.1 401
Unauthorized
[0x7eff3c000c98] main input error: open of `http://192.168.1.51'
failed: (null)
[0x7eff3c000c98] main input error: Your input can't be opened
[0x7eff3c000c98] main input error: VLC is unable to open the MRL
'http://192.168.1.51'. Check the log for details.

I've still got something wrong!

Bob
.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Steven Stern

On 02/17/2010 07:56 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 17/02/10 08:17, Maks B wrote:
> Try
>> vlc http://192.168.1.51
>
> I tried that, here again:
>
> [bobg@box6 ~]$ vlc http://192.168.1.51
> VLC media player 1.0.4 Goldeneye
> [0x2418858] main interface error: option x11-display does not exist
> [0x22fb098] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use
> 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
> Remote control interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
> *** Unable to locate valid config! Falling back to auto-detection...
> *** Unable to locate PAC! Falling back to direct...
> [0x7eff280011f8] access_mms access error: error: HTTP/1.1 401
> Unauthorized
> [0x7eff3c000c98] main input error: open of `http://192.168.1.51'
> failed: (null)
> [0x7eff3c000c98] main input error: Your input can't be opened
> [0x7eff3c000c98] main input error: VLC is unable to open the MRL
> 'http://192.168.1.51'. Check the log for details.
>
> I've still got something wrong!
>
> Bob
> .

When you use the camera from Windows, do you use a browser to view the
image? If so, can you find anything relevant in the page source?

If not, what does netstat show while viewing the image? It may use some
port other than 80.

--
-- Steve

Old 02-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Bill Davidsen

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I bought a Zonet ZVC7611W "IP Camera" Newegg had on sale with the
> intention of watching an area I can't see from the window near my desk.
> They work ok with the Windows software, I can view the video images.
>
> I can access it over our wireless LAN with Firefox from this F-12
> computer and set all the configuration parameters without a problem and
> in fact did so. But I don't know how to go about viewing the pictures.
>
> Video applications such as VLC and Totem don't respond to the IP address
> assigned via dhcp at the the wireless router, 192.168.1.51. Those
> programs seem to want a file rather than an URL?

First, I would use tcpdump to see what it actually is using, but I suspect you
need some form of the "UCP://" address, to capture and display streaming video.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 18/02/10 12:54, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I bought a Zonet ZVC7611W "IP Camera" Newegg had on sale with the
>> intention of watching an area I can't see from the window near my desk.
>> They work ok with the Windows software, I can view the video images.
>>
>> I can access it over our wireless LAN with Firefox from this F-12
>> computer and set all the configuration parameters without a problem and
>> in fact did so. But I don't know how to go about viewing the pictures.
>>
>> Video applications such as VLC and Totem don't respond to the IP address
>> assigned via dhcp at the the wireless router, 192.168.1.51. Those
>> programs seem to want a file rather than an URL?
>>

> First, I would use tcpdump to see what it actually is using, but I suspect you
> need some form of the "UCP://" address, to capture and display streaming video.

Where do I tell tcpdump to look. tcpdump -eth0 just displays a help
file. I don't know how to use it. Ok, the man page helps.

tcpdump -i eth0 displays a lot of data as below:

On 18/02/10 12:54, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I bought a Zonet ZVC7611W "IP Camera" Newegg had on sale with the
>> intention of watching an area I can't see from the window near my desk.
>> They work ok with the Windows software, I can view the video images.
>>
>> I can access it over our wireless LAN with Firefox from this F-12
>> computer and set all the configuration parameters without a problem and
>> in fact did so. But I don't know how to go about viewing the pictures.
>>
>> Video applications such as VLC and Totem don't respond to the IP address
>> assigned via dhcp at the the wireless router, 192.168.1.51. Those
>> programs seem to want a file rather than an URL?
>>

> First, I would use tcpdump to see what it actually is using, but I suspect you
> need some form of the "UCP://" address, to capture and display streaming video.

Where do I tell tcpdump to look. tcpdump -eth0 just displays a
help file. I don't know how to use it. Ok, the man page helps.

tcpdump -i eth0 displays a lot of stuff but nothing I can
identify as coming from the camera. Everything comes to this
computer as Ethernet via a wireless bridge and a router
downstairs. I see stuff like below:

13:23:28.349991 IP 192.168.1.6.32874 >
yw-in-f109.1e100.net.pop3s: Flags [P.], seq 1:311, ack 1, win
46, options [nop,nop,TS val 36385575 ecr 58139355], length 310
13:23:28.410430 IP yw-in-f109.1e100.net.pop3s >
192.168.1.6.32874: Flags [.], ack 311, win 4096, options
[nop,nop,TS val 58139362 ecr 36385575], length 0
13:23:29.294222 IP 192.168.1.6.58964 >
resolver2.opendns.com.domain: 57578+ PTR?
6.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (42)
13:23:29.784862 IP yw-in-f109.1e100.net.pop3s >
192.168.1.6.32874: Flags [P.], seq 1:123, ack 311, win 4096,
options [nop,nop,TS val 58139499 ecr 36385575], length 122
13:23:29.784907 IP 192.168.1.6.32874 >
yw-in-f109.1e100.net.pop3s: Flags [.], ack 123, win 46, options
[nop,nop,TS val 36387009 ecr 58139499], length 0
13:23:29.785550 IP 192.168.1.6.32874 >
yw-in-f109.1e100.net.pop3s: Flags [P.], seq 311:354, ack 123,
win 46, options [nop,nop,TS val 36387010 ecr 58139499], length 43
13:23:29.840444 IP yw-in-f109.1e100.net.pop3s >
192.168.1.6.32874: Flags [.], ack 354, win 4096, options
[nop,nop,TS val 58139505 ecr 36387010], length 0

None of which I recognize as coming from the camera which should
be 192.168.1.51.

This computer is 192.168.1.6.

Bob

Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Bill Davidsen

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 18/02/10 12:54, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a Zonet ZVC7611W "IP Camera" Newegg had on sale with the
>>> intention of watching an area I can't see from the window near my desk.
>>> They work ok with the Windows software, I can view the video images.
>>>
>>> I can access it over our wireless LAN with Firefox from this F-12
>>> computer and set all the configuration parameters without a problem and
>>> in fact did so. But I don't know how to go about viewing the pictures.
>>>
>>> Video applications such as VLC and Totem don't respond to the IP address
>>> assigned via dhcp at the the wireless router, 192.168.1.51. Those
>>> programs seem to want a file rather than an URL?
>>>

>> First, I would use tcpdump to see what it actually is using, but I suspect you
>> need some form of the "UCP://" address, to capture and display streaming video.
>>

> Where do I tell tcpdump to look. tcpdump -eth0 just displays a help
> file. I don't know how to use it. Ok, the man page helps.
>
> tcpdump -i eth0 displays a lot of data as below:
>
> On 18/02/10 12:54, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a Zonet ZVC7611W "IP Camera" Newegg had on sale with the
>>> intention of watching an area I can't see from the window near my desk.
>>> They work ok with the Windows software, I can view the video images.
>>>
>>> I can access it over our wireless LAN with Firefox from this F-12
>>> computer and set all the configuration parameters without a problem and
>>> in fact did so. But I don't know how to go about viewing the pictures.
>>>
>>> Video applications such as VLC and Totem don't respond to the IP address
>>> assigned via dhcp at the the wireless router, 192.168.1.51. Those
>>> programs seem to want a file rather than an URL?
>>>

>> First, I would use tcpdump to see what it actually is using, but I suspect you
>> need some form of the "UCP://" address, to capture and display streaming video.
>>

> Where do I tell tcpdump to look. tcpdump -eth0 just displays a
> help file. I don't know how to use it. Ok, the man page helps.
>

> tcpdump -i eth0 displays a lot of stuff but nothing I can
> identify as coming from the camera. Everything comes to this
> computer as Ethernet via a wireless bridge and a router
> downstairs. I see stuff like below:

You can use the "host" qualifier to see just traffic to the camera. Something like:
tcpdump -v host 192.168.1.51

That should let you catch some traffic. If needed, you can watch with a windows
program long enough to look at traffic. Don't forget to use the 'script' command
of similar to save the output.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Chris

On 17 February 2010 12:58, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@wildblue.net> wrote:
> I bought a Zonet ZVC7611W "IP Camera" Newegg had on sale with the
> intention of watching an area I can't see from the window near my desk.
> They work ok with the Windows software, I can view the video images.
>
> I can access it over our wireless LAN with Firefox from this F-12
> computer and set all the configuration parameters without a problem and
> in fact did so. But I don't know how to go about viewing the pictures.
>
> Video applications such as VLC and Totem don't respond to the IP address
> assigned via dhcp at the the wireless router, 192.168.1.51. Those
> programs seem to want a file rather than an URL?

Ok, so it's an MJPEG stream that you want. If you put the IP into your
browser you will probably just get the default page for
viewing/configuring the camera which is why VLC can play it - i.e.
you're asking it to play a webpage instead of a video stream. These IP
camera home pages quite frequently use ActiveX to display the MJPEG
stream since IE can't render MJPEG directly and it's the quick cop-out
way of getting it to work for *most* users - obviously not those using
Linux though.

What you probably need is the CGI manual for the camera such that you
can access the MJPEG stream directly. I've tried looking on their
website but it's down at the moment. To give you some examples of the
kind of thing you're looking for, Axis cameras need a request like
this:

http://<ipaddress>/mjpg/video.mjpg

... and Sony cameras need...

http://<ipaddress>/image?speed=25

so you basically need to find the equivalent cgi request for your
camera. Hopefully it's documented on their website - and hopefully the
website will work again one day!

HTH, Chris.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Bob Goodwin