FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-16-2010, 01:39 AM
jack craig
 
Default Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

Hi Folks,

I regret to report that Moblin, my hope for a mobile linux, is dead.

My hw is Asus, EeePC 1000, 1GB ram, 40GB disk.

Anyone running FC (11 maybe?) on hw like this?

Thx, jackc...
--
jack craig
jackc@LinuxLightHouse.com
831-684-1375 (Office)
831-596-6924 (cell)
IM: jackcraigaptos (AIM)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Chris Tyler
 
Default Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 18:39 -0800, jack craig wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I regret to report that Moblin, my hope for a mobile linux, is dead.
>
> My hw is Asus, EeePC 1000, 1GB ram, 40GB disk.
>
> Anyone running FC (11 maybe?) on hw like this?

Hi Jack,

(1) Curious about why you say Moblin is dead? I missed the announcement!

(2) I'm writing this on a EeePC 1000HA (1GB, 160GB - but I'm using less
than 20G) running F12 very nicely.

-Chris

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2010, 02:36 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha
 
Default Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

Perhaps the Ubuntu Netbook Remix would serve your needs.

Ubuntu also support ARM microprocessors, which these days are commonly
used for mobile phones, but which soon will also be used for netbooks.

The ARM architecture is vastly superior to x86 when power consumption
- or battery life - is an important consideration.

The Ubuntu ARM distribution is not yet really ready for use by the
typical end-user, but should be straightforward to install and use for
experienced Linux users. If you don't own an actual ARM
microprocessor, you can run it under QEMU, using the qemu-system-arm
command.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com
http://www.dulcineatech.com

Dulcinea Technologies Corporation: Software of Elegance and Beauty.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Kevin Fenzi
 
Default Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:39:25 -0800
jack craig <jackc@linuxlighthouse.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I regret to report that Moblin, my hope for a mobile linux, is dead.

oh? Not that I have heard.

> My hw is Asus, EeePC 1000, 1GB ram, 40GB disk.
>
> Anyone running FC (11 maybe?) on hw like this?

I have a Eeepc 900a with 512mb ram and 4GB disk.

It's happily running Xfce here. I have recently just tried lxde, moblin
and gnome-shell on it. They all ran ok, but I just prefer Xfce.

kevin
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Ed Greshko
 
Default Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:39:25 -0800
> jack craig <jackc@linuxlighthouse.com> wrote:
>
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I regret to report that Moblin, my hope for a mobile linux, is dead.
>>
>
> oh? Not that I have heard.
>
I think the OP misspoke slightly.....

"I'm sure you've heard the news: Moblin and maemo are merging! We are
taking the best pieces from these two open source projects and are
creating the MeeGo software platform. Both teams have worked for a long
time to support the needs of the mobile user experience - and MeeGo will
make this even better. We want it to be fun, focused, flexible,
technically challenging, and ultimately, something that can change the
world."

More info available on http://moblin.org/
>
>> My hw is Asus, EeePC 1000, 1GB ram, 40GB disk.
>>
>> Anyone running FC (11 maybe?) on hw like this?
>>
>
> I have a Eeepc 900a with 512mb ram and 4GB disk.
>
> It's happily running Xfce here. I have recently just tried lxde, moblin
> and gnome-shell on it. They all ran ok, but I just prefer Xfce.
>
> kevin
>


--
To get back on your feet, miss two car payments.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 AM
Dennis Gilmore
 
Default Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

On Monday 15 February 2010 09:36:57 pm Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> Perhaps the Ubuntu Netbook Remix would serve your needs.
>
> Ubuntu also support ARM microprocessors, which these days are commonly
> used for mobile phones, but which soon will also be used for netbooks.
>
> The ARM architecture is vastly superior to x86 when power consumption
> - or battery life - is an important consideration.
>
> The Ubuntu ARM distribution is not yet really ready for use by the
> typical end-user, but should be straightforward to install and use for
> experienced Linux users. If you don't own an actual ARM
> microprocessor, you can run it under QEMU, using the qemu-system-arm
> command.
>
> Don Quixote
You do realise that there is a fedora arm port right? I run it on my beagle
board and sheva plug. it runs nicely

Dennis
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2010, 03:44 AM
Itamar Reis Peixoto
 
Default Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

> You do realise that there is a fedora arm port right? *I run it on my beagle
> board and sheva plug. *it runs nicely
>
> Dennis
>

that's true, runs very nice, very stable.

in brazil the energy cost's alot of money, and arm don't wast energy,
I am very happy with my Lord Sheeva running Fedora

also reduced alot my eletric bill!


--
------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto

e-mail/msn/google talk/sip: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
skype: itamarjp
icq: 81053601
+55 11 4063 5033
+55 34 3221 8599
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha
 
Default Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Itamar Reis Peixoto
<itamar@ispbrasil.com.br> wrote:
>> You do realise that there is a fedora arm port right? *I run it on my beagle
>> board and sheva plug. *it runs nicely

Ah, thanks - I did not know. I'll definitely check it out.

> in brazil the energy cost's alot of money, and arm don't wast energy,
> I am very happy with my Lord Sheeva running Fedora
>
> also reduced alot my eletric bill!

Funny you should say that: I went to all kinds of effort and expense
to build the very most powerful Xeon box I could afford.

What I didn't realize, was that it would generate so much heat that I
would not be able to tolerate its use with my window shut. The box is
in my bedroom; if I should fall asleep while it is running, I will
awaken drenched in sweat.

For that reason, I plan to replace the standard Xeon CPU and FB-DIMM
memory with their low-power equivalents. Happily my Supermicro
X7DWA-N motherboard is compatible with both standard and low-power
components.

It will cost a lot of money to replace them, but it didn't take long
for me to figure out that the low-power components would pay for
themselves within a year, because of lower energy costs.

Don Quixote

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com
http://www.dulcineatech.com

Dulcinea Technologies Corporation: Software of Elegance and Beauty.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Tim
 
Default Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 20:52 -0800, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> I went to all kinds of effort and expense to build the very most
> powerful Xeon box I could afford.
>
> What I didn't realize, was that it would generate so much heat that I
> would not be able to tolerate its use with my window shut. The box is
> in my bedroom; if I should fall asleep while it is running, I will
> awaken drenched in sweat.

Water cooling, with the radiator sitting outside?

Heat's a real problem in my industry (video production), too. By the
time you've plugged in audio and video mixers, audio amplifier, several
video monitors, and other equipment in, you're using 700 watts. Which
isn't far off plugging in a 500 watt bar radiator, as far as warming up
the room, goes.

For my computers, I've stuck with old, low power, ~500 MHz Celerons to
work my file and mail server. It's more than fast enough for that task,
and doesn't use much power. I've one moderately powerful desktop and
laptop computer.


--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Michael Cronenworth
 
Default Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?

On 02/15/2010 11:44 PM, Tim wrote:

For my computers, I've stuck with old, low power, ~500 MHz Celerons to
work my file and mail server. It's more than fast enough for that task,
and doesn't use much power. I've one moderately powerful desktop and
laptop computer.




I would suggest you find out how much Celeron is really using before
thinking it is low power.



http://michael.cronenworth.com/index.php?post/2009/10/19/How-To%3A-Earn-Your-Carbon-Credits








--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org