Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 PM
BeartoothHOS

Default F12 on one machine bollixed, but BAD

My wife got an obnoxious popup on her machine, couldn't get rid
of it, and called me downstairs. I got rid of it in a trice -- and then
dove heavily into a trap.

She complained also of the cursor giving trouble -- I had noticed
that it always appeared somewhat to the right of what it was actually
pointing to. This time I thought to connect it with the fact that a
little over an inch along the left edge of her monitor was plain black.

Aha! thought I, the display needs adjusting. I tried a couple
things, got nowhere, and tried system-config-display. That wasn't
installed, but F12 offered to get it. I concurred.

Now it boots only as far as the line about registering something
to do with binaries and Windows. Sometimes the display gets very agitated
at that point, as if it were being shaken hard. Then you can see that
synchronizing with the external time source (and one other thing) has
failed.

We neither run nor connect to any M$ machines.

I tried booting from the F12 respin medium with which I had
upgraded from F11; it lacks an option to boot linux rescue (or I failed
to find it), and I don't know how to futz with her hard drive as live
user.

I did have an old F10 medium at hand, and found that that did let
me try a rescue; but once I had gotten to "chroot /mnt/sysimage," I
couldn't find anything (including system-config-display) to use.

I tried just letting it boot as far as it would, and getting into
it with ssh; no joy.

I tried letting the respin boot all the way, and using ssh from
here -- "No route to host."

Should I boot to rescue with F10, and try (either with the chroot
or with ssh from my machine) to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to resemble our
other machines?? She still has a square LCD screen, 1280x1024 afaik, made
by ViewSonic -- and I have a wide one, 1680x1050, from HP. But I could
tinker with drivers, for instance ...

Is there some other better way??

Old 02-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:15:30 +0000 (UTC)
BeartoothHOS wrote:

> Now it boots only as far as the line about registering something
> to do with binaries and Windows.

I believe that is just "wine" registering its binary handler. That
is usually the last thing it does before bringing up the X login
screen. You could boot the system at runlevel 3 instead of 5, and
that would make it simpler to fool with xorg.conf and other X things,
trying them out with "startx".

Is this by any chance an ATI video card? I know recent updates
certainly seemed to make my ATI card worse instead of better.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Bill Davidsen

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:15:30 +0000 (UTC)
> BeartoothHOS wrote:
>
>> Now it boots only as far as the line about registering something
>> to do with binaries and Windows.
>
> I believe that is just "wine" registering its binary handler. That
> is usually the last thing it does before bringing up the X login
> screen. You could boot the system at runlevel 3 instead of 5, and
> that would make it simpler to fool with xorg.conf and other X things,
> trying them out with "startx".
>
> Is this by any chance an ATI video card? I know recent updates
> certainly seemed to make my ATI card worse instead of better.

I have been saying "updates" instead of "upgrades" with FC12, too.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
Fedora 12 is a teaching tool, to help people learn how to bring up