Old 02-14-2010, 02:49 AM
fred smith

Default weird F12 printing problem

I've got two F12 systems here. One is my eeepc, while the other is a VM
in Sun VirtualBox.

I have a networked Brother laser printer. It works fine on the eeepc when
set up as an IPP printer. On the VirtualBox system, cups disables the
printer because it is "inaccessible".

going thru the configuration on the one that fails, when I enter the IP
address and the queue name then click the verify button it immediately
reports "this print share is accessible", yet after completing the
configuration, printing a test page fails as described above.

I've compared the settings on the two systems and they are identical.
I've made sure that all the footmatic packages are installed, and also
made sure that the same foomatic driver is being selected on both
systems.

I've turned off the fedora firewall as well as the windows firewall on
the machine hosting VirtualBox. BTW, the VM is configured with bridged
networking, so I wouldn't think the windows firewall would be involved
anyway, but I turned it off just to make sure.

I don't have a clue what's going on here.

the lack of clarity is further muddied by the fact that I can configure
it as a jetdirect printer and it works fine. but since I have all the
other systems here using IPP for that printer I'd just as soon have
ALL of them working the same way.

Clues, anyone?

Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding
------------------------------- Isaiah 9:7 (niv) ------------------------------

Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Tim Waugh

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 22:49 -0500, fred smith wrote:
> going thru the configuration on the one that fails, when I enter the IP
> address and the queue name then click the verify button it immediately
> reports "this print share is accessible", yet after completing the
> configuration, printing a test page fails as described above.

Use the printing troubleshooter: Help->Troubleshoot from the main window
of the Printing application.

Tim.
*/

Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Mike Cloaked

Old 02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Tim Waugh

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 04:07 -0800, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> > I don't know if this will help but sometimes I have found that a printer
> > seems to be shared according to the Fedora printer admin interface but
> > does not work - in this situation going to localhost:631 in a browser and
> > selecting that the printer concerned is "published" as a shared printer
> > usually sorts this out for me.

For a CUPS printer to be usable by another machine, you need:

1. the printer to be marked as 'Shared' (the Printer-> Shared checkbox)
2. the CUPS server to 'Publish shared printers' (Server-> Settings...->
Public shared printers connected to this system)
3. the firewall settings on the server to allow 'Network Printing
Server'
4. the firewall settings on the client to allow 'Network Printing
Client'

Tim.
*/

Old 02-15-2010, 03:20 PM
fred smith

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 04:12:54PM +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 04:07 -0800, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> > > I don't know if this will help but sometimes I have found that a printer
> > > seems to be shared according to the Fedora printer admin interface but
> > > does not work - in this situation going to localhost:631 in a browser and
> > > selecting that the printer concerned is "published" as a shared printer
> > > usually sorts this out for me.
>
> For a CUPS printer to be usable by another machine, you need:
>
> 1. the printer to be marked as 'Shared' (the Printer-> Shared checkbox)
> 2. the CUPS server to 'Publish shared printers' (Server-> Settings...->
> Public shared printers connected to this system)
> 3. the firewall settings on the server to allow 'Network Printing
> Server'
> 4. the firewall settings on the client to allow 'Network Printing
> Client'
>
> Tim.
> */

It's NOT a shared printer. it is attached to the LAN with its own IP address.

I ran the troubleshooter and it did not turn up anything helpful.

every computer in the house as well as a couple of laptops all print to it
as an IPP printer, successfully (from various versions of LInux and also
from Windoze XP). Only this one F12 installation has trouble using it as
an IPP printer.

all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Tim Waugh

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 11:20 -0500, fred smith wrote:
> I ran the troubleshooter and it did not turn up anything helpful.

Did it give you the opportunity to save some diagnostic information at
the end? That would have been useful to see, as there might well have
been an error message logged that explains the problem.

Tim.
*/

Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Mike Cloaked

fred smith wrote:

> It's NOT a shared printer. it is attached to the LAN with its own IP
> address.
>
> I ran the troubleshooter and it did not turn up anything helpful.
>
> every computer in the house as well as a couple of laptops all print to it
> as an IPP printer, successfully (from various versions of LInux and also
> from Windoze XP). Only this one F12 installation has trouble using it as
> an IPP printer.

I seem to remember you said that on the F12 machine you want to print from
the firewall was turned off and it still would not see the printer? Any
selinux denial I wonder?

Old 02-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Mike Cloaked

fred smith wrote:

> It's NOT a shared printer. it is attached to the LAN with its own IP
> address.
>
> I ran the troubleshooter and it did not turn up anything helpful.
>
> every computer in the house as well as a couple of laptops all print to it
> as an IPP printer, successfully (from various versions of LInux and also
> from Windoze XP). Only this one F12 installation has trouble using it as
> an IPP printer.

Is all your other networking running ok in the F12 running in the VM - i.e.
can you make other calls out from f12 to the outside world via the host's
nic? I still presume that port 631 needs to be forwarded through to the f12
os running in the VM - maybe this is a problem with networking from the vm?
Is the nic bridged or natted to the VM??

Old 02-15-2010, 06:29 PM
fred smith

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 08:51:16AM -0800, Mike Cloaked wrote:

> fred smith wrote:
> >

> > It's NOT a shared printer. it is attached to the LAN with its own IP
> > address.
> >
> > I ran the troubleshooter and it did not turn up anything helpful.
> >
> > every computer in the house as well as a couple of laptops all print to it
> > as an IPP printer, successfully (from various versions of LInux and also
> > from Windoze XP). Only this one F12 installation has trouble using it as
> > an IPP printer.
> >

> Is all your other networking running ok in the F12 running in the VM - i.e.
> can you make other calls out from f12 to the outside world via the host's
> nic? I still presume that port 631 needs to be forwarded through to the f12
> os running in the VM - maybe this is a problem with networking from the vm?
> Is the nic bridged or natted to the VM??

It's bridged. everything else we've tried works, e.g., firefox, ssh.

I explicitly opened 631 in the firewall and when that didn't help I
completely disabled the firewall, which still didn't help.

weird thing is that (as I said in the original posting, but which seems
to have been deleted by someone else before this branch/thread appeared)
is that it works FINE if I set it up as a jetdirect (port 9100) printer.

community.
--Roger Ebert, December, 1996

Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 PM
fred smith

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 04:44:11PM +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 11:20 -0500, fred smith wrote:
> > I ran the troubleshooter and it did not turn up anything helpful.
>
> Did it give you the opportunity to save some diagnostic information at
> the end? That would have been useful to see, as there might well have
> been an error message logged that explains the problem.

mmmm.... don't recall that. hafta try it.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
Do you not know? Have you not heard?