Old 02-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Christoph Höger

Default Firefox using google proxy WTF?

Hi,

I am using an of the shelf firefox rpm. Today the strangest thing
happened to me: I got an google branded 404 when searching wikipedia.
The site is definitely up and running and my network settings must be
fine, since Konqueror and wget get the site (see attached screenshot).

Obviously I only noted it, because googles proxy must have been down or
something.

So since when does google proxy my http traffic? And who allowed this
behavior in a fedora rpm?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Roberto Ragusa

Christoph Höger wrote:
> I am using an of the shelf firefox rpm. Today the strangest thing
> happened to me: I got an google branded 404 when searching wikipedia.
> The site is definitely up and running and my network settings must be
> fine, since Konqueror and wget get the site (see attached screenshot).
>
> Obviously I only noted it, because googles proxy must have been down or
> something.

You get the same error page if you try this:
http://www.google.com/wiki/URL_redirection

Firefox is probably thinking that en.wikipedia.org resolves
at DNS level to the IP of google.

In that case, you will get the google homepage with
http://en.wikipedia.org

I don't know how it happened. Does it go away if you restart Firefox?
Does your ISP do some authentication using DNS hijacking?
The Firefox DNS cache appears to be polluted.

strange ipv6 effect??? 8-)

> So since when does google proxy my http traffic? And who allowed this
> behavior in a fedora rpm?

A proxy would have likely said "Google error - can't contact
en.wikipedia.org ...".

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 02-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Christoph Höger writes:

Hi,

I am using an of the shelf firefox rpm. Today the strangest thing
happened to me: I got an google branded 404 when searching wikipedia.
The site is definitely up and running and my network settings must be
fine, since Konqueror and wget get the site (see attached screenshot).

Obviously I only noted it, because googles proxy must have been down or
something.

So since when does google proxy my http traffic? And who allowed this
behavior in a fedora rpm?

Looks very familiar. Are you using privoxy? I was getting the same weird
clusterfscks until I figured it out.

Edit /etc/privoxy/config and comment out the keep-alive-timeout setting. The
default Fedora rpm package installs a non-default keep-alive-timeout
setting.

Looks like there's a disagreement between Firefox and privoxy regarding how
HTTP/1.1 persistent connections should work in a proy setting. Privoxy seems
to believe that if the client wants to proxy to a different host, when using
keep-alives, that the client should use a different proxy connection.
Privoxy assumes that, with keep-alive, the client would only send requests
to the same server, through the persistent connection.

Firefox, though, apparently believes that it is entitled to use an existing
persistent connection to an HTTP proxy to send an HTTP request to a
different host.

Ergo, privoxy ends up forwarding an HTTP request to the wrong host.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Christoph Höger

Am Samstag, den 13.02.2010, 13:54 -0500 schrieb Sam Varshavchik:
> Christoph Höger writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using an of the shelf firefox rpm. Today the strangest thing
> > happened to me: I got an google branded 404 when searching wikipedia.
> > The site is definitely up and running and my network settings must be
> > fine, since Konqueror and wget get the site (see attached screenshot).
> >
> > Obviously I only noted it, because googles proxy must have been down or
> > something.
> >
> > So since when does google proxy my http traffic? And who allowed this
> > behavior in a fedora rpm?
>
> Looks very familiar. Are you using privoxy? I was getting the same weird
> clusterfscks until I figured it out.
>
> Edit /etc/privoxy/config and comment out the keep-alive-timeout setting. The
> default Fedora rpm package installs a non-default keep-alive-timeout
> setting.
>
> Looks like there's a disagreement between Firefox and privoxy regarding how
> HTTP/1.1 persistent connections should work in a proy setting. Privoxy seems
> to believe that if the client wants to proxy to a different host, when using
> keep-alives, that the client should use a different proxy connection.
> Privoxy assumes that, with keep-alive, the client would only send requests
> to the same server, through the persistent connection.
>
> Firefox, though, apparently believes that it is entitled to use an existing
> persistent connection to an HTTP proxy to send an HTTP request to a
> different host.
>
> Ergo, privoxy ends up forwarding an HTTP request to the wrong host.

I am not using privoxy.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Christoph Höger

Am Samstag, den 13.02.2010, 19:43 +0100 schrieb Roberto Ragusa:
> Christoph Höger wrote:
> > I am using an of the shelf firefox rpm. Today the strangest thing
> > happened to me: I got an google branded 404 when searching wikipedia.
> > The site is definitely up and running and my network settings must be
> > fine, since Konqueror and wget get the site (see attached screenshot).
> >
> > Obviously I only noted it, because googles proxy must have been down or
> > something.
>
> You get the same error page if you try this:
> http://www.google.com/wiki/URL_redirection
>
> Firefox is probably thinking that en.wikipedia.org resolves
> at DNS level to the IP of google.
>
> In that case, you will get the google homepage with
> http://en.wikipedia.org
>
> I don't know how it happened. Does it go away if you restart Firefox?
> Does your ISP do some authentication using DNS hijacking?
> The Firefox DNS cache appears to be polluted.

Is there some way to check this? I mean have a look at firefox' dns
cache?
Since wget and konqueror worked fine, I'd say that my ISPs DNS works as
it should.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Roberto Ragusa

Christoph Höger wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 13.02.2010, 19:43 +0100 schrieb Roberto Ragusa:

>> I don't know how it happened. Does it go away if you restart Firefox?
>> Does your ISP do some authentication using DNS hijacking?
>> The Firefox DNS cache appears to be polluted.
>
> Is there some way to check this? I mean have a look at firefox' dns
> cache?
> Since wget and konqueror worked fine, I'd say that my ISPs DNS works as
> it should.

I don't know if the Firefox DNS cache is printable.
In any case, it is lost if you restart the browser.
Does your problem happen every time? With every site?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 02-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Christoph Höger

Am Samstag, den 13.02.2010, 21:55 +0100 schrieb Roberto Ragusa:
> Christoph Höger wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 13.02.2010, 19:43 +0100 schrieb Roberto Ragusa:
>
> >> I don't know how it happened. Does it go away if you restart Firefox?
> >> Does your ISP do some authentication using DNS hijacking?
> >> The Firefox DNS cache appears to be polluted.
> >
> > Is there some way to check this? I mean have a look at firefox' dns
> > cache?
> > Since wget and konqueror worked fine, I'd say that my ISPs DNS works as
> > it should.
>
> I don't know if the Firefox DNS cache is printable.
> In any case, it is lost if you restart the browser.
> Does your problem happen every time? With every site?

No. It happened twice on two different systems. I cannot reproduce this
strange behavior.

Is there a simple way to log http requests by firefox?

Old 02-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Christoph Höger

Am Samstag, den 13.02.2010, 22:05 +0100 schrieb Christoph Höger:
> Am Samstag, den 13.02.2010, 21:55 +0100 schrieb Roberto Ragusa:
> > Christoph Höger wrote:

> > > Is there some way to check this? I mean have a look at firefox' dns
> > > cache?
> > > Since wget and konqueror worked fine, I'd say that my ISPs DNS works as
> > > it should.
> >
> > I don't know if the Firefox DNS cache is printable.
> > In any case, it is lost if you restart the browser.
> > Does your problem happen every time? With every site?
>
> No. It happened twice on two different systems. I cannot reproduce this
> strange behavior.
>
> Is there a simple way to log http requests by firefox?

Apparently it is a problem with my new cisco router.
The built in dns-proxy must do something really weird (how hard can it
be to run dnsmasq?)

http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&message.id=16734 1

It was pure luck that wget and konqueror worked.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Roberto Ragusa

Christoph Höger wrote:

> Apparently it is a problem with my new cisco router.
> The built in dns-proxy must do something really weird (how hard can it
> be to run dnsmasq?)
>
> http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&message.id=16734 1
>
> It was pure luck that wget and konqueror worked.

Amazing how buggy stuff can be.
Cisco failing at DNS resolution....

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it