Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Gilboa Davara

Default expunge in evolution is no longer working-CORRECTION

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> BTW the OP didn't say whether his mail is on an IMAP server or not. This
> could possibly be relevant.
>
> poc

I doubt it.
I'm on POP3 (Google) and I've seen this bug one why or the other since
F10...
Move emails between folders sufficient times and you'll trigger it. No
exceptions.

- Gilboa

Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 03:31 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > BTW the OP didn't say whether his mail is on an IMAP server or not. This
> > could possibly be relevant.
> >
> > poc
>
> I doubt it.
> I'm on POP3 (Google) and I've seen this bug one why or the other since
> F10...
> Move emails between folders sufficient times and you'll trigger it. No
> exceptions.
----
I've been using evolution continually since RH 8.0 and IMAP (my own
server) exclusively and I have never had this problem. I ceased using
POP3 sometime in the late 90's.

I have moved thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of e-mails between
folders and have never had this problem.

Your comment of 'No exceptions' simply is untrue.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:28 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 03:31 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > >
> > > BTW the OP didn't say whether his mail is on an IMAP server or not. This
> > > could possibly be relevant.
> > >
> > > poc
> >
> > I doubt it.
> > I'm on POP3 (Google) and I've seen this bug one why or the other since
> > F10...
> > Move emails between folders sufficient times and you'll trigger it. No
> > exceptions.
> ----
> I've been using evolution continually since RH 8.0 and IMAP (my own
> server) exclusively and I have never had this problem. I ceased using
> POP3 sometime in the late 90's.
>
> I have moved thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of e-mails between
> folders and have never had this problem.
>
> Your comment of 'No exceptions' simply is untrue.

As I said earlier, this is also my own experience. I don't recall ever
seeing this happen in around 10 years of using Evo. I have one POP and
two IMAP accounts, and regularly move mail between them with no issues.

poc

Old 02-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:28 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 03:31 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > >
> > > BTW the OP didn't say whether his mail is on an IMAP server or not. This
> > > could possibly be relevant.
> > >
> > > poc
> >
> > I doubt it.
> > I'm on POP3 (Google) and I've seen this bug one why or the other since
> > F10...
> > Move emails between folders sufficient times and you'll trigger it. No
> > exceptions.
> ----
> I've been using evolution continually since RH 8.0 and IMAP (my own
> server) exclusively and I have never had this problem. I ceased using
> POP3 sometime in the late 90's.
>
> I have moved thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of e-mails between
> folders and have never had this problem.
>
> Your comment of 'No exceptions' simply is untrue.
>
> Craig

OK.
Most likely this bug is less inclined to hit IMAP users due to the
different usage of the local mail folders.
Never the less - Google and the original bug report seems to suggest
that this bug also hits IMAP users.

Anything else?

- Gilboa

Old 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 17:37 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 14:08 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:

No it does not

Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 18:32 -0500, John Mellor wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 14:08 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > On my machine expunge in evolution-2.28.2-1.fc12.i686 is no longer
> > > working so the deleted messages are building up. What does one do in
> > > this case to fix this problem?
> > > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > > Expunge works in all the folders except Inbox, Junk and Trash.
> > > Maybe it is not supposed to work in Trash.
> >
> > Yeah, I have no idea why this is taking years (literally) to fix. Its
> > like the Novell dev guys are purposely sabotaging Gnome users or
> > something. The first reports that I sent in of this problem were on
> > Fedora 4, and its still there and still biting an awful lot of users
> > over and over again.
>
> Not only have I never seen this, I don't recall even hearing about it,
> at least in these terms, despite being on the Evo list for lo these many
> years. IOW I doubt it's all that common.
>
> Be that as it may, one thing to try is to completely quit Evo
> ("evolution --force-shutdown") and run the following script, which
> cleans up Evo's SQL databases:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> cd ~/.evolution/mail/
> for i in `find . -name folders.db`
> do
> echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
> sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
> done
>
> BTW the OP didn't say whether his mail is on an IMAP server or not. This
> could possibly be relevant.
>
> poc

The above solution did not work in that expunge does not remove deleted
files.
I am not using IMAP.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 15:21 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah, I have no idea why this is taking years (literally) to fix. Its
> > > like the Novell dev guys are purposely sabotaging Gnome users or
> > > something. The first reports that I sent in of this problem were on
> > > Fedora 4, and its still there and still biting an awful lot of users
> > > over and over again.
> >
> > Not only have I never seen this, I don't recall even hearing about it,
> > at least in these terms, despite being on the Evo list for lo these many
> > years. IOW I doubt it's all that common.
> >
> > Be that as it may, one thing to try is to completely quit Evo
> > ("evolution --force-shutdown") and run the following script, which
> > cleans up Evo's SQL databases:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > cd ~/.evolution/mail/
> > for i in `find . -name folders.db`
> > do
> > echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
> > sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
> > done
> >
> > BTW the OP didn't say whether his mail is on an IMAP server or not. This
> > could possibly be relevant.
> >
> > poc
> >

> The above solution did not work in that expunge does not remove deleted
> files.
> I am not using IMAP.
----
considering that 'EXPUNGE' is an IMAP command, I would find the notion
that it doesn't work hardly surprising.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 14:59 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 15:21 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 18:32 -0500, John Mellor wrote:
[...]
> > The above solution did not work in that expunge does not remove deleted
> > files.
> > I am not using IMAP.
> ----
> considering that 'EXPUNGE' is an IMAP command, I would find the notion
> that it doesn't work hardly surprising.

In fact Evo implements the expunge model even for non-IMAP mail, for the
sake of consistency. AFAIK the only exception is for Exchange, which has
its own ideas.

poc

Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 17:39 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 14:59 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> [...]
> > > The above solution did not work in that expunge does not remove deleted
> > > files.
> > > I am not using IMAP.
> > ----
> > considering that 'EXPUNGE' is an IMAP command, I would find the notion
> > that it doesn't work hardly surprising.
>
> In fact Evo implements the expunge model even for non-IMAP mail, for the
> sake of consistency. AFAIK the only exception is for Exchange, which has
> its own ideas.

Although for POP3, Evo still apparently doesn't support the option to
"delete on server when deleting locally", which would be handy.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 09:28 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> Although for POP3, Evo still apparently doesn't support the option to
> "delete on server when deleting locally", which would be handy.

That's harder to do, as that depends on keeping track of message numbers
on the server, and how they relate to local messages. Yet some servers
renumber the messages. Or, message IDs, which can also be changed.

Trying to use POP3 as if it were IMAP is a messy affair.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.