Old 02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
John Poelstra

Default Converting efax .efx files

Has anyone figured out a way to convert the files created by the free
faxing services from efax.com (efx format) to another format like PDF or
tiff?

I'm also trying to run the Windows program provided by efax under wine
on Fedora 12 (i686), but the windows installer doesn't finish.

John

Old 02-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Bill Davidsen

John Poelstra wrote:
> Has anyone figured out a way to convert the files created by the free
> faxing services from efax.com (efx format) to another format like PDF or
> tiff?
>
> I'm also trying to run the Windows program provided by efax under wine
> on Fedora 12 (i686), but the windows installer doesn't finish.

Since I don't run that I can only ask, what is the file format (output of the
file command)? If they are jbig (standard fax format) you can use the jbig
toolkit or the jbig parts of the netpbm package.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Raman Gupta

> John Poelstra wrote:
> Has anyone figured out a way to convert the files created by the free
> faxing services from efax.com (efx format) to another format like PDF or
> tiff?

You can send them an email and ask them to configure your account to
send you a tiff file instead of efx. They did it for me a few years
ago and I've been getting tiff's ever since.

Cheers,
Raman

Old 02-17-2010, 03:14 PM
John Poelstra

Bill Davidsen said the following on 02/15/2010 12:47 PM Pacific Time:
> John Poelstra wrote:
>> Has anyone figured out a way to convert the files created by the free
>> faxing services from efax.com (efx format) to another format like PDF or
>> tiff?
>>
>> I'm also trying to run the Windows program provided by efax under wine
>> on Fedora 12 (i686), but the windows installer doesn't finish.
>>
> Since I don't run that I can only ask, what is the file format (output of the
> file command)? If they are jbig (standard fax format) you can use the jbig
> toolkit or the jbig parts of the netpbm package.

$ file 770036344.efx
770036344.efx: data

It seems to be their own special format.

John

Old 02-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Bill Davidsen

John Poelstra wrote:
> Bill Davidsen said the following on 02/15/2010 12:47 PM Pacific Time:
>> John Poelstra wrote:
>>> Has anyone figured out a way to convert the files created by the free
>>> faxing services from efax.com (efx format) to another format like PDF or
>>> tiff?
>>>
>>> I'm also trying to run the Windows program provided by efax under wine
>>> on Fedora 12 (i686), but the windows installer doesn't finish.
>>>
>> Since I don't run that I can only ask, what is the file format (output of the
>> file command)? If they are jbig (standard fax format) you can use the jbig
>> toolkit or the jbig parts of the netpbm package.
>>

> $ file 770036344.efx
> 770036344.efx: data

Seems "file" lacks the sig for jbig, if you are still interested you could try
jbigtopnm from netpbm, or jbgtopbm from jbigkit. jbig is a standard bilevel (two
color) compression, usually much smaller that anything else. It's used for fax,
among other things.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>