Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Tim

Default Help Diagnose Slow Disc Access

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 21:29 -0800, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> what I use for my two disk-to-disk backup drives: I leave one
> connected to eSATA and the other in a bank safe deposit box. Once a
> week I swap them. The bank is quite some ways from my home, so even a
> direct nuclear strike on my home office would not cause the loss of
> more than a week's worth of my work.

Unless your work is being part of the clean up and rebuilding crew, I
think it might. ;-)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Roberto Ragusa

Kam Leo wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Mike McCarty
> <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I downloaded said software, and burnt a CD-ROM. I ran the diagnostics
>> on both discs (both are WDs, but of different sizes). The smaller
>> one passed both a "quick" test, and an "extended" full surface scan
>> test, and both in about the amount of time the tool estimated. The
>> larger one (the one I'm having performance problems with) failed the
>> "quick" test, due to timeout, after several times the estimated
>> run time, but passed the "extended" full surface scan, though it took
>> significantly longer than estimated. The estimated time was just over
>> 15 hours, but the test ran 83 hours 33 minutes.
>
> Failing the "quick" test and long completion times are sure signs that
> the drive is in trouble. You can try reformatting the drive to see if
> that improves performance (doubtful). Good luck finding a new IDE
> drive. You might have to use a SATA drive with a SATA-IDE adapter or
> buy a SATA controller and change all your hard drives to SATA.

The disk has problems.
Maybe the slow speed is caused by retries, recalibrations and
other internal attempts to go ahead.
It could even be that the drive firmware is willingly degrading
the speed to send you a message. There are cars that refuse (by
software) to go beyond a defined speed when they see something
wrong with one of their components; so you go to the mechanic
and say "it is slow", he reads the diagnostics and finds that
the software says that a sensor has to be replaced. :-)

In any case, do not trust that disk anymore.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Mike McCarty

Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> All of the hard drive vendors provide disk drive diagnostic tools,
> that are able to access vendor-specific - and undocumented - firmware
> in their drives. This diagnostic firmware is able to diagnose drive
> hardware problems in a much more thorough way than the vendor-neutral
> S.M.A.R.T. is able to.

Ok, AFAICT, the WD diagnostic disc simply used the S.M.A.R.T.
conveyance test, which it aborted. Timing aside, that disc passes
all the tests that smartctl knows about.

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining
LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Conveyance offline Completed without error 00% 12146
-
# 2 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 12107
-
# 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 12009
-

I've noticed that top often reports 50% or more hi (hardware interrupt)
when the system is slow, and that drive is being hit. I just did a copy
from that disc to another of a 90MB or so ISO and saw 95.4% hi.

This seems to imply that the disc is signalling completion, and the
controller is generating an interrupt, but then the handler is having
to poll for a while before getting the go ahead from the disc. Is
this normal?

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.