-   -   Question on installing FC12-X86_64 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/324593-question-installing-fc12-x86_64-a.html)

Jim 02-11-2010 07:04 PM

Question on installing FC12-X86_64

I have a ;

Dell Studio Hybrid-118 Desktop Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB DVDRW DL
WiFi

Product Features

Intel
Core2 Duo mobile processor T5850 with 2 processing cores, 667MHz system
bus, 2MB L2 cache and 2.16GHz processor speed per core

Am I wrong or right that this computer will take a FC12* 32 or 64bit
install.

I bought this computer without a OS on it, it had Vista on it at one
time.

I went on google search and from I can see it would take a 32 or 64bit
install of Vista.

Don Quixote de la Mancha 02-11-2010 08:00 PM

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Am I wrong or right that this computer will take a FC12* 32 or 64bit
> install.

Core 2 Duos are 64-bit processors, so you can install the 64-bit Fedora.

However, all the x86_64 (aka AMD64) CPUs can run in 32-bit mode. So
you can install the 32-bit Fedora instead if you choose.

My MacBook Pro is a Core Duo, but not a Core 2 Duo. The "Non-Two"
Core Duos are 32-bit only, so when I finally get around to Linuxizing
my laptop, it will have to be 32-bit only.

When one has a choice of either 32-bit or 64-bit, there are certain
advantages and disadvantages to each choice.

The main advantage of 64-bit is that, if your motherboard supports it,
you can install more than 4 GB of memory. That would enable you to
run lots of programs simultaneously without any virtual memory paging.
I have 16 GB in my F11 Core 2 Quad Xeon box, and I never, ever have
to hit the swap file.

Even with less then 4 GB of memory, it is possible for software to run
faster in 64-bit mode than 32-bit mode, because the x86_64 Instruction
Set Architecture adds some general purpose registers that aren't
present in 32-bit. Whether that helps your particular situation would
depend very much on the software you use.

(Tastes Great! Less Filling!)

Hope That Helps,

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Jim 02-11-2010 08:19 PM

On 02/11/2010 04:00 PM, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> Don Quixote

Don Quixote, Thank you for your help