Old 02-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Suvayu Ali

Default ATI Radeon vs nVidia 3D accelleration

On Thursday 11 February 2010 06:04 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> AFAIK, the radeon driver doesn't support 3D acceleration for HD4*** family of
> cards. and that is probably the reason why tuxracer doesn't work. However, I
> don't know why glxinfo reports that direct rendering is active in this case.

If the OP is on F12, he can try mesa-dri-drivers-experimental for 3D
support on a RV770.

GL
--
Suvayu

Old 02-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 February 2010 06:04 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> AFAIK, the radeon driver doesn't support 3D acceleration for HD4*** family of
>> cards. and that is probably the reason why tuxracer doesn't work. However, I
>> don't know why glxinfo reports that direct rendering is active in this case.
>
> If the OP is on F12, he can try mesa-dri-drivers-experimental for 3D
> support on a RV770.

I'm happy to give it a try.

However, I am still on F11. I have been hesitant to upgrade, as
everything - with the exception of 3D accelleration - has been working
really well.

Maybe it's just paranoia, but from watching this list, I have the
sense that upgrading to F12 can break a lot of things. Is that the
case, or would I be OK to upgrade?

I started with F10, then used whatever that tool is, that looks at all
your installed packages to see what needs to be upgraded, and
downloads them all. I expect I'll use that again when I go to F12.

Do Quixote.
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Thursday 11 February 2010 10:08 PM, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Suvayu Ali
> <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday 11 February 2010 06:04 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>> AFAIK, the radeon driver doesn't support 3D acceleration for HD4*** family of
>>> cards. and that is probably the reason why tuxracer doesn't work. However, I
>>> don't know why glxinfo reports that direct rendering is active in this case.
>>
>> If the OP is on F12, he can try mesa-dri-drivers-experimental for 3D
>> support on a RV770.
>
> I'm happy to give it a try.
>
> However, I am still on F11. I have been hesitant to upgrade, as
> everything - with the exception of 3D accelleration - has been working
> really well.
>
> Maybe it's just paranoia, but from watching this list, I have the
> sense that upgrading to F12 can break a lot of things. Is that the
> case, or would I be OK to upgrade?

So far I have tried F12 only on LiveCDs with my RV770 or with a Thinkpad
with Intel graphics, and I haven't found any significant problems. You
can also try out F12 on a VM and see for yourself.

> Do Quixote.

GL
--
Suvayu

Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Kevin Kofler

gary artim wrote:
> hey, so the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental needed in addition to the
> radeon driver?

If you want 3D acceleration on the Radeon HD (up to 4xxx) cards, yes.

> could this help with garbled screens I get from the radeon driver or kde?

Probably not. That's probably a bug in the 2D portions.

Kevin Kofler

Old 02-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

Seeing as how glxgears isn't a good benchark, and that Extreme Tux
Racer won't even run on my box, I installed the Phoronix Test Suite,
then told it to install the idquake3-games benchmark suite.

A suite in Phoronix is a set of related benchmark tests. One can
perform individual benchmarks, or all the benchmarks in a suite.

When I asked it to install the idquake3-games suite, Phoronix told me
that it would download two GIGABYTES of source code, from which the
benchmark executables would all be built. So I got the download
started and went to work. When I returned home, I found the
idquake3-games executables not just downloaded, but built and ready to
run on my box.

I then gave the command:

$ phoronix-test-suite benchmark idquake3-games

It asked me a few questions such as the file name to use for the
results of that particular test run, then set into the first
benchmark.

It was some 3D video game, that went full-screen on my full-resolution
HD LCD display. The game was rendered completely flawlessly, with
lots of nice touches such as bursts of semi-transparent smoke.

But as you will no doubt recall, 3D accelleration on my card is not
enabled at all: that 3D Quake Engine game benchmark that I ran on my
box, was rendered completely in software, with no hardware
accelleration whatsoever.

Even though it's a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Quad Xeon box with 16 GB of FB-DIMM
memory, that flawlessly-rendered video game benchmark managed to
achieve a maximum framerate of perhaps two. Most of the it didn't
even achieve that, but had a framerate of just one.

Yes, you read that right: My Core 2 Quad Xeon box can play Quake
Engine 3 games with a frame rate of just one frame per second.

Someone has pointed out to me where I need to go to download and build
the source that might enable 3D accelleration on my ($$$) ATI Radeon
4870HD card. I plan to give that a try next.

Best,

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 04:46:36 -0800,
Don Quixote de la Mancha <quixote@dulcineatech.com> wrote:

> Someone has pointed out to me where I need to go to download and build
> the source that might enable 3D accelleration on my ($$$) ATI Radeon
> 4870HD card. I plan to give that a try next.

If you are using F12 you should be able to install
mesa-dri-drivers-experimental and get 3d support for that card with
the radeon driver (from xorg-x11-drv-ati).

Old 02-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Kevin Kofler

Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> Someone has pointed out to me where I need to go to download and build
> the source that might enable 3D accelleration on my ($$$) ATI Radeon
> 4870HD card. I plan to give that a try next.

Those drivers are unlikely to work on F11. I tried rebuilding the F12 mesa
SRPM for F11 in a Koji scratch build, it didn't even build. It'll be much
easier to just upgrade to F12.

Kevin Kofler

Old 02-15-2010, 04:27 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:
> Those drivers are unlikely to work on F11. I tried rebuilding the F12 mesa
> SRPM for F11 in a Koji scratch build, it didn't even build. It'll be much
> easier to just upgrade to F12.

For now, I'm just going to do a plain kernel build from David
Airlied's ATI testing GIT, as well as building Mesa with "./configure;
make; sudo make install" or what have you.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 PM
gary artim

Don --

That would be great, please report back. I have clients using borken
system with ati hd 4770 cards. Have a
bug started but not much action so far. Considering swapping in Nvidia
cards so they can at least see there
work cleanly.

-- Gary

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Don Quixote de la Mancha

Old 02-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

Gary,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 2:15 PM, gary artim <gartim@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don --
>
> That would be great, please report back. I have clients using borken
> system with ati hd 4770 cards. Have a
> bug started but not much action so far. Considering swapping in Nvidia
> cards so they can at least see there
> work cleanly.
>
> -- Gary

When I have something working, it wouldn't be hard to write up a HOWTO
and post it on my website.

However, while one can obtain support for the very latest cards by
checking out the very latest development code, one also has the
problem that that code is largely untested and quite likely to be
buggy. Thus while one's card would support many methods of
accellerating 3D graphics, a few of those methods could well crash
your system.

Really the only way to tell is to build the code, then test it with
some kind of comprehensive program. I just installed the Phoronix
Test Suite, a Linux benchmarking framework. One of its benchmark
suites is called idquake3-games - several video games built on ID
Software's Quake 3 engine. From what I've seen, it exercises quite a
lot of different kinds of 3D rendering techniques.

Don
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com