Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   latest F12 quckly unusable after restart (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/324154-latest-f12-quckly-unusable-after-restart.html)

Ulrich Drepper 02-11-2010 03:21 AM

latest F12 quckly unusable after restart
 
Since I updated my F12 workstation on Tuesday (haven't done it for two
weeks before that) my machine becomes unusable pretty quickly after
every restart. Sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes after a few hours.

It manifests itself in an ever increasing load, although top doesn't
show anything running. Shell processes simply stop while typing. I.e.,
they don't accept any more keystrokes and just freeze.

X overall becomes very sluggish. Scrolling in firefox moves pixels bn
lines. The Xorg process is eating up lots of CPU cycles and kmsd (I
assume kernel mode switching support in the kernel) also shows up.

At least before the last reboot I see tons of ext4-dio-unwrit processes.
Last time 81 of them. And I lost data at one of the many reboots.


The machine is a single socket i7 with plenty of RAM. Lots of disk, one
RAID 0 and one RAID 1 among the filesystems. All ext4. The graphics
card is a dual head ATI.

Anybody else seen something like that?

--
➧ Ulrich Drepper ➧ Red Hat, Inc. ➧ 444 Castro St ➧ Mountain View, CA ❖
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

Craig White 02-11-2010 03:50 AM

latest F12 quckly unusable after restart
 
On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 20:21 -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Since I updated my F12 workstation on Tuesday (haven't done it for two
> weeks before that) my machine becomes unusable pretty quickly after
> every restart. Sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes after a few hours.
>
> It manifests itself in an ever increasing load, although top doesn't
> show anything running. Shell processes simply stop while typing. I.e.,
> they don't accept any more keystrokes and just freeze.
>
> X overall becomes very sluggish. Scrolling in firefox moves pixels bn
> lines. The Xorg process is eating up lots of CPU cycles and kmsd (I
> assume kernel mode switching support in the kernel) also shows up.
>
> At least before the last reboot I see tons of ext4-dio-unwrit processes.
> Last time 81 of them. And I lost data at one of the many reboots.
>
>
> The machine is a single socket i7 with plenty of RAM. Lots of disk, one
> RAID 0 and one RAID 1 among the filesystems. All ext4. The graphics
> card is a dual head ATI.
>
> Anybody else seen something like that?
----
I had 2 hard freezes in the last week but my setup is decidedly
different. Using nouveau driver and nouveau.modesetting=0 as boot
parameter and the first time, I thought it was the KVM I am using but
the second time was over night / idle. I use KDE and I would guess that
you are using Gnome.

One thing that seemed to be a problem was Evolution (no great shock
there). When I got Evolution to quit, things seemed to recover a bit. Of
course I updated (sheesh there are so many updates it seems every time I
update F12).

Anyway, I thought maybe my hardware was getting flaky - maybe not. It
has been running for...
21:50:02 up 1 day, 14:16, 13 users, load average: 0.13, 0.19, 0.27

I've got my fingers crossed...

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

Tom Diehl 02-12-2010 03:28 PM

latest F12 quckly unusable after restart
 
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Craig White wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 20:21 -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>> Since I updated my F12 workstation on Tuesday (haven't done it for two
>> weeks before that) my machine becomes unusable pretty quickly after
>> every restart. Sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes after a few hours.
>>
>> It manifests itself in an ever increasing load, although top doesn't
>> show anything running. Shell processes simply stop while typing. I.e.,
>> they don't accept any more keystrokes and just freeze.
>>
>> X overall becomes very sluggish. Scrolling in firefox moves pixels bn
>> lines. The Xorg process is eating up lots of CPU cycles and kmsd (I
>> assume kernel mode switching support in the kernel) also shows up.
>>
>> At least before the last reboot I see tons of ext4-dio-unwrit processes.
>> Last time 81 of them. And I lost data at one of the many reboots.
>>
>>
>> The machine is a single socket i7 with plenty of RAM. Lots of disk, one
>> RAID 0 and one RAID 1 among the filesystems. All ext4. The graphics
>> card is a dual head ATI.
>>
>> Anybody else seen something like that?
> ----
> I had 2 hard freezes in the last week but my setup is decidedly
> different. Using nouveau driver and nouveau.modesetting=0 as boot
> parameter and the first time, I thought it was the KVM I am using but
> the second time was over night / idle. I use KDE and I would guess that
> you are using Gnome.

Is the machine actually locked or just the X display. I have 2 new i7
machines using the nouveau driver and every couple of days the X display
locks. I can ssh to it from another machine and bring it down gracefully.
It needs to be powered off and restarted to get it back into a usable state.
If I just reboot it, tends to lock up before I can login. KVM seems to
aggravate the problem in that if I have virtual machines running the problem
happens sooner. IOW I get longer uptimes between lockups if the virt machines
are shutdown. I am not sure if that is relevant or not.

FWIW I filed Bug 559791 but so far no one has provided any feedback.

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl tdiehl@rogueind.com Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

Tom Horsley 02-12-2010 04:01 PM

latest F12 quckly unusable after restart
 
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:28:01 -0500 (EST)
Tom Diehl wrote:

> KVM seems to
> aggravate the problem in that if I have virtual machines running the problem
> happens sooner. IOW I get longer uptimes between lockups if the virt machines
> are shutdown. I am not sure if that is relevant or not.

Just have them running, or using the virt-viewer and virt-manager
to look at them as well?

May be the same problem I'm having here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=541387

Many things would freeze my display, but virt-viewer seemed to
provoke it much more frequently. I've now switched from radeon
to radeonhd and disabled many video accelerations with options
in the xorg.conf file and I haven't crashed in a long time.
Here's the relevant bit of my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Option "DRI" "off"
Option "AccelMethod" "shadowfb"
Option "NoRandr"
Option "UnverifiedFeatures" "off"
Driver "radeonhd"
EndSection

I also have to specify nomodeset on the kernel options
in grub.conf.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

Craig White 02-12-2010 04:33 PM

latest F12 quckly unusable after restart
 
On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 11:28 -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Craig White wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 20:21 -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> >> Since I updated my F12 workstation on Tuesday (haven't done it for two
> >> weeks before that) my machine becomes unusable pretty quickly after
> >> every restart. Sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes after a few hours.
> >>
> >> It manifests itself in an ever increasing load, although top doesn't
> >> show anything running. Shell processes simply stop while typing. I.e.,
> >> they don't accept any more keystrokes and just freeze.
> >>
> >> X overall becomes very sluggish. Scrolling in firefox moves pixels bn
> >> lines. The Xorg process is eating up lots of CPU cycles and kmsd (I
> >> assume kernel mode switching support in the kernel) also shows up.
> >>
> >> At least before the last reboot I see tons of ext4-dio-unwrit processes.
> >> Last time 81 of them. And I lost data at one of the many reboots.
> >>
> >>
> >> The machine is a single socket i7 with plenty of RAM. Lots of disk, one
> >> RAID 0 and one RAID 1 among the filesystems. All ext4. The graphics
> >> card is a dual head ATI.
> >>
> >> Anybody else seen something like that?
> > ----
> > I had 2 hard freezes in the last week but my setup is decidedly
> > different. Using nouveau driver and nouveau.modesetting=0 as boot
> > parameter and the first time, I thought it was the KVM I am using but
> > the second time was over night / idle. I use KDE and I would guess that
> > you are using Gnome.
>
> Is the machine actually locked or just the X display. I have 2 new i7
> machines using the nouveau driver and every couple of days the X display
> locks. I can ssh to it from another machine and bring it down gracefully.
> It needs to be powered off and restarted to get it back into a usable state.
> If I just reboot it, tends to lock up before I can login. KVM seems to
> aggravate the problem in that if I have virtual machines running the problem
> happens sooner. IOW I get longer uptimes between lockups if the virt machines
> are shutdown. I am not sure if that is relevant or not.
>
> FWIW I filed Bug 559791 but so far no one has provided any feedback.
----
When I say 'hard freeze' I mean that I cannot ssh or even switch to a
virtual terminal <Control><Alt><F2> and thus have no option to do
anything but a complete power off. Thankfully, that hasn't happened in
the past 3 days so maybe this is no longer an issue for me.

Sorry about the confusion about KVM... I was not referring to the
virtual manager but rather a physical KVM switch for my various
computers.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

Paolo Galtieri 02-12-2010 06:04 PM

latest F12 quckly unusable after restart
 
On 02/12/2010 10:01 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:28:01 -0500 (EST)
> Tom Diehl wrote:
>
>
>> KVM seems to
>> aggravate the problem in that if I have virtual machines running the problem
>> happens sooner. IOW I get longer uptimes between lockups if the virt machines
>> are shutdown. I am not sure if that is relevant or not.
>>
> Just have them running, or using the virt-viewer and virt-manager
> to look at them as well?
>
> May be the same problem I'm having here:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=541387
>
> Many things would freeze my display, but virt-viewer seemed to
> provoke it much more frequently. I've now switched from radeon
> to radeonhd and disabled many video accelerations with options
> in the xorg.conf file and I haven't crashed in a long time.
> Here's the relevant bit of my xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Videocard0"
> Option "DRI" "off"
> Option "AccelMethod" "shadowfb"
> Option "NoRandr"
> Option "UnverifiedFeatures" "off"
> Driver "radeonhd"
> EndSection
>
> I also have to specify nomodeset on the kernel options
> in grub.conf.
>
I have VMware Workstation 7 on my laptop running F12. Yesterday I had 2
VMs running, one was F12 (KDE) and one Ubuntu 9.10. I was in the
process of updating my F12 VM. After a few minutes the system started
to degrade. By degrade I mean the mouse would be slow to move, screen
redraws would take up to a minute, moving from one virtual dektop to
another would take up to one minute, etc. When I tried to switch from
one VM to the other the system started to really degrade, the disk light
was on solid and it was impossible to do anything. At one point the
clock on my desktop showed 4:00 PM while my watch showed 4:07 PM. This
system degradation went on for at least 20 minutes at which point I gave
up and power cycled my laptop.

I have noticed that whenever I run a VM the system starts to degrade,
part of the problem is due to disk access, but I have also noticed that
both processors spend 75 - 90% of the time in wait state.

In my case part of the problem maybe that all my VMs are on an external
USB drive.

Paolo
Paolo
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

Bill Davidsen 02-15-2010 07:41 PM

latest F12 quckly unusable after restart
 
Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 11:28 -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Craig White wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 20:21 -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>>>> Since I updated my F12 workstation on Tuesday (haven't done it for two
>>>> weeks before that) my machine becomes unusable pretty quickly after
>>>> every restart. Sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes after a few hours.
>>>>
>>>> It manifests itself in an ever increasing load, although top doesn't
>>>> show anything running. Shell processes simply stop while typing. I.e.,
>>>> they don't accept any more keystrokes and just freeze.
>>>>
>>>> X overall becomes very sluggish. Scrolling in firefox moves pixels bn
>>>> lines. The Xorg process is eating up lots of CPU cycles and kmsd (I
>>>> assume kernel mode switching support in the kernel) also shows up.
>>>>
>>>> At least before the last reboot I see tons of ext4-dio-unwrit processes.
>>>> Last time 81 of them. And I lost data at one of the many reboots.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> The machine is a single socket i7 with plenty of RAM. Lots of disk, one
>>>> RAID 0 and one RAID 1 among the filesystems. All ext4. The graphics
>>>> card is a dual head ATI.
>>>>
>>>> Anybody else seen something like that?
>>> ----
>>> I had 2 hard freezes in the last week but my setup is decidedly
>>> different. Using nouveau driver and nouveau.modesetting=0 as boot
>>> parameter and the first time, I thought it was the KVM I am using but
>>> the second time was over night / idle. I use KDE and I would guess that
>>> you are using Gnome.
>> Is the machine actually locked or just the X display. I have 2 new i7
>> machines using the nouveau driver and every couple of days the X display
>> locks. I can ssh to it from another machine and bring it down gracefully.
>> It needs to be powered off and restarted to get it back into a usable state.
>> If I just reboot it, tends to lock up before I can login. KVM seems to
>> aggravate the problem in that if I have virtual machines running the problem
>> happens sooner. IOW I get longer uptimes between lockups if the virt machines
>> are shutdown. I am not sure if that is relevant or not.
>>
>> FWIW I filed Bug 559791 but so far no one has provided any feedback.
> ----
> When I say 'hard freeze' I mean that I cannot ssh or even switch to a
> virtual terminal <Control><Alt><F2> and thus have no option to do
> anything but a complete power off. Thankfully, that hasn't happened in
> the past 3 days so maybe this is no longer an issue for me.
>
Even with the keyboard dead (happens all the time with FC12) you should be able
to ssh in from another machine. Odd.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
"We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
the machinations of the wicked." - from Slashdot

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.