FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
gary artim
 
Default radeon driver / fc12 / ati hd 4770

Hi --

Since i upgraded 2 machines to fc12 they have been experiences strange
zebra like lines on parts of their screens. I found a reference to
this type of problem which
encouraged using kernel option nomodeset. The zebra like lines seem to
have gone, but now there are checker board images in some areas.

Any other options I could try to fix this? I'd be happy as a clam if
it just worked right, no 3d, just a good snappy screen.

thanks much,

-- Gary
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default radeon driver / fc12 / ati hd 4770

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:23:09 -0800
gary artim wrote:

> Any other options I could try to fix this? I'd be happy as a clam if
> it just worked right, no 3d, just a good snappy screen.

On my system at work with a radeon HD card, I finally switched to
the radeonhd driver and by disabling enough options, got it to
be reliable in 2d. I added nomodeset to kernel options and made
an xorg.conf file with this for the driver:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Option "DRI" "off"
Option "AccelMethod" "shadowfb"
Option "NoRandr"
Option "UnverifiedFeatures" "off"
Driver "radeonhd"
EndSection

This works with my HD 2400 PRO, but who knows if it will work
for anthing else :-).
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
gary artim
 
Default radeon driver / fc12 / ati hd 4770

Thanks Tom --

I'll give it a shot. Any other options/opinions are welcomed -- l'll
gladly put a wiki up explaining how and what works if i can make that
happen -- don't you just love video cards!?

-- Gary

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:23:09 -0800
> gary artim wrote:
>
>> Any other options I could try to fix this? I'd be happy as a clam if
>> it just worked right, no 3d, just a good snappy screen.
>
> On my system at work with a radeon HD card, I finally switched to
> the radeonhd driver and by disabling enough options, got it to
> be reliable in 2d. I added nomodeset to kernel options and made
> an xorg.conf file with this for the driver:
>
> Section "Device"
> * * * *Identifier *"Videocard0"
> * * * *Option * * *"DRI" "off"
> * * * *Option * * *"AccelMethod" "shadowfb"
> * * * *Option * * *"NoRandr"
> * * * *Option * * *"UnverifiedFeatures" "off"
> * * * *Driver * * *"radeonhd"
> EndSection
>
> This works with my HD 2400 PRO, but who knows if it will work
> for anthing else :-).
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default radeon driver / fc12 / ati hd 4770

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:07:58 -0800,
gary artim <gartim@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tom --
>
> I'll give it a shot. Any other options/opinions are welcomed -- l'll
> gladly put a wiki up explaining how and what works if i can make that
> happen -- don't you just love video cards!?

Please make sure there are bugzilla entries for the problems you encountered
using the ati driver. Even if you need to use radeonhd to get things to work,
the bugs are more likely to get fixed if the developers are told about them.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
gary artim
 
Default radeon driver / fc12 / ati hd 4770

will do.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:07:58 -0800,
> *gary artim <gartim@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Tom --
>>
>> I'll give it a shot. Any other options/opinions are welcomed -- l'll
>> gladly put a wiki up explaining how and what works if i can make that
>> happen -- don't you just love video cards!?
>
> Please make sure there are bugzilla entries for the problems you encountered
> using the ati driver. Even if you need to use radeonhd to get things to work,
> the bugs are more likely to get fixed if the developers are told about them.
>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM
gary artim
 
Default radeon driver / fc12 / ati hd 4770

fyi, i just went over to the 2 machine and talked with the users of
them. they showed me that within
konquerer and kconsole the fonts get funky graphics, like the
character set is set incorrectly. But not consistent
at all. Moves around to different parts of the screen. Sometime the
boarder area is hosed. Sometime the
desktop icons are unreadable. The zebra lines and checked board images
on the background seem to
come and go.

i'll try changing to radeonhd -- i remember giving it a quick shot in
the beginning and having trouble getting a gdm
login screen. Will try again. -- g.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:31 AM, gary artim <gartim@gmail.com> wrote:
> will do.
>
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:07:58 -0800,
>> *gary artim <gartim@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks Tom --
>>>
>>> I'll give it a shot. Any other options/opinions are welcomed -- l'll
>>> gladly put a wiki up explaining how and what works if i can make that
>>> happen -- don't you just love video cards!?
>>
>> Please make sure there are bugzilla entries for the problems you encountered
>> using the ati driver. Even if you need to use radeonhd to get things to work,
>> the bugs are more likely to get fixed if the developers are told about them.
>>
>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 PM
psmith
 
Default radeon driver / fc12 / ati hd 4770

On 10/02/10 19:21, gary artim wrote:
> fyi, i just went over to the 2 machine and talked with the users of
> them. they showed me that within
> konquerer and kconsole the fonts get funky graphics, like the
> character set is set incorrectly. But not consistent
> at all. Moves around to different parts of the screen. Sometime the
> boarder area is hosed. Sometime the
> desktop icons are unreadable. The zebra lines and checked board images
> on the background seem to
> come and go.
>
> i'll try changing to radeonhd -- i remember giving it a quick shot in
> the beginning and having trouble getting a gdm
> login screen. Will try again. -- g.
>
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:31 AM, gary artim<gartim@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> will do.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Bruno Wolff III<bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:07:58 -0800,
>>> �gary artim<gartim@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Thanks Tom --
>>>>
>>>> I'll give it a shot. Any other options/opinions are welcomed -- l'll
>>>> gladly put a wiki up explaining how and what works if i can make that
>>>> happen -- don't you just love video cards!?
>>>>
>>> Please make sure there are bugzilla entries for the problems you encountered
>>> using the ati driver. Even if you need to use radeonhd to get things to work,
>>> the bugs are more likely to get fixed if the developers are told about them.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>

have you tried mesa-dri-drivers-experimental? they are working very well here (F12 X86_64 HD3400)

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 AM
gary artim
 
Default radeon driver / fc12 / ati hd 4770

yes I did try them, same results. g

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 2:46 PM, psmith <psmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 10/02/10 19:21, gary artim wrote:
>> fyi, i just went over to the 2 machine and talked with the users of
>> them. they showed me that within
>> konquerer and kconsole the fonts get funky graphics, like the
>> character set is set incorrectly. But not consistent
>> at all. Moves around to different parts of the screen. Sometime the
>> boarder area is hosed. Sometime the
>> desktop icons are unreadable. The zebra lines and checked board images
>> on the background seem to
>> come and go.
>>
>> i'll try changing to radeonhd -- i remember giving it a quick shot in
>> the beginning and having trouble getting a gdm
>> login screen. Will try again. -- g.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:31 AM, gary artim<gartim@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>
>>> will do.
>>>
>>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Bruno Wolff III<bruno@wolff.to> *wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:07:58 -0800,
>>>> �gary artim<gartim@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Thanks Tom --
>>>>>
>>>>> I'll give it a shot. Any other options/opinions are welcomed -- l'll
>>>>> gladly put a wiki up explaining how and what works if i can make that
>>>>> happen -- don't you just love video cards!?
>>>>>
>>>> Please make sure there are bugzilla entries for the problems you encountered
>>>> using the ati driver. Even if you need to use radeonhd to get things to work,
>>>> the bugs are more likely to get fixed if the developers are told about them.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>
> have you tried mesa-dri-drivers-experimental? they are working very well here (F12 X86_64 HD3400)
>
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org