Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   Building the kernel and kernel objects (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/323637-building-kernel-kernel-objects.html)

"Dave Higton" 02-10-2010 08:43 AM

Building the kernel and kernel objects
 
I'm trying to build the kernel (although all I want at the moment is
udf.ko) following the instructions at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel but udf.ko is coming out
at over 20 times the size of the distribution version. I presume it's a
debug version?

How do I build something that is identical (other than maybe the version
string) to the distribution version I'm using?

Please be gentle with me; I'm a first time kernel builder (i.e. I've
tried several times, but never yet succeeded).

Dave


NICE CTI Systems UK Limited ("NICE") is registered in England under company number, 3403044. The registered office of NICE is at Tollbar Way, Hedge End, Southampton, Hampshire SO30 2ZP.

Confidentiality: This communication and any attachments are intended for the above-named persons only and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily those of NICE. If this communication has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender by e-mail immediately.

Monitoring: NICE may monitor incoming and outgoing e-mails.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps toward ensuring that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

"Dave Higton" 02-10-2010 09:39 AM

Building the kernel and kernel objects
 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org
> [mailto:users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of
> Dave Higton
> Sent: 2010 February 10 09:43
> To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> Subject: Building the kernel and kernel objects
>
> I'm trying to build the kernel (although all I want at the moment is
> udf.ko) following the instructions at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel but udf.ko is
> coming out
> at over 20 times the size of the distribution version. I
> presume it's a
> debug version?
>
> How do I build something that is identical (other than maybe
> the version
> string) to the distribution version I'm using?
>
> Please be gentle with me; I'm a first time kernel builder (i.e. I've
> tried several times, but never yet succeeded).

Even more frustrating: while the kernel build was running, I
searched for udf.ko and found one that was of identical size
to the distribution version. By the time I tried to run a
binary comparison, the file had been deleted.

The penultimate line in the build window was:

+ rm -rf
/home/my-username/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/kernel-2.6.27.41-170.2.117.abc42.fc
10.i386

so that's what did the damage. Where and why does that line
exist?

Dave


NICE CTI Systems UK Limited ("NICE") is registered in England under company number, 3403044. The registered office of NICE is at Tollbar Way, Hedge End, Southampton, Hampshire SO30 2ZP.

Confidentiality: This communication and any attachments are intended for the above-named persons only and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily those of NICE. If this communication has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender by e-mail immediately.

Monitoring: NICE may monitor incoming and outgoing e-mails.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps toward ensuring that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

Tony Nelson 02-10-2010 07:03 PM

Building the kernel and kernel objects
 
On 10-02-10 05:39:06, Dave Higton wrote:
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org
> > [mailto:users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of
> > Dave Higton
> > Sent: 2010 February 10 09:43
> > To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> > Subject: Building the kernel and kernel objects
> >
> > I'm trying to build the kernel (although all I want at the moment
> > is udf.ko) following the instructions at
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel but udf.ko is
> > coming out at over 20 times the size of the distribution version.
> > I presume it's a debug version?
> >
> > How do I build something that is identical (other than maybe
> > the version string) to the distribution version I'm using?
> >
> > Please be gentle with me; I'm a first time kernel builder (i.e.
> > I've tried several times, but never yet succeeded).

I can see that you're also a first-time RPM (rpmbuild) user.

> Even more frustrating: while the kernel build was running, I
> searched for udf.ko and found one that was of identical size
> to the distribution version. By the time I tried to run a
> binary comparison, the file had been deleted.
>
> The penultimate line in the build window was:
>
> + rm -rf
> /home/my-username/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/
> kernel-2.6.27.41-170.2.117.abc42.fc
> 10.i386
>
> so that's what did the damage. Where and why does that line
> exist?
...

It means that the new RPMs are all built. You just need to install
them. See the instructions you're following. You might also look into
building "out of tree" kernel modules, also in those instructions.

--
__________________________________________________ __________________
TonyN.:' <mailto:tonynelson@georgeanelson.com>
' <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

"Dave Higton" 02-11-2010 08:10 AM

Building the kernel and kernel objects
 
On 10-02-10 20:03:00, Tony Nelson wrote:
>
> On 10-02-10 05:39:06, Dave Higton wrote:
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org
> > > [mailto:users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of
> > > Dave Higton
> > > Sent: 2010 February 10 09:43
> > > To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> > > Subject: Building the kernel and kernel objects
> > >
> > > I'm trying to build the kernel (although all I want at the moment
> > > is udf.ko) following the instructions at
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel but udf.ko is
> > > coming out at over 20 times the size of the distribution
> version.
> > > I presume it's a debug version?
> > >
> > > How do I build something that is identical (other than maybe
> > > the version string) to the distribution version I'm using?
> > >
> > > Please be gentle with me; I'm a first time kernel builder (i.e.
> > > I've tried several times, but never yet succeeded).
>
> I can see that you're also a first-time RPM (rpmbuild) user.

Yes.

I've now twigged that rpmbuild isn't about building /from/
RPMs, it's about building RPMs, so it creates the RPMs and
then deletes the files used to create them.

The current frustration is that I still can't build udf.ko
identical to, or even the same size as, the original in the
running distribution; the differences are more than can be
explained by different vermagic strings:

Distro 78604
kernel 79028
kernel-debug 78492

the latter two being what I've built. Why the differences?
Yesterday morning I did happen to see, briefly, udf.ko built
at 78604 bytes, but that version didn't make it into any RPM
I built.

> > Even more frustrating: while the kernel build was running, I
> > searched for udf.ko and found one that was of identical size
> > to the distribution version. By the time I tried to run a
> > binary comparison, the file had been deleted.
> >
> > The penultimate line in the build window was:
> >
> > + rm -rf
> > /home/my-username/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/
> > kernel-2.6.27.41-170.2.117.abc42.fc
> > 10.i386
> >
> > so that's what did the damage. Where and why does that line
> > exist?
> ...
>
> It means that the new RPMs are all built. You just need to install
> them. See the instructions you're following. You might also
> look into
> building "out of tree" kernel modules, also in those instructions.

If only I could understand them.

Dave


NICE CTI Systems UK Limited ("NICE") is registered in England under company number, 3403044. The registered office of NICE is at Tollbar Way, Hedge End, Southampton, Hampshire SO30 2ZP.

Confidentiality: This communication and any attachments are intended for the above-named persons only and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily those of NICE. If this communication has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender by e-mail immediately.

Monitoring: NICE may monitor incoming and outgoing e-mails.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps toward ensuring that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines

"Dave Higton" 02-11-2010 02:37 PM

Building the kernel and kernel objects
 
On 2010-02-11 09:10 I wrote:

> On 10-02-10 20:03:00, Tony Nelson wrote:
> >
> > You might also look into
> > building "out of tree" kernel modules, also in those instructions.
>
> If only I could understand them.

To be more specific: the instructions seem to assume that, if module
foo.ko is being built, there will be a file foo.c. In the case of
udf.ko there is no file called udf.c. I haven't managed to find
how to build udf.ko on its own. There must be a way, and I'd like
to use it, if only I knew or could work out what it is.

Dave


NICE CTI Systems UK Limited ("NICE") is registered in England under company number, 3403044. The registered office of NICE is at Tollbar Way, Hedge End, Southampton, Hampshire SO30 2ZP.

Confidentiality: This communication and any attachments are intended for the above-named persons only and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily those of NICE. If this communication has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender by e-mail immediately.

Monitoring: NICE may monitor incoming and outgoing e-mails.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps toward ensuring that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.