Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default installing and running memcache under fedora 12?

from a position of blissful ignorance, i promised someone i'd figure
out how to install memcache under fedora 12. a quick google brought
me here:

http://jungleg.com/2009/04/15/installing-and-configuring-memcached-for-php-in-fedora/

but there's something a bit confusing about those instructions.

currently, on my f12 system, there are no memcache-related packages,
so i started by installing the obvious:

# yum install memcached

and that was the only package installed. that package lists
"libevent" as a dependency but that was already installed so i was
fine there.

however, the instructions on the aforementioned web page read:

"Finally we need to get the Memcached extension for PHP installed.
Again using yum:
yum install php-pecl-memcache"

we *need* to get that extension for PHP installed? really? but if
it's necessary, why is it not listed as a dependency for memcached?
what if i *don't* install it? how does memcached work *then*?

just curious about that lack of dependency.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 9 February 2010 22:17, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> "Finally we need to get the Memcached extension for PHP installed.
> Again using yum:
> yum install php-pecl-memcache"
>
> *we *need* to get that extension for PHP installed? *really? *but if
> it's necessary, why is it not listed as a dependency for memcached?
> what if i *don't* install it? *how does memcached work *then*?
>
> *just curious about that lack of dependency.

Memcache can cache lots of things in lots of ways, not just PHP. If
you want to cache via Memcache using PHP (which is what that article
is about) then you need php-pecl-memcache.

For example, lets say I have a big beefy MySQL serving machine with
oodles of spare memory. I also have 4 webservers. I want to use a
centralised memcache installation on the DB server, but I'm going to
access the objects from the webservers.

In this case, the DB server needs only memcached and the webservers
need only php-pecl-memcache - neither is a direct dependency on the
other.

Make sense?

--
Sam

Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Sam Sharpe

Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Sam Sharpe wrote:

> On 9 February 2010 22:17, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > "Finally we need to get the Memcached extension for PHP installed.
> > Again using yum:
> > yum install php-pecl-memcache"
> >
> > *we *need* to get that extension for PHP installed? *really? *but
> > if it's necessary, why is it not listed as a dependency for
> > memcached? what if i *don't* install it? *how does memcached work
> > *then*?
> >
> > *just curious about that lack of dependency.
>
> Memcache can cache lots of things in lots of ways, not just PHP. If
> you want to cache via Memcache using PHP (which is what that article
> is about) then you need php-pecl-memcache.
>
> For example, lets say I have a big beefy MySQL serving machine with
> oodles of spare memory. I also have 4 webservers. I want to use a
> centralised memcache installation on the DB server, but I'm going to
> access the objects from the webservers.
>
> In this case, the DB server needs only memcached and the webservers
> need only php-pecl-memcache - neither is a direct dependency on the
> other.
>
> Make sense?

ironically, that's exactly the situation i'm looking at here -- one
system acting as a webserver, the other as a mysql db server. both of
them currently have *both* packages installed (memcached and
php-pecl-memcache) which, if i read you correctly, is slightly
overkill, and i could remove memcached from the webserver and the php
package from the db server. is that about right?

of course, if a single system was acting as both web and db server,
it would need both.

rday

Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"