Old 02-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default F12 and SyncMaster 2443 and 1920x1600 resolution?

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 10:49:44 -0800,
Paul Erickson <va7nt@telus.net> wrote:
> I have searched the archives, and not found anything that looks applicable.
>
> Has anyone been able to successfully configure F12 to support 1920x1600
> resolution with the Samsung SyncMaster 2443?
>
> I have tried disabling the Nouveau drivers and installing the Nvidia,
> but it doesn't seem to work. The motherboard is the M2N-MX using the
> onboard video. I was able to get this hardware to work with F11, but for
> some reason, can't get the upgrade to work.
>
> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

If that monitor isn't supplying (correct) EDID information, then the driver
may not know it is capable of 1920x1600 (at some reasonable refresh rate)
and will not generate that mode line. The drivers got a lot more finicky
about that for F12. If you know the monitor and the video card can do that
(because say you didn't fry them under F11 doing the same thing), then you
can have an xorg.conf file that includes a mode line for that.
There are several programs that you can use to assist in generating mode lines
and provide the information you need to check against the specs of the
monitor and video card to make sure you aren't driving them outside of spec.
I used "cvt" for this, but I have seen other ones suggested on the list.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Tuesday 09 February 2010 18:49:44 Paul Erickson wrote:
> Has anyone been able to successfully configure F12 to support 1920x1600
> resolution with the Samsung SyncMaster 2443?

What makes you think that this monitor can do 1920x1600? Google says that it
can do only 1920x1200, whatever specs I look at.

> I have tried disabling the Nouveau drivers and installing the Nvidia,
> but it doesn't seem to work. The motherboard is the M2N-MX using the
> onboard video. I was able to get this hardware to work with F11, but for
> some reason, can't get the upgrade to work.

If the monitor doesn't support some resolution, no amount of tweaking the
drivers can make it work. The xrandr command should give you available
resolutions, autodetected by X via the monitor EDID data. I bet 1920x1600 is
not on the list.

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Ed Greshko

Paul Erickson wrote:
> I have searched the archives, and not found anything that looks applicable.
>
> Has anyone been able to successfully configure F12 to support 1920x1600
> resolution with the Samsung SyncMaster 2443?
>
> I have tried disabling the Nouveau drivers and installing the Nvidia,
> but it doesn't seem to work. The motherboard is the M2N-MX using the
> onboard video. I was able to get this hardware to work with F11, but for
> some reason, can't get the upgrade to work.
>
> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I'm running a 2343 at 2048x1152 (its native resolution) on RHELv4
without problems using the nVidia driver. When people state "doesn't
work" I find someone can help when the Xorg.0.log is posted to the list.

--
Don't hit a man when he's down -- kick him; it's easier.