Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Network Interface Description

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 13:06:03 -0500,
Over Kill <overkill@sadiqs.net> wrote:
> All, is there a way to put in a description in the network interfaces like
> you can do in Cisco devices? This way when I run the ifconfig -a command
> and I can view the description and remind myself of it's routing mechanism
> or what it's attached to. I'm currently working in a overly architected
> network with no access and all our servers have multiple interfaces. Thanks
> in advance.

A quick look at the ip man page doesn't show any way to conveniently comment
an interface.

There are a couple of possbible hacks you might consider.

You can set the mac address of most ethernet devices. That provides a
way to spell out a short label from a restricted set of characters.
(e.g. HWaddr DE:C1:A5:51:F1:ED)

Another thing you can do is label the addresses (actually network would be a
better description) attached to a device. This is an extension of the old alias
feature. This might have other ramifications though.
For example:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:05:33:E9:F7
inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:18 Base address:0xa000

eth0:test label Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:05:33:E9:F7
inet addr:10.0.0.1 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.0.0.0