FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Danny Yee
 
Default looking for motherboard recommendation

I'm looking for a micro-ATX socket 775 motherboard that has video and
audio on-board. I want something that will drive a 1920x1200 monitor,
but I don't play games so performance isn't an issue. The important
thing is that it needs to work with Fedora without messing around.

The Asus P5Q-VM motherboard I have has an Intel audio system that I've
never been able to get to work reliably - I keep having to rebuild my
own alsa-driver modules and even that seems to have stopped working
with Fedora 12, and in Fedora 12 I've only managed to get the Intel
video working (at more than a frame refresh a minute) by modifying
xorg.conf and the kernel boot options.

Any recommendations? I'm inclined to avoid Intel given my experience,
but are the alternatives any better?

Danny.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Kam Leo
 
Default looking for motherboard recommendation

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Danny Yee <bookreviewer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a micro-ATX socket 775 motherboard that has video and
> audio on-board. *I want something that will drive a 1920x1200 monitor,
> but I don't play games so performance isn't an issue. *The important
> thing is that it needs to work with Fedora without messing around.
>
> The Asus P5Q-VM motherboard I have has an Intel audio system that I've
> never been able to get to work reliably - I keep having to rebuild my
> own alsa-driver modules and even that seems to have stopped working
> with Fedora 12, and in Fedora 12 I've only managed to get the Intel
> video working (at more than a frame refresh a minute) by modifying
> xorg.conf and the kernel boot options.
>
> Any recommendations? *I'm inclined to avoid Intel given my experience,
> but are the alternatives any better?
>
> Danny.

You don't have to use the on-board peripherals. Is there any reason
why you will not buy a new sound and graphics cards for your existing
system? You buy both for less than $40. About what you would have to
pay for an obsolete technology motherboard.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-09-2010, 10:19 PM
g
 
Default looking for motherboard recommendation

Danny Yee wrote:
> I'm looking for a micro-ATX socket 775 motherboard that has video and
> audio on-board.
<snip>
> Any recommendations? I'm inclined to avoid Intel given my experience,
> but are the alternatives any better?

i can not give you a direct answer, but do recommend having a look at
these sites to find what will fit your desires.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/

http://linuxhardware.org/

http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compatibility/hardware/


you will need to do some searching on above sites, but you should find
what will meet you requirements.


hth.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

g
.

****
in a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today.
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it.
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition' http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html
'The Linux Documentation Project' http://www.tldp.org/
'LDP HOWTO-index' http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Danny Yee
 
Default looking for motherboard recommendation

You're right, and if I were just fixing my existing system I would buy
expansion cards - though the motherboard I have doesn't have that many
slots, so getting both a video card and a sound card onto it is only
just possible.

But I'm actually relocating countries, so I'll be buying a new system
completely. And again, I prefer a motherboard solution as it allows
for a smaller case.

Danny.

On 10 February 2010 04:47, Kam Leo <kam.leo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Danny Yee <bookreviewer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a micro-ATX socket 775 motherboard that has video and
>> audio on-board. *I want something that will drive a 1920x1200 monitor,
>> but I don't play games so performance isn't an issue. *The important
>> thing is that it needs to work with Fedora without messing around.
>>
>> The Asus P5Q-VM motherboard I have has an Intel audio system that I've
>> never been able to get to work reliably - I keep having to rebuild my
>> own alsa-driver modules and even that seems to have stopped working
>> with Fedora 12, and in Fedora 12 I've only managed to get the Intel
>> video working (at more than a frame refresh a minute) by modifying
>> xorg.conf and the kernel boot options.
>>
>> Any recommendations? *I'm inclined to avoid Intel given my experience,
>> but are the alternatives any better?
>>
>> Danny.
>
> You don't have to use the on-board peripherals. Is there any reason
> why you will not buy a new sound and graphics cards for your existing
> system? You buy both for less than $40. About what you would have to
> pay for an obsolete technology motherboard.
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
>
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Kam Leo
 
Default looking for motherboard recommendation

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Danny Yee <bookreviewer@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're right, and if I were just fixing my existing system I would buy
> expansion cards - though the motherboard I have doesn't have that many
> slots, so getting both a video card and a sound card onto it is only
> just possible.

That is a limitation of a micro-ATX form factor. Unless you buy a
graphics card with an over-sized cooling fan there should be
room/connectors on the micro-ATX MB for the sound card and an
additional peripheral.

> But I'm actually relocating countries, so I'll be buying a new system
> completely. *And again, I prefer a motherboard solution as it allows
> for a smaller case.

Your choices are not unlimited. Intel is not turning out new designs
for socket-775. There are only two chip set (Intel and nVidia) and
half-a-dozen MB manufacturers. A micro-ATX form factor will filter
your choices further.

> Danny.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org