-   -   Problems with X11 in FC12. (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/322955-problems-x11-fc12.html)

Bruno Wolff III 02-09-2010 03:46 AM

Problems with X11 in FC12.

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 21:46:52 -0700,
reg@dwf.com wrote:

> So, others seeing this?
> Any fix?

Does your display do EDID? If the driver can't tell what the limits of the
display are it uses very conservative values so as not to destroy the
display. If that is the problem you can define appropriate modelines in
your xorg.conf file.

I need to do that for some old lcd displays I have.

02-09-2010 03:46 AM

Problems with X11 in FC12.

I dont know if these are known problems (with work arounds) but
I see at least two major problems with X11 (and the nouveau driver for Nvidia
cards).

(1) The driver no longer understands <ctl><alt><+> and <ctl><alt><-> to move
among the definitions on the MODE line.

(2) On two separate systems here, on startup, X11 seems to throw away all MODE
definitions except those within epsilon of 60Hz. This leaves me with an
800x600
screen which is unacceptable.

Now (1) could just be due to (2) eliminating all alternatives, but I have no
way of knowing.

So, others seeing this?
Any fix?

With this screen Fc12 (with this video driver) is unusable for me.

--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Ed Greshko 02-09-2010 03:57 AM

Problems with X11 in FC12.

reg@dwf.com wrote:
> I dont know if these are known problems (with work arounds) but
> I see at least two major problems with X11 (and the nouveau driver for Nvidia
> cards).
>
> (1) The driver no longer understands <ctl><alt><+> and <ctl><alt><-> to move
> among the definitions on the MODE line.

This feature is now off by default.....

You need to add the "DontZap" option to your xorg.conf. Check the man
page for details...

> (2) On two separate systems here, on startup, X11 seems to throw away all MODE
> definitions except those within epsilon of 60Hz. This leaves me with an
> 800x600
> screen which is unacceptable.
>
> Now (1) could just be due to (2) eliminating all alternatives, but I have no
> way of knowing.
>
> So, others seeing this?
> Any fix?
>
> With this screen Fc12 (with this video driver) is unusable for me.

--
Mistrust first impulses; they are always right.

Ed Greshko 02-09-2010 03:58 AM

Problems with X11 in FC12.

Ed Greshko wrote:
> reg@dwf.com wrote:
>
>> I dont know if these are known problems (with work arounds) but
>> I see at least two major problems with X11 (and the nouveau driver for Nvidia
>> cards).
>>
>> (1) The driver no longer understands <ctl><alt><+> and <ctl><alt><-> to move
>> among the definitions on the MODE line.
>>

> This feature is now off by default.....
>
> You need to add the "DontZap" option to your xorg.conf. Check the man
> page for details...

Oh....and the "DontZoom" option as well....

>> (2) On two separate systems here, on startup, X11 seems to throw away all MODE
>> definitions except those within epsilon of 60Hz. This leaves me with an
>> 800x600
>> screen which is unacceptable.
>>
>> Now (1) could just be due to (2) eliminating all alternatives, but I have no
>> way of knowing.
>>
>> So, others seeing this?
>> Any fix?
>>
>> With this screen Fc12 (with this video driver) is unusable for me.

--
Truth is the most valuable thing we have -- so let us economize it. --
Mark Twain