Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 PM
John Aldrich

Default help verifying a site using Firefox

On Monday 08 February 2010, Rick Stevens wrote:
[snip]

> > Would somebody be so kind as to try this link using Firefox
> > (preferably 3.0.15) and let me know their result?
> >
> > https://servicing.capitalone.com/c1/login.aspx
> >
> > There is supposed to be a login block on the left side of the page.
>
> Works for me.

Ditto. I'm using F11 right now with FireFox 3.5.6.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Jamie Bohr

Works for me, Firefox 3.5.7.* I suggesting clearing your browser cache.

- Jamie

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm currently on f10 using their firefox 3.0.15 build to which I've

installed firebug. *I don't know whether firebug or firefox is the

culprit but the site displays correctly using Galeon and Chrome (with

firebug). *I'd like to determine if it's the site's problem or that of

Firefox/Firebug but it smells like a bug in the site's _javascript_.

The problem occurs when I try to use CapitalOne's web site. *It has

worked mostly well since 2007 but been on the fritz for a couple of

months now.

<you gotta be kidding>

Unfortunately, CapitalOne's help line is in India, their phone system

sucks (probably do-it-yourself voip with asterisk and really cheap

headsets: can't hear them, fades in and out, is mostly unintelligible

but my neighbors can hear their on-hold music) and they keep insisting

that I use IE. *Oh, and since I can't login they will take my payment

via telephone and to verify my payment I should login. *WTF? *It seems

their tech support is in desperate need of tech support :/

</you gotta be kidding>

Since I can't count on them for help I'm turning to you.

Would somebody be so kind as to try this link using Firefox (preferably

3.0.15) and let me know their result?

* * https://servicing.capitalone.com/c1/login.aspx

There is supposed to be a login block on the left side of the page.

Greatly appreciated,

Mike Wright

Jamie Bohr

Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 PM
glenn

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 13:45:04 -0800
Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Would somebody be so kind as to try this link using Firefox
> (preferably 3.0.15) and let me know their result?
>
> https://servicing.capitalone.com/c1/login.aspx
>
> There is supposed to be a login block on the left side of the page.
>
> Greatly appreciated,
> Mike Wright

Works fine here too, w/ F10 and FF 3.0.15.

But it did bark about 'no javascript installed' until I updated
the NoScript add-on to 1.9.9.45.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Mike Wright

Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently on f10 using their firefox 3.0.15 build to which I've
> installed firebug. I don't know whether firebug or firefox is the
> culprit but the site displays correctly using Galeon and Chrome (with
> firebug). I'd like to determine if it's the site's problem or that of
> Firefox/Firebug but it smells like a bug in the site's javascript.
>
> The problem occurs when I try to use CapitalOne's web site. It has
> worked mostly well since 2007 but been on the fritz for a couple of
> months now.
> <snip />
> Would somebody be so kind as to try this link using Firefox (preferably
> 3.0.15) and let me know their result?
>
> https://servicing.capitalone.com/c1/login.aspx
>
> There is supposed to be a login block on the left side of the page.

Firstly, thanks to everybody who took the time to help.

I, too, got a javascript is not installed error but I know for a fact
that it's there because I use it extensively.

I disabled firebug and firephp: that was not the culprit. So I
re-enabled them and used them to see what I could see. I saw a lot.

Using the element inspector I hovered over the area where the login box
was supposed to appear and it "lit up": that means it's there.
Exploring deeper I found an <iframe> that was set to display: none;
however, it did contain the login form, so I did a little inline html
editing and changed it to display: block and voila', there it was and it
was functional.

Looking at the site's javascript I found it erroring out on something
called busybox as undefined. That is definitely an error but whose I
don't know. Is busybox supposed to be native to the browser or is it a
piece of cap1's js? That I can't tell you.

But at least I can force the site to behave by modifying their content
"on the fly". Bet they never anticipated somebody doing that ;D

Old 02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Nataraj

Mike Wright wrote:
> Mike Wright wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm currently on f10 using their firefox 3.0.15 build to which I've
>> installed firebug. I don't know whether firebug or firefox is the
>> culprit but the site displays correctly using Galeon and Chrome (with
>> firebug). I'd like to determine if it's the site's problem or that of
>> Firefox/Firebug but it smells like a bug in the site's javascript.

I can login the the capitalone web site using either firefox or chrome
under F10 using firefox 3.0.15. I do however have the sun version of
java installed. When I go to http://www.javatester.org/version.html it
shows: Java Version 1.6.0_12 from Sun Microsystems Inc. inside the
rectangular box. At least back when I installed F10, I still found many
sites that didn't work properly with the default java configuration. In
particular, the Dell DRAC 5 card web interface didn't work. I'll be
going to F12 soon, so I'll see what happens there.

Nataraj