Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Dawning Sky

Default I/O error while rebuilding an md raid-5 array

Hi,
I have some trouble with my md raid-5 array. *It has four 500GB drives (sdb1-sde1). *sde started giving some SMART error (Pending Bad Sectors), so just to be safe, I decided to replace it. *I declared it to be faulty and removed it from the array and add a new drive and the rebuilding was automatic. *But before the rebuilding can finish, I got an I/O error from sdb1 and it was declared faulty by md. *

Now I have two faulty drives and things don't look good. *However, I was able to added the second drive back to the array and md seemed not mind and still reports "active sync". *At this point I shut down computer and decided to clone sdb with clonezilla. *Not sure if it will complete without I/O errors. *It appears clonezilla is using dd and the speed is extremely slow (~5MB/sec) and it says it's gonna take 1 day to clone the 500GB.

The only reason I'm not in a total panic mode is that I did a back up before doing all this. *Now I'm keeping my finger crossed that my backup drive won't die. *In retrospect, I should have just shut down the computer and cloned sde instead of letting md to rebuild the array. *

Any suggestion on the best to proceed is highly appreciated, especially on the scenario that I won't be able to clone sdb. *Is there any way to avoid building a new array? *

Regards,
DS
PS, if in the end I have to build a new array, I'll probably go with a raid 6 instead. *