Old 02-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Mike Dwiggins

Default Wierd httpd Problem

Larry Brower wrote:
> Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>
>> I have a brand new Fedora 11 server up and have it set up for LAMP.
>> httpd loads and works apparently fine and I was able to load WordPress
>> and it is visable via the WWW. However, I cannot connect out from the
>> WordPress installation and askimet is claiming I have a DNS problem.
>>
>> SELinus is set to Disabled , iptables is a straight allow all and DNS
>> Report returns one yellow warning as both my nameservers are on the same
>> class C.
>>
>> This is wierd, I run five other domains with the exact same DNS setup
>> and have no problems.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Mike
>>

> Can you provide the domain in question as well as what Askimet is
> telling you so that we could tell you what we see? This doesn't
> sound like an error with Apache and more along the lines of a DNS issue.

domain i s www.failsafeink.com and askimet is kicking me to this file.
This has me dumbfounded!

Mike

Old 02-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Larry Brower

Mike Dwiggins wrote:

> domain i s www.failsafeink.com and askimet is kicking me to this file.
> This has me dumbfounded!
>
> Mike

The DNS looks fine and I am able to load that site without any issues
also. Did you recently change anything in DNS for the domain including
nameservers? This could be an issue with askimet's recursive server's
having old information cached.

You didn't actually provide the error that askimet is giving you.

"askimet is kicking me to this file"

Can you expand on this in more detail? I am not sure what you mean

Also, probably not relevant, but worth mentioning. Do you have any
blackhole ACL's on those authoritative servers which could be blocking
askimet from resolving the domain?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Mike Dwiggins

Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> Larry Brower wrote:
>
>> Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>>

>>> I have a brand new Fedora 11 server up and have it set up for LAMP.
>>> httpd loads and works apparently fine and I was able to load WordPress
>>> and it is visable via the WWW. However, I cannot connect out from the
>>> WordPress installation and askimet is claiming I have a DNS problem.
>>>
>>> SELinus is set to Disabled , iptables is a straight allow all and DNS
>>> Report returns one yellow warning as both my nameservers are on the same
>>> class C.
>>>
>>> This is wierd, I run five other domains with the exact same DNS setup
>>> and have no problems.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>>> Mike
>>>

>> Can you provide the domain in question as well as what Askimet is
>> telling you so that we could tell you what we see? This doesn't
>> sound like an error with Apache and more along the lines of a DNS issue.
>>

> domain i s www.failsafeink.com and askimet is kicking me to this file.
> This has me dumbfounded!
>
> Mike

Left out the file http://blog.akismet.com/akismet-hosting-faq/

Mike

Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 AM
Mike Dwiggins

Larry Brower wrote:
> Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>

>> domain i s www.failsafeink.com and askimet is kicking me to this file.
>> This has me dumbfounded!
>>
>> Mike
>>

> The DNS looks fine and I am able to load that site without any issues
> also. Did you recently change anything in DNS for the domain including
> nameservers? This could be an issue with askimet's recursive server's
> having old information cached.
>
> You didn't actually provide the error that askimet is giving you.
>
> "askimet is kicking me to this file"
>
> Can you expand on this in more detail? I am not sure what you mean
>
> Also, probably not relevant, but worth mentioning. Do you have any
> blackhole ACL's on those authoritative servers which could be blocking
> askimet from resolving the domain?

Saw that I forgot to include the file and sent it out again
http://blog.akismet.com/akismet-hosting-faq/

Last change to the DNS was Thursday and if I have any "blackhole ACL's"
on the TLD's I do not know of them nor how to check for them.

Mike

Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 AM
Larry Brower

Mike Dwiggins wrote:

> Saw that I forgot to include the file and sent it out again
> http://blog.akismet.com/akismet-hosting-faq/
>
> Last change to the DNS was Thursday and if I have any "blackhole ACL's"
> on the TLD's I do not know of them nor how to check for them.
>
> Mike

The ACL's would be in /etc/named.conf

You might also be blocking their IP's in iptables.

You can check with

iptables -nL|grep -E "72.233.69.3|72.233.69.2|66.135.58.62|66.135.58.61 "

This assumes of course that you aren't blocking something like
2.233.69.0/24 so you might want to also check that you dont have
something like 72.233.69 in the iptables output. Is this a stock install
or are you running anything like say APF or CSF as a firewall script ?

Are you able to reach the IP's they provided?
Do you have any other sites on the server which they are able to reach
fine?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:09 AM
Larry Brower

Mike Dwiggins wrote:

> Saw that I forgot to include the file and sent it out again
> http://blog.akismet.com/akismet-hosting-faq/
>
> Last change to the DNS was Thursday and if I have any "blackhole ACL's"
> on the TLD's I do not know of them nor how to check for them.
>
> Mike

I forgot to mention, make sure you are able to look up their domain also
using host and dig

Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Mike Dwiggins

Larry Brower wrote:
> Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>

>> Saw that I forgot to include the file and sent it out again
>> http://blog.akismet.com/akismet-hosting-faq/
>>
>> Last change to the DNS was Thursday and if I have any "blackhole ACL's"
>> on the TLD's I do not know of them nor how to check for them.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I forgot to mention, make sure you are able to look up their domain also
> using host and dig

Yep, I can ping them, dig them and host them. This is a box stock
install using straight BIND and defaults all around. Am I looking at a
PHP problem?

Mike

Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Larry Brower

Mike Dwiggins wrote:

> Yep, I can ping them, dig them and host them. This is a box stock
> install using straight BIND and defaults all around. Am I looking at a
> PHP problem?
>
> Mike

That is always a possibility. Is there anything in the Apache error_log?
You might trying strace'ing the process as you load the page and see if
there is an error message.

Example:

while true; do declare CHK=$(ps aufx|grep USER-SITE-RUNS-UNDER|grep
-v grep |awk '{print $2}'); if [ ! -z "${CHK}" ]; then strace -ffv -s
256 -p ${CHK};break; fi; done;

Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Larry Brower

Mike Dwiggins wrote:

> Yep, I can ping them, dig them and host them. This is a box stock
> install using straight BIND and defaults all around. Am I looking at a
> PHP problem?
>
> Mike

Mike

Did you ever get this figured out ?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Mike Dwiggins

Larry Brower wrote:
> Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>

>> Yep, I can ping them, dig them and host them. This is a box stock
>> install using straight BIND and defaults all around. Am I looking at a
>> PHP problem?
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Mike
>
> Did you ever get this figured out ?

Just got it about 10 min ago. I uninstalled WordPress and httpd.
Cleaned the system and then reinstalled both. Now it works!

I have no idea what it was (no error reports in any log) but, the tried
and true shotgun approach worked.

Mike