FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-08-2010, 01:36 AM
CAS
 
Default Fedora 12 problem with USB serial device

I am using an FTDI232RL usb-to-serial converter for a serial port on my
laptop running Fedora 12.* For some reason, this is recognized, but
I am unable to communicate with the device.* When I plug in the
device on my desktop running Fedora 9 it works fine (I do need to add
myself to a different group to have access to the usb port however (uucp
vs dialout).* Here are the responses to the various commands showing
that it set up properly:


[Myuser@Mycomputer ~]$* dmesg

usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2

usb 2-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6001

usb 2-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

usb 2-3: Product: FT232R USB UART

usb 2-3: Manufacturer: FTDI

usb 2-3: SerialNumber: A5001tpg

usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial

USB Serial support registered for generic

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic

usbserial: USB Serial Driver core

USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device

ftdi_sio 2-3:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected

usb 2-3: Detected FT232RL

usb 2-3: Number of endpoints 2


[Myuser@Mycomputer ~]$ lsusb

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International,
Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub


[Myuser@Mycomputer ~]$ ls -al /dev/ttyUSB0

crw-rw----. 1 root dialout 188, 0 2010-02-07 17:24 /dev/ttyUSB0


I am very perplexed as this is exactly the same output I see on
the Fedora9 machine except the group is uucp instead of dialout.* I
can reconfigure the port with the stty command, but nothing runs through
the port.* I have also tried this both with selinux enabled and
disabled and there is no differnce in the behavior.* Any
suggestions?


Thanks,

-CAS

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Alan Cox
 
Default Fedora 12 problem with USB serial device

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:36:44 -0500
CAS <radio4pm@covad.net> wrote:

> I am using an FTDI232RL usb-to-serial converter for a serial port on
> my laptop running Fedora 12. For some reason, this is recognized,
> but I am unable to communicate with the device. When I plug in the
> device on my desktop running Fedora 9 it works fine (I do need to add
> myself to a different group to have access to the usb port however
> (uucp vs dialout). Here are the responses to the various commands
> showing that it set up properly:

The drivers for the two versions are pretty different. One thing that is
worth checking is that the newer USB serial driver versions properly
honour carrier handling and the like.

Alan
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
CAS
 
Default Fedora 12 problem with USB serial device

At 05:50 2/8/2010, you wrote:
>On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:36:44 -0500
>CAS <radio4pm@covad.net> wrote:
>
> > I am using an FTDI232RL usb-to-serial converter for a serial port on
> > my laptop running Fedora 12. For some reason, this is recognized,
> > but I am unable to communicate with the device. When I plug in the
> > device on my desktop running Fedora 9 it works fine (I do need to add
> > myself to a different group to have access to the usb port however
> > (uucp vs dialout). Here are the responses to the various commands
> > showing that it set up properly:
>
>The drivers for the two versions are pretty different. One thing that is
>worth checking is that the newer USB serial driver versions properly
>honour carrier handling and the like.
>
>Alan

Sine I am using the "default" driver that comes with F12, I am not
sure how to do this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-CAS

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Alan Cox
 
Default Fedora 12 problem with USB serial device

> Sine I am using the "default" driver that comes with F12, I am not
> sure how to do this.
>
> Any suggestions?

I've not used uucp for years so can't realy help there.

Does minicom talk to the modem ok on that port ?

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org