-   -   ATI graphics mobility 5830 - does it work? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/321947-ati-graphics-mobility-5830-does-work.html)

Mail Llists 02-07-2010 12:03 AM

ATI graphics mobility 5830 - does it work?

Can anyone tell me if the ATI mobility HD 5830 will work in fedora 12
- 2-D is sufficient - its on an HP laptop that look sinteresting but
I've only used nvidia till now.

So looking for any info on whether this will work in fedora

Thanks kindly for any help.

gene/

Kevin Kofler 02-07-2010 05:57 PM

Mail Llists wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if the ATI mobility HD 5830 will work in fedora 12
> - 2-D is sufficient - its on an HP laptop that look sinteresting but
> I've only used nvidia till now.
>
> So looking for any info on whether this will work in fedora

Well, it should work with the generic unaccelerated vesa driver…

Kevin Kofler

Marko Vojinovic 02-07-2010 09:33 PM

On Sunday 07 February 2010 18:57:27 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mail Llists wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me if the ATI mobility HD 5830 will work in fedora 12
> > - 2-D is sufficient - its on an HP laptop that look sinteresting but
> > I've only used nvidia till now.
> >
> > So looking for any info on whether this will work in fedora
>
> Well, it should work with the generic unaccelerated vesa driver…

Feel free to test the vesa driver on whatever is your current hardware, to get
a feel of what it can/cannot do. Create the xorg.conf file if you don't already
have one, change the default driver from whatever it is to "vesa" and reboot.
If it satisfies all your needs, than my guess that this ATI card will perform
as good as any other. The vesa driver performs pretty much the same on any
hardware, so you can know in advance what to expect from it.

AFAIK, you can expect the following:

* 3D acceleration will not work (googleearth, compiz, games and similar stuff).
* 2D acceleration will also not work. If you are lucky, the processor will be
fast enough to take the load for, say, mplayer or vlc to play movies in
fullscreen without glitches.
* No dual head support.
* No widescreen support --- vesa can deliver only standard resolutions like
800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024, whereas I believe all modern laptops have
widescreen displays nowdays --- so the picture will probably be "stretched".
* Plymouth, ie. the graphical boot will not work (though maybe with some
kernel switches it can be tweaked, I'm not sure).

If the salesman allows you, boot the laptop with a Fedora Live CD. You should
make sure to test the vesa driver against any and every application you might
use, just to be sure you don't actually need any 2D or 3D acceleration.

As far as I know, your options seem to be the following:

* you can buy the laptop and live with such graphics for at least a year or so
(my wild guess), until ATI releases the specs for the card and the radeonhd
developers implement a working driver.
* you can give up Fedora and install some other distribution which has an
older version of X, and use closed source Catalyst drivers.
* you can check the technical specs of the laptop to see if the graphics card
is removable so you can replace it with some older/different model that works.
* you can choose not to buy that laptop.

Btw, if you are familiar with Windows, imagine that upon default install it
doesn't recognize the video card model, and you have no drivers to provide it.
The display _will_ work, but surely not performing as you might expect (16-
color 800x600 springs to mind) --- it would look as if you're running Windows
in safe mode, for example. Fedora's vesa driver can do a better resolution and
maybe more colors, but that's about it.

HTH, :-)
Marko

Mail Lists 02-07-2010 09:51 PM

On 02/07/2010 05:33 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday 07 February 2010 18:57:27 Kevin Kofler wrote:

Thank you both for your thoughts - however I'd need this to run in
more modern 1920 x 1080 mode .. so sounds like vesa is not use.

gene/

Mail Lists 02-08-2010 02:26 AM

On 02/07/2010 05:51 PM, Mail Lists wrote:
> On 02/07/2010 05:33 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

What about the rpmfusion packed ATI drivers - do they work I wonder ?

Marko Vojinovic 02-08-2010 03:09 AM

On Monday 08 February 2010 03:26:27 Mail Lists wrote:
> What about the rpmfusion packed ATI drivers - do they work I wonder ?

There are no ATI drivers in rpmfusion, AFAIK. The ATI's closed source Catalyst
(formerly called fglrx) drivers reportedly do not work with current version of
X. Since the time of Fedora 11 (or was it 10?) there haven't been any in the
repos.

You can try downloading the Catalyst driver from the official AMD website, and
installing/compiling the drivers yourself. But their absence of a precompiled
package in rpmfusion suggests that you are bound to run into nontrivial
problems.

I wouldn't know the exact nature of the problems, though. Maybe someone else
can provide more detailed information on this?

Best, :-)
Marko

Suvayu Ali 02-08-2010 05:22 AM

On Sunday 07 February 2010 08:09 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Monday 08 February 2010 03:26:27 Mail Lists wrote:
>> What about the rpmfusion packed ATI drivers - do they work I wonder ?
>
> There are no ATI drivers in rpmfusion, AFAIK. The ATI's closed source Catalyst
> (formerly called fglrx) drivers reportedly do not work with current version of
> X. Since the time of Fedora 11 (or was it 10?) there haven't been any in the
> repos.

That is incorrect. There is catalyst/fglrx support for Fedora versions
_up to_ Fedora 11. *Only* Fedora 12 is not supported by the proprietary
drivers because the Xorg version is incompatible.

Given the nature of the chipset, I would suggest the OP to run F11, and
wait for F13. I was in a similar position (I own an RV770) earlier last
year with F10, but the progress of the radeon drivers have been fast
enough to catch up with the latest chipsets in one release cycle. So I
was able to have near complete 3D support before the F11 release date.

> Best, :-)
> Marko

GL
--
Suvayu

Kevin Kofler 02-08-2010 06:31 AM

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> * No widescreen support --- vesa can deliver only standard resolutions
> like 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024, whereas I believe all modern laptops
> have widescreen displays nowdays --- so the picture will probably be
> "stretched".

This depends on the hardware. Some hardware has nonstandard VESA modes for
widescreen resolutions, some doesn't. It's hard to tell in advance whether
that laptop will have them or not.

Kevin Kofler

Kevin Kofler 02-08-2010 06:36 AM

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> * you can buy the laptop and live with such graphics for at least a year
> or so (my wild guess), until ATI releases the specs for the card and the
> radeonhd developers implement a working driver.

FYI, a first 2D-only (and I think XRender acceleration, i.e. 2D
acceleration, is also not ready yet) UMS-only (userspace mode setting, no
kernel mode setting) driver for the HD 5xxx (r8xx) series has been released
to the community by ATI recently. (It seems they're now adopting the Intel
model where they release driver source code before specs because it's faster
for them to code the software than to clean up their specs.) 2D and 3D
acceleration and kernel modesetting (KMS) are presumably coming soon, though
no date has been given as far as I know.

Kevin Kofler