FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Paolo Galtieri
 
Default Nautilus file operations problem

I tried to copy a file from my hard disk to a USB flash drive using drag and drop and the nautilus file manager.* When I did this a file operations window popped up showing progress of the copy.* It stopped at 245.5Mb of 278.6Mb, however, when you look at the destination file it is in fact all there.* Doing an md5sum of the source file and the destination file shows them to be the same.* I removed the destination file and tried the copy again, and this time it stopped at 246.5Mb of 278.6Mb.* If I try to unmount the USB drive it fails with volume is busy, even though the file has been copied over completely.* If I try to force the unmount it fails with volume busy.* Eventually (after about 5 minutes) it seems to finally recognize that the copy is complete and allows me to unmount the drive.* If the file has completed copying why does the nautilus file operation popup take a long time before it goes away?


No matter how many times I do the copy the nautilus file operation popup takes several minutes to report completion.

I'm running F12 with all the latest updates.

Paolo

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Robert Nichols
 
Default Nautilus file operations problem

Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> I tried to copy a file from my hard disk to a USB flash drive using drag
> and drop and the nautilus file manager. When I did this a file
> operations window popped up showing progress of the copy. It stopped at
> 245.5Mb of 278.6Mb, however, when you look at the destination file it is
> in fact all there. Doing an md5sum of the source file and the
> destination file shows them to be the same. I removed the destination
> file and tried the copy again, and this time it stopped at 246.5Mb of
> 278.6Mb. If I try to unmount the USB drive it fails with volume is
> busy, even though the file has been copied over completely. If I try to
> force the unmount it fails with volume busy. Eventually (after about 5
> minutes) it seems to finally recognize that the copy is complete and
> allows me to unmount the drive. If the file has completed copying why
> does the nautilus file operation popup take a long time before it goes away?
>
> No matter how many times I do the copy the nautilus file operation popup
> takes several minutes to report completion.
>
> I'm running F12 with all the latest updates.

Nautilus is waiting for fsync() to return, indicating that the data has
actually been written to the device. Unmounting is similarly waiting for
the writes to complete. When you think you are looking at the file on
the device, all you are really seeing is the data in the kernel's buffer
cache. Writes to USB drives max out at around 30MB/s, so you should
expect it to take 9 minutes or more to transfer that 278MB file.

--
Bob Nichols "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
Do NOT delete it.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Robert Nichols
 
Default Nautilus file operations problem

Robert Nichols wrote:
> Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>> I tried to copy a file from my hard disk to a USB flash drive using drag
>> and drop and the nautilus file manager. When I did this a file
>> operations window popped up showing progress of the copy. It stopped at
>> 245.5Mb of 278.6Mb, however, when you look at the destination file it is
>> in fact all there. Doing an md5sum of the source file and the
>> destination file shows them to be the same. I removed the destination
>> file and tried the copy again, and this time it stopped at 246.5Mb of
>> 278.6Mb. If I try to unmount the USB drive it fails with volume is
>> busy, even though the file has been copied over completely. If I try to
>> force the unmount it fails with volume busy. Eventually (after about 5
>> minutes) it seems to finally recognize that the copy is complete and
>> allows me to unmount the drive. If the file has completed copying why
>> does the nautilus file operation popup take a long time before it goes away?
>>
>> No matter how many times I do the copy the nautilus file operation popup
>> takes several minutes to report completion.
>>
>> I'm running F12 with all the latest updates.
>
> Nautilus is waiting for fsync() to return, indicating that the data has
> actually been written to the device. Unmounting is similarly waiting for
> the writes to complete. When you think you are looking at the file on
> the device, all you are really seeing is the data in the kernel's buffer
> cache. Writes to USB drives max out at around 30MB/s, so you should
> expect it to take 9 minutes or more to transfer that 278MB file.

That calculation, of course, makes no sense. At 30MB/s a 278MB transfer
would take 9.2 _seconds_, not 9 minutes. However, USB flash drives do not
achieve anywhere near 30MB/s for writes. Five or 6 minutes is a quite
likely time for a 278MB transfer to most commonly available flash drives.

--
Bob Nichols "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
Do NOT delete it.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Paolo Galtieri
 
Default Nautilus file operations problem

On 02/06/2010 06:28 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> Robert Nichols wrote:
>
>> Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to copy a file from my hard disk to a USB flash drive using drag
>>> and drop and the nautilus file manager. When I did this a file
>>> operations window popped up showing progress of the copy. It stopped at
>>> 245.5Mb of 278.6Mb, however, when you look at the destination file it is
>>> in fact all there. Doing an md5sum of the source file and the
>>> destination file shows them to be the same. I removed the destination
>>> file and tried the copy again, and this time it stopped at 246.5Mb of
>>> 278.6Mb. If I try to unmount the USB drive it fails with volume is
>>> busy, even though the file has been copied over completely. If I try to
>>> force the unmount it fails with volume busy. Eventually (after about 5
>>> minutes) it seems to finally recognize that the copy is complete and
>>> allows me to unmount the drive. If the file has completed copying why
>>> does the nautilus file operation popup take a long time before it goes away?
>>>
>>> No matter how many times I do the copy the nautilus file operation popup
>>> takes several minutes to report completion.
>>>
>>> I'm running F12 with all the latest updates.
>>>
>> Nautilus is waiting for fsync() to return, indicating that the data has
>> actually been written to the device. Unmounting is similarly waiting for
>> the writes to complete. When you think you are looking at the file on
>> the device, all you are really seeing is the data in the kernel's buffer
>> cache. Writes to USB drives max out at around 30MB/s, so you should
>> expect it to take 9 minutes or more to transfer that 278MB file.
>>
> That calculation, of course, makes no sense. At 30MB/s a 278MB transfer
> would take 9.2 _seconds_, not 9 minutes. However, USB flash drives do not
> achieve anywhere near 30MB/s for writes. Five or 6 minutes is a quite
> likely time for a 278MB transfer to most commonly available flash drives.
>
>
what's interesting is that the first 240+Mb take seconds. it's the last
30Mb that seem to take forever, i.e. the progress bar displays the first
240+Mb almost immediately and then it stops. I would expect the write
itself should take seconds, but the sync to the drive, which doesn't
occur until you eject the drive, should take more time.

Paolo
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 
Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Mikkel
 
Default Nautilus file operations problem

On 02/06/2010 07:46 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> what's interesting is that the first 240+Mb take seconds. it's the last
> 30Mb that seem to take forever, i.e. the progress bar displays the first
> 240+Mb almost immediately and then it stops. I would expect the write
> itself should take seconds, but the sync to the drive, which doesn't
> occur until you eject the drive, should take more time.
>
The first rush is probably filling the write buffer. Then it has to
write the buffer, before filling it again. Because the drive is
mounted with the flush option, the filesystem will try to flush to
disk more early than normal.

One other thing - the sync to disk will usually occur before you
eject the drive. It will occur when ever the write buffer allocated
to the drive is full, or when the drive is otherwise idle. I believe
there is also a time limit that data can stay in the write buffer
before it has to be written to disk. (I can not remember all the
tuning parameters right now...)

Mikkel
--

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/MailingListGuidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org