Old 02-06-2010, 06:52 PM
William Case

Default I never have gotten readline & .inputrc working properly.

Hi;

I have spent hours on this over the last couple of years. I am
obviously doing something fundamentally wrong -- but I can't figure out
what it is. I have gone over bash/readline several times as well as
googled. I am sure I am missing something basic.

Here is my file:

# Bill's inputrc for ReadLine

# '$include' directs readline to the file
# with 'universal' settings.
# Place 'export /etc/inputrc' in .bash_profile

$include /etc/inputrc

$if mode=emacs

"C-xC-r": re-read-init-file
Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word
"M-C-b": backward-word
"M-C-f": forward-word

$endif

I have tried M & C with and without the escape. Nothing seems to work.
'Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word' seems to work unless the binding is
coming from some other file. None of the other bindings work in either
gterminal or vtX. $VISUAL = emacs.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28

Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 14:52 -0500, William Case wrote:
> I have spent hours on this over the last couple of years. I am
> obviously doing something fundamentally wrong -- but I can't figure out
> what it is. I have gone over bash/readline several times as well as
> googled. I am sure I am missing something basic.
>
> Here is my file:
>
> # Bill's inputrc for ReadLine
>
> # '$include' directs readline to the file
> # with 'universal' settings.
> # Place 'export /etc/inputrc' in .bash_profile
>
> $include /etc/inputrc
>
> $if mode=emacs
>
> "C-xC-r": re-read-init-file
> Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word
> "M-C-b": backward-word
> "M-C-f": forward-word
>
> $endif
>
> I have tried M & C with and without the escape. Nothing seems to work.
> 'Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word' seems to work unless the binding is
> coming from some other file. None of the other bindings work in either
> gterminal or vtX. $VISUAL = emacs.

Not really sure what's up here (not tried your file) but getting
readline bindings to play nicely can be tricky as there can be conflicts
with existing bindings (I've found in the past I needed to disable some
things to get others working etc.).

I think your M-Rubout binding isn't coming from this file - it's default
iirc - I see this in my C-h output:

backward-kill-word can be found on "eC-h", "eC-?".

This is working fine for me:

$ cat ~/.inputrc
$include /etc/inputrc
# this shadows transpose-chars in the default emacs mode
# works around the default C-s being shadowed by linux's
# C-s scroll-lock behaviour
set bell-style visible
set editing-mode emacs
set visible-stats On
set show-all-if-ambiguous On
C-t: forward-search-history
C-f: 'realias
'
C-h: dump-functions
"C-xC-r": re-read-init-file

All of these seem to do what they say on the tin - I know the last one
works since if I comment/uncomment the realias line and issue CxCr it
toggles on/off.

I prefer to use the default M-f and M-b forward/back keys (even though
they are shadowed by the default gnome-terminal shortcuts - I kill those
off as soon as I move into a new account).

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:35 PM
William Case

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 11:53 +0000, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 14:52 -0500, William Case wrote:
> > I have spent hours on this over the last couple of years. I am
> > obviously doing something fundamentally wrong -- but I can't figure out
> > what it is. I have gone over bash/readline several times as well as
> > googled. I am sure I am missing something basic.
> >
> > Here is my file:
> >
> > # Bill's inputrc for ReadLine
> >
> > # '$include' directs readline to the file
> > # with 'universal' settings.
> > # Place 'export /etc/inputrc' in .bash_profile
> >
> > $include /etc/inputrc
> >
> > $if mode=emacs
> >
> > "C-xC-r": re-read-init-file
> > Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word
> > "M-C-b": backward-word
> > "M-C-f": forward-word
> >
> > $endif
> >
> > I have tried M & C with and without the escape. Nothing seems to work.
> > 'Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word' seems to work unless the binding is
> > coming from some other file. None of the other bindings work in either
> > gterminal or vtX. $VISUAL = emacs.
>
> Not really sure what's up here (not tried your file) but getting
> readline bindings to play nicely can be tricky as there can be conflicts
> with existing bindings (I've found in the past I needed to disable some
> things to get others working etc.).

I have checked and there are no conflicts with M-C-b and M-C-f

> I think your M-Rubout binding isn't coming from this file - it's default
> iirc - I see this in my C-h output:
>
> backward-kill-word can be found on "eC-h", "eC-?".

I can find it there as well (well eC-f and eC-b) and it works.
However, I find the eC- key combination a bit of a finger reach and I
use forward-word and backward-word a lot so I wanted to add a key
modifier combination that was easier.

'
> C-h: dump-functions
> "C-xC-r": re-read-init-file
>
> All of these seem to do what they say on the tin - I know the last one
> works since if I comment/uncomment the realias line and issue CxCr it
> toggles on/off.
>
> I prefer to use the default M-f and M-b forward/back keys (even though
> they are shadowed by the default gnome-terminal shortcuts - I kill those
> off as soon as I move into a new account).

When I look at the bind command, M-C-b and M-C-f show up as "202"
and "206" respectfully. What are 202 and 206?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28