Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default livecd-creator failing on F11

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:29:20 -0800,
Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> This list goes on quite a bit. My disk has plenty of space (50 gigs)
> so that's not the problem. Any ideas what this could be?

Are you sure that space is available on the file system with the /var
directory?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Suvayu Ali

Hi Fedorans,

I was trying to build my own 64 bit F12 XFCE LiveCD on my 64 bit F11
machine. I used the kickstarts from spin-kickstarts as my starting
point. All I did was remove some packages and add some of my own.

When I try building it like this is,

> $ setenforce 0
> $ sudo livecd-creator -c fedora-livecd-xfce.ks -f Fedora-12-Live-XFCE --cache=/var/cache/live 2> err.log
>
> Filesystem label=Fedora-12-Live-X
> OS type: Linux
> Block size=4096 (log=2)
> Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
> 196608 inodes, 786432 blocks
> 7864 blocks (1.00%) reserved for the super user
> First data block=0
> Maximum filesystem blocks=805306368
> 24 block groups
> 32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
> 8192 inodes per group
> Superblock backups stored on blocks:
> 32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912
>
> Writing inode tables: done
> Creating journal (16384 blocks): done
> Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
>
> This filesystem will be automatically checked every 34 mounts or
> 180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
> tune2fs 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
> Setting maximal mount count to -1
> Setting interval between checks to 0 seconds
> filespec_eval: hash table stats: 12 elements, 12/65536 buckets used, longest chain length 1
> Retrieving http://fedora.mirror.iweb.ca/releases/12/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/repomd.xml ...OK
> Retrieving http://fedora.mirror.iweb.ca/updates/12/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml ...OK

The error says this,

> mke2fs 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/imgcreate/errors.py:45:
> DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of
> Python 2.6
> return unicode(self.message)
> Error creating Live CD : Unable to install: [('installing package
> ibus-pinyin-1.2.0.20090915-1.fc12.noarch needs 25MB on the
> /var/tmp/imgcreate-NHMZgo/install_root filesystem', (9,
> '/var/tmp/imgcreate-NHMZgo/install_root', 25546752L)), (...), ...]

This list goes on quite a bit. My disk has plenty of space (50 gigs)
so that's not the problem. Any ideas what this could be?

TIA
--
Suvayu

Old 02-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Suvayu Ali

Apologies, my earlier reply didn't go to the list.

On Saturday 06 February 2010 11:28 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:29:20 -0800,
> Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This list goes on quite a bit. My disk has plenty of space (50 gigs)
>> so that's not the problem. Any ideas what this could be?
>
> Are you sure that space is available on the file system with the /var
> directory?

I am almost 100% sure about that,

$ df -h
/dev/mapper/vg_bhishma-lv_root
99G 48G 50G 50% /
/dev/sda2 194M 58M 127M 32% /boot
/dev/mapper/vg_bhishma-LogVol02
715G 515G 164G 76% /home
tmpfs 2.0G 8.7M 2.0G 1% /dev/shm

$ sudo lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/vg_bhishma/lv_root
VG Name vg_bhishma
LV UUID zlpJgt-B81e-YRZh-tS5o-lT9r-xmco-fO3cnX
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 100.00 GB
Current LE 25600
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:0

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/vg_bhishma/LogVol02
VG Name vg_bhishma
LV UUID gJsZZZ-H8LE-oR5V-iWSA-Pkw8-x4rD-dKKAv9
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 725.52 GB
Current LE 185733
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:2

Could I still be having disk space problems given the above information?
I am running the livecd-creator in my home, does that make any
difference? Although that shouldn't pose a problem as you can see above,
I have over hundred gigs of free space in my /home.

--
Suvayu

Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 13:40:50 -0800,
Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could I still be having disk space problems given the above information?
> I am running the livecd-creator in my home, does that make any
> difference? Although that shouldn't pose a problem as you can see above,
> I have over hundred gigs of free space in my /home.

As I suggested in the private reply, the disk space in the file systems
looks good, but you might be running out of space on the image. You may
need to include a part command in the kickstart that reserves a larger size.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Saturday 06 February 2010 01:47 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 13:40:50 -0800,
> Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Could I still be having disk space problems given the above information?
>> I am running the livecd-creator in my home, does that make any
>> difference? Although that shouldn't pose a problem as you can see above,
>> I have over hundred gigs of free space in my /home.
>
> As I suggested in the private reply, the disk space in the file systems
> looks good, but you might be running out of space on the image. You may
> need to include a part command in the kickstart that reserves a larger size.

Thank you Bruno, my email client seems to be acting a bit weird. Hence
all the confusion.

I have received your private reply, and have edited the kickstart file
to reserve 3.5 gigs. It starts building but fails during the post
installation scripts with this error,

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/var/tmp/imgcreate-DBVzFU/install_root/boot/initrd-2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.x86_64.img'

I suspect my increased size in the part command wasn't enough. I think
I'll give up on the idea of having OOo on the live image, and try again.
with a smaller set of packages. I 'll post back if I run into problems.

--
Suvayu

Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 14:04:55 -0800,
Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/var/tmp/imgcreate-DBVzFU/install_root/boot/initrd-2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.x86_64.img'
>
> I suspect my increased size in the part command wasn't enough. I think
> I'll give up on the idea of having OOo on the live image, and try again.
> with a smaller set of packages. I 'll post back if I run into problems.

That may be related to the switch from mkinitrd to dracut. I have been
able to build live images on f12, but haven't for a few weeks. (I mostly
do this in rawhide now.) So that may not be the answer, but you might want
to check. Are you doing the image build on f11 and not f12?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Saturday 06 February 2010 03:47 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 14:04:55 -0800,
> Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
>> '/var/tmp/imgcreate-DBVzFU/install_root/boot/initrd-2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.x86_64.img'
>>
>> I suspect my increased size in the part command wasn't enough. I think
>> I'll give up on the idea of having OOo on the live image, and try again.
>> with a smaller set of packages. I 'll post back if I run into problems.
>
> That may be related to the switch from mkinitrd to dracut. I have been
> able to build live images on f12, but haven't for a few weeks. (I mostly
> do this in rawhide now.) So that may not be the answer, but you might want
> to check. Are you doing the image build on f11 and not f12?

Yes I'm doing this on F11.

I also found something which could be an alternate explanation. When I
look in /var/tmp/, I see the folder mentioned above doesn't
exist. Instead there is another folder of a similar name,
/var/tmp/imgcreate-yvpmqw. I have a hunch this could be a leftover
from the first time the build failed.

On doing `mount -l' I see that the install_root under that is still
mounted. Trying to umount complains the device is busy. I could try to
reboot and build again ... :-

I will post back whether I succeed after a reboot.

--
Suvayu

Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 16:07:59 -0800,
Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I'm doing this on F11.

In general building images for a different version of Fedora isn't going to
work unless you use mock. I haven't done that yet and am not able to give
you exact instructions, but that's probably where you need to go if you
want to do cross version builds of live images.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Saturday 06 February 2010 04:34 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 16:07:59 -0800,
> Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes I'm doing this on F11.
>
> In general building images for a different version of Fedora isn't going to
> work unless you use mock. I haven't done that yet and am not able to give
> you exact instructions, but that's probably where you need to go if you
> want to do cross version builds of live images.

I will try to find more about how to use mock here. Thanks for all the
help so far.

--
Suvayu

Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Saturday 06 February 2010 04:51 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Saturday 06 February 2010 04:34 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 16:07:59 -0800,
>> Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes I'm doing this on F11.
>>
>> In general building images for a different version of Fedora isn't
>> going to
>> work unless you use mock. I haven't done that yet and am not able to give
>> you exact instructions, but that's probably where you need to go if you
>> want to do cross version builds of live images.
>
> I will try to find more about how to use mock here. Thanks for all the
> help so far.

I couldn't figure out how to use mock to build the Live image. All the
documentation I could find seemed related to building srpms. I had a
minimal F12 VM lying around, increased the partition size on that and
built the live image without problems.

Time to test the radeon drivers on my RV770 tomorrow.

--
Suvayu