Old 02-06-2010, 02:46 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

Default Wireless, RT2860, (driver available), and knetworkmanager, (Fedora 12)

Well I eventually got the combination to work reliably, but not without
a fair number of hurdles to jump. This was a configuration puzzle
involving the wireless router, knetworkmanager, and what settings to
use.So here are the key configuration points I found to work for my setup:

Use of mode 11g
Use of a fixed frequency channel
Use WPA security using AES encryption
Use of auto data rate
Use of ESSID broadcasting

Now for the quirks of knetworkmanager for setting up wireless:

Trying to set the BSSID always broke the config
The SSID always had to be selected via a scan for it to work
If the network is stopped it is effectively disabled

Now I like to use KDE as you've probably already guessed and wanted to
use networkmanager to simplify network management. This is now not as
scary as it may seem and both my laptop and my PC are configured this
way. As a result of this setup I've made sure that after logging in, no
network connection is made, but is easily done using the knetworkmanager
applet, whether it be wired or wireless.
Another bonus of using knetworkmanager was the ease with which I could
configure either my PC/Laptop network when needing to configure new
networked hardware, and then return back as required. This fact alone
makes trying changes in network configuration a whole lot easier than
they would have been.
So may I recommend you look at using networkmanager, using the Gnome or
KDE applet to do so, or the commandline interface if you're no fan of
using a GUI.

JB