Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Default Problem with a large partition

On 02/05/2010 04:42 PM, aragonx@dcsnow.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a 22TB partition that I would like to use. I am using a 64bit CPU
> and used parted to create a partition and to format it. It created an
> ext2 partition that I was in the process of converting to ext4. This is
> where I hit a snag. Here is the error I got:

*cough* *cough* Disclaimer: I don't have even 1TB in my largest system.

> # e2fsck -fDC0 /dev/sdb1
> e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
> Error determining size of the physical device: File too large

Looks like your partition is too large for an ext2 filesystem.

>From Wikipedia:

> Limits
> Max file size 16 GiB - 64 TiB
> Max number of files 1018
> Max filename length 255 characters
> Max volume size 2-32 TiB

Note the ranges in the max sizes. If you chose the wrong information
when you configured (made) the partition initially, 22TB could be too
big. Of course, the man page for mkfs.ext2 claims that if all you
specified on the mkfs command line was the partition size, it should
have chosen (heuristically) the proper configuration in the first place.

Why didn't you create the partition as an ext4 partition in the first
place? (Apologies if this partition was already in use when you decided
to convert it....)

> Moving forward, I'm going to have to have e2fsck. fsck appears to be
> provided by util-linux-ng.i686. Shouldn't that be a 64bit version?

which fsck (what is its path?) AFAIK, fsck is just a wrapper package
that calls the appropriate helper application once it determines the
target's fstype.

On my system (F11), /sbin/fsck is provided by e2fsprogs.x86_64

I do have util-linux-nq.x86_64 installed, but the only fsck support in
it is /sbin/fsck.cramfs.

> Here is some system information:
>
> uname -a
> Linux ftp.temp.org 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Sat Nov 7 21:41:45 EST
> 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Looks like your are only running a 32 Linux on your 64 bit CPU. To that
end, you will only have 32 bit applications available to you.
That doesn't mean you are limited in your choice of partition sizes,
since the 32 bit software will still do the right thing to do the 64 bit
arithmetic for you.

> parted -l
> Disk /dev/sdb: 22.0TB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: gpt
>
> Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
> 1 17.4kB 22.0TB 22.0TB ext4 primary
>
> As always, any help would be appreciated.

I hope this has been helpful....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 PM

> Later on in your message, you have the following:
> uname -a
> Linux ftp.temp.org 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Sat Nov 7 21:41:45 EST
> 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> It APPEARS that you are not running the 64bit version of Fedora.

ACK! Stupid server tricked me. It did not have a DVD drive so I couldn't
use my usual Fedora 12 DVD which is X64. I downloaded the live CD and
assumed that it was 64bit. :/ Thank you for pointing that out. Time for
a reinstall.

---
Will Y.

believed to be clean.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Kevin Kofler

aragonx@dcsnow.com wrote:
> ACK! Stupid server tricked me. It did not have a DVD drive so I couldn't
> use my usual Fedora 12 DVD which is X64. I downloaded the live CD and
> assumed that it was 64bit. :/ Thank you for pointing that out. Time for
> a reinstall.

Both the DVD and the live CDs are available in both 32 and 64-bit versions.
Unfortunately, the default download is the 32-bit version and it only says
that in fine print. :-( (IMHO, 64-bit should be the default, people should
try the 64-bit version first, chances are it'll work, and if not it should
just tell them to fetch the legacy version.)

Kevin Kofler