Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Richard Cahilig

Default Error installing any program using yum

Hi,

I have problem in my newly installed fedora 12. I got this error every time I tried to install anything via yum:

[root@localhost User]# yum update
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

Below is the contents of my /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo
*
[root@localhost User]# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo

[fedora]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/

mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
metadata_expire=7d

gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

[fedora-debuginfo]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Debug
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/debug/

mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-debug-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0

metadata_expire=7d
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

[fedora-source]
name=Fedora $releasever - Source
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/source/SRPMS/

mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-source-$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0

metadata_expire=7d
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch
And the contents of my /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo

[root@localhost User]# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
[updates]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/

mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch

enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

[updates-debuginfo]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates - Debug
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/debug/

mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-debug-f$releasever&arch=$basearch

enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

[updates-source]
name=Fedora $releasever - Updates Source
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/SRPMS/

mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-source-f$releasever&arch=$basearch

enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

I already tried some tips found by searching in google but still no luck. I tried* to uncomment the #baseurl= entries in the files above and add these

80.239.156.215 mirrors.fedoraproject.org

213.129.242.84 mirrors.rpmfusion.orgin my /etc/hosts but it still not working.

I even tried these commands:

yum clean all
yum makecache

but still no luck. This is a fresh install of fedora 12, the internet is perfectly working but I right now I can't upgrade, I can't install anything. Please help. Looking forward to your assistance. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Richard R. Cahilig

Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Patrick Bartek

> I have problem in my newly installed fedora 12. I got this
> error every time I tried to install anything via yum:
>

> [root@localhost User]# yum update
> Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
> repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again
>

> Below is the contents of my /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo
>
> [snip]

Try turning off (or lowering its protection) SELinux. On my initial install of F12, I had to turn it off to update, and configure several things. Over the years SELinux has caused me so many problems, that I either don't install it, uninstall it or turn it off.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Richard Cahilig

Hi,

SE LInux has been disabled but I still have this problem.

Regards,

Richard R. Cahilig

http://www.cahilig.org
http://www.aklan-linux.org

Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Suvayu Ali

On Friday 05 February 2010 02:58 PM, Richard Cahilig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problem in my newly installed fedora 12. I got this error every time
> I tried to install anything via yum:

Are you behind a proxy? If so, you need to set `proxy <url>' in
/etc/yum.conf. See `man yum.conf'.

--
Suvayu

Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Richard Cahilig

Hi,

No, I'm not behind a proxy.

Regards,

Richard R. Cahilig

Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Frank Murphy

On 06/02/10 10:02, Richard Cahilig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No, I'm not behind a proxy.

--snip--

Have you ran "yum clean metadata"

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded

Old 02-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Richard Cahilig

Hi,

Yes, and I even ran the yum clean all command.

Regards,

Richard R. Cahilig

Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Ed Greshko

Richard Cahilig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, and I even ran the yum clean all command.
Should we assume that you are connecting to gmail from the system you
are trying to update?

Almost every time I've seen someone with the error you report in your
initial post it is due to either a network misconfiguration or a DNS
problem.

--
Rascal, am I? Take THAT! -- Errol Flynn

Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Richard Cahilig

Hi,

Yes, I'm connecting to gmail from this system that I'm trying to update. I even tried OpenDNS with I still have the same problem. I don't what is causing this problem.

Regards,

Richard R. Cahilig

Old 02-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Ed Greshko

Richard Cahilig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I'm connecting to gmail from this system that I'm trying to
> update. I even tried OpenDNS with I still have the same problem. I
> don't what is causing this problem.
I see....

So, if you put this URL in your browser it will attempt to download a
file called "metalink"?

--
At the end of your life there'll be a good rest, and no further
activities are scheduled.