Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 PM
"Steven P. Ulrick"

Default Problem with a large partition

> Hello all,
>
> I have a 22TB partition that I would like to use. I am using a 64bit CPU
> and used parted to create a partition and to format it. It created an
> ext2 partition that I was in the process of converting to ext4. This is
> where I hit a snag. Here is the error I got:
>
> # e2fsck -fDC0 /dev/sdb1
> e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
> Error determining size of the physical device: File too large
>
> Moving forward, I'm going to have to have e2fsck. fsck appears to be
> provided by util-linux-ng.i686. Shouldn't that be a 64bit version?

Later on in your message, you have the following:
uname -a
Linux ftp.temp.org 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Sat Nov 7 21:41:45 EST
2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

It APPEARS that you are not running the 64bit version of Fedora.

For comparison, here is "uname -a" from my Intel Xeon QuadCore (64bit)
system:
[steve@localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jan 18
19:52:07 UTC 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So, for you, the i686 version of e2fsck would seem to be the correct one.

BUT, e2fsck seems to be a part of the following package:

[steve@localhost ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /sbin/e2fsck
e2fsprogs-1.41.9-5.fc12.x86_64

/sbin/fsck IS a part of the package that you refer to above:

[steve@localhost ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /sbin/fsck
util-linux-ng-2.16.2-5.fc12.x86_64

Again, though, unless you install the 64bit version of Fedora, you will be
needing the i686 versions of these RPM's. I am basing my assumption that
you are running a 32bit version of Fedora from the fact that you are
running the i686 kernel. Beyond that, I am NOT an expert

Steven P. Ulrick

Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Richard Shaw

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM, <aragonx@dcsnow.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a 22TB partition that I would like to use. *I am using a 64bit CPU
> and used parted to create a partition and to format it. *It created an
> ext2 partition that I was in the process of converting to ext4. *This is
> where I hit a snag. *Here is the error I got:
>
> # e2fsck -fDC0 /dev/sdb1
> e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
> Error determining size of the physical device: File too large
>
> Moving forward, I'm going to have to have e2fsck. *fsck appears to be
> provided by util-linux-ng.i686. *Shouldn't that be a 64bit version?
>
> Here is some system information:
>
> uname -a
> Linux ftp.temp.org 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Sat Nov 7 21:41:45 EST
> 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Like Steven said, you may be using a 64 bit processor but your only
running a 32 bit operating system.

Richard