Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Gavin Simpson

Default How do I use the drupal installed via yum?

Dear List,

I'm looking to set-up a Drupal installation on a RHEL 5.4 server and
also on my Fedora box. I've installed drupal via yum and note that it
installs into /usr/share/drupal/ /etc/drupal/ . A look through what
was installed didn't yield any READMEs or Fedora/RHEL specific
instructions, so I'm not sure how to proceed and thought I'd ask
before blundering in...?

Anyone point me in the right direction of marrying up the
yum-installed drupal with my web root? Just to be clear, I don't need
help with Drupal. I think what I'm not grepping is how I access drupal
through the webroot.

TIA,

Gavin

Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 03:42:57PM +0000, Gavin Simpson wrote:
> Anyone point me in the right direction of marrying up the
> yum-installed drupal with my web root? Just to be clear, I don't need
> help with Drupal. I think what I'm not grepping is how I access drupal
> through the webroot.

I assume you're using Apache 2. Configure it in the "sites available"
directory. If you don't know where the package installed it, look at
the files provided via "rpm -qlp".

Cheers,
--
Dave Ihnat
dihnat@dminet.com

Old 02-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Gavin Simpson

Hi Dave,

Thanks. Yes, apache2. Not sure what you mean by the "sites available" directory.

There is a sites symbolic link to /etc/drupal in /usr/share/drupal.

I think my problem is that I have what looks like a drupal stack in
/usr/share/drupal which is the kind of thing one would download from
the drupal site and unpack in the web root. However, it is in
/usr/share/drupal and I don't want to be serving stuff from there -
wouldn;t have thought SELinux would allow it. So what do I have to
configure?

Cheers,

Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 05:01:18PM +0000, Gavin Simpson wrote:
> Thanks. Yes, apache2. Not sure what you mean by the "sites available" directory.

In stock Apache, configuration information is in /etc/apache2. Websites
are defined in httpd.conf fragments in a directory entitled
"sites-available"; sites that are used in the active configuration are
linked from files in sites-available in the directory "sites-enabled".
Sorry, right now I don't have a Fedora system up to check if they mucked
with the stock configuration.

If you're not totally comfortable working at this level, you can use
Webmin to configure your Apache site(s).

> There is a sites symbolic link to /etc/drupal in /usr/share/drupal.

Well, that's not stock Drupal configuration. In any case, you'd specify
the DocumentRoot in the configuration file in the sites-available file
for the Drupal site; that can be rooted anywhere, but (of course) you
want to make sure it's a clean directory tree (e.g., no links outside
that tree).

> I think my problem is that I have what looks like a drupal stack in
> /usr/share/drupal which is the kind of thing one would download from
> the drupal site and unpack in the web root.

The default Drupal directory should have the following:

CHANGELOG.txt
COPYRIGHT.txt
cron.php
includes
index.php
INSTALL.mysql.txt
INSTALL.pgsql.txt
install.php
INSTALL.txt
LICENSE.txt
MAINTAINERS.txt
misc [directory]
modules [directory]
profiles [directory]
robots.txt
scripts [directory]
sites [directory]
themes [directory]
update.php
UPGRADE.txt
xmlrpc.php

> However, it is in /usr/share/drupal and I don't want to be serving
> stuff from there - wouldn;t have thought SELinux would allow it. So
> what do I have to configure?

Well, you've a couple of choices. You could, of course, move the Drupal
directory, but then you're going to have fun in future RPM upgrades.

You could scrap using the distributed RPM and just get Drupal from
drupal.org. Probably what I'd do.

You could try running it, see how SELinux yelps, and configure it to
shut up; probably a "more correct" Fedora approach.

G'luck,
--
Dave Ihnat
dihnat@dminet.com

Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Steven Stern

Here's how I'd handle it

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.myserver.com
DocumentRoot /usr/share/drupal
</VirtualHost>

In /usr/share/drupal, move sites to /var/www and replace it (in the
drupal directory) with a soft link.

In /var/www/sites, create a folder writeable by apache called
www.myserver.com and copy the contents of default into it. SELinux
expects the server to write here and won't complain.

When you first configure the server, tell it that the site is in
sites/www.myserver.com. This will allow you to easily handle a
multi-site Drupal installation.

On my system, I get Drupal directly from the the drupal site, so I have
it set up differently

/var/www/
drupal-6.15
sites -> ../sites
drupal -> drupal-6.15
sites
all
themes
modules
www.sterndata.com
files

When a new release of drupal is available, I just download it into
/var/www, change sites to point to ../sites, and change the pointer for
drupal to the new release.

All Drupal sites on my system use the same DocumentRoot,
/var/www/drupal/drupal

hth

--
-- Steve

Old 02-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 5 February 2010 20:12, Dave Ihnat <dihnat@dminet.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 05:01:18PM +0000, Gavin Simpson wrote:
>> Thanks. Yes, apache2. Not sure what you mean by the "sites available" directory.
>
> In stock Apache, configuration information is in /etc/apache2. *Websites
> are defined in httpd.conf fragments in a directory entitled
> "sites-available"; sites that are used in the active configuration are
> linked from files in sites-available in the directory "sites-enabled".
> Sorry, right now I don't have a Fedora system up to check if they mucked
> with the stock configuration.

I think this is a problem - you are wrong on so many levels.

To quote from config.layout in a vanilla tarball of Apache 2.2.14:

# Classical Apache path layout.
<Layout Apache>
prefix: /usr/local/apache2
sysconfdir: ${prefix}/conf
</Layout>

Configuration is therefore in /usr/local/apache2/conf

Only in Debian, is it ever in /etc/apache2/conf:

<Layout Debian>
prefix:
sysconfdir: ${prefix}/etc/apache2
</Layout>

As far as I also know, sites-available is also a Debianism... on a Red
Hat system, it is always in /etc/httpd/

In particular, the Drupal that is available through Fedora is
configured in /etc/httpd/conf.d/drupal.conf

--
Sam

Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 08:23:27PM +0000, Sam Sharpe wrote:
> I think this is a problem - you are wrong on so many levels.

Mea Culpa--I should have fired up the Fedora system to talk about
Apache in Fedora. Yes, for my server I use a Debian-based distro, and
without thinking I just ran over there.

> In particular, the Drupal that is available through Fedora is
> configured in /etc/httpd/conf.d/drupal.conf

This is not standard Drupal configuration, however. And my description
in the subsequent post of the options available for resolving his concerns
about Drupal still stand.

Cheers,
--
Dave Ihnat
dihnat@dminet.com

Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Roger

On 02/06/2010 07:22 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> Here's how I'd handle it
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName www.myserver.com
> DocumentRoot /usr/share/drupal
> </VirtualHost>
>
> In /usr/share/drupal, move sites to /var/www and replace it (in the
> drupal directory) with a soft link.
>
> In /var/www/sites, create a folder writeable by apache called
> www.myserver.com and copy the contents of default into it. SELinux
> expects the server to write here and won't complain.
>
> When you first configure the server, tell it that the site is in
> sites/www.myserver.com. This will allow you to easily handle a
> multi-site Drupal installation.
>
> On my system, I get Drupal directly from the the drupal site, so I have
> it set up differently
>
> /var/www/
> drupal-6.15
> sites -> ../sites
> drupal -> drupal-6.15
> sites
> all
> themes
> modules
> www.sterndata.com
> files
>
> When a new release of drupal is available, I just download it into
> /var/www, change sites to point to ../sites, and change the pointer for
> drupal to the new release.
>
> All Drupal sites on my system use the same DocumentRoot,
> /var/www/drupal/drupal
>
> hth

Yes thats how I did it
Works a treat.
Roger

Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Gavin Simpson

On 5 February 2010 20:23, Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat@samsharpe.net> wrote:
> On 5 February 2010 20:12, Dave Ihnat <dihnat@dminet.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 05:01:18PM +0000, Gavin Simpson wrote:
>>> Thanks. Yes, apache2. Not sure what you mean by the "sites available" directory.
>>
>> In stock Apache, configuration information is in /etc/apache2. *Websites
>> are defined in httpd.conf fragments in a directory entitled
>> "sites-available"; sites that are used in the active configuration are
>> linked from files in sites-available in the directory "sites-enabled".
>> Sorry, right now I don't have a Fedora system up to check if they mucked
>> with the stock configuration.
<snip />

> In particular, the Drupal that is available through Fedora is
> configured in /etc/httpd/conf.d/drupal.conf

Thanks Sam, that was the bit I was missing. Didn't occur to me to look
in httpd/conf.d/ but having looked at the drupal.conf file I now see
how the Fedora/EPEL drupal package works with the rest of the system.

Much appreciated.