Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Dan Irwin

Default NetworkManager, dbus, 3G USB Modems and SMS

I'm pretty sure I'm not posting this question to the best place, but here goes.

Can I write a program which will talk to NetworkManager or ModemManager over dbus to send and receive sms messages? Will this work while connected to a mobile broadband service on the same modem?

Is anyone out there already working on something like this?

I imagine the ideal solution is some kind of sms service provider, which itself could be accessed via dbus, with integration in email or IM clients.

Rationale:

I have a 3G usb modem which i use to connect to mobile broadband. This
service is pretty much connected whenever I use my computer.

Often my provider sends SMS messages to the number of the usb modem,
for example, to give warnings about going over quota (which I recently did). I would love a
way to access these messages while connected to mobile broadband.

Cheers,

Dan

Old 02-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Sam Sharpe

On 5 February 2010 08:04, Dan Irwin <rummymobile@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I'm not posting this question to the best place, but here
> goes.
>
> Can I write a program which will talk to NetworkManager or ModemManager over
> dbus to send and receive sms messages? Will this work while connected to a
> mobile broadband service on the same modem?
>
> Is anyone out there already working on something like this?

http://live.gnome.org/PhoneManager

yum install gnome-phone-manager

Whether it works with your USB Modem, or indeed USB Modems in general,
I don't know - but it's worth a shot.

--
Sam

Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Nicolae Ghimbovschi

Hello,

You could try to use gammu to read/send sms-es.
Here is a link on how to use it with a huawei e160
http://tensixtyone.com/perma/howto-send-sms-using-a-huawei-e160g-and-debian
I tested with my huawei e180, and I was able to send/recieve sms-es,
read/write contact book.

There is an frontend for it, is called wammu.

yum install gammu wammu -y

Old 02-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Dan Irwin

Hello,

That looks like a good solution. The only problem I foresee that gammu won't be able to access /dev/ttyUSBn while NetworkManager has an active connection using the same device.

Still, it looks like the best solution so far, even if I have to disconnect the broadband.

My hope is that I can write something myself to talk to NetworkManager or ModemManager via dbus to work around the fact that /dev/ttyUSBn is locked.

Cheers,

Dan