Old 02-05-2010, 12:23 AM

Default F12 and Nvidia video card.

I see a lot of comments about F12 and Nvidia video card, but no solution to
the problem (if there is one, PLEASE point me at it, Ive just upgraded to F12)

I have a hard time believing that the folks that produce Fedora Releases
would actually release a version that does not support his very common
video card, but that seems to have happened.

So any help?
Does the driver from Nvidia work, I havent checked there yet.
--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com

Old 02-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Sam Varshavchik

reg@dwf.com writes:

I see a lot of comments about F12 and Nvidia video card, but no solution to
the problem (if there is one, PLEASE point me at it, Ive just upgraded to F12)

I have a hard time believing that the folks that produce Fedora Releases
would actually release a version that does not support his very common
video card, but that seems to have happened.

The "Nvidia video card" in my laptop works just fine in F12, with nouveau.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Kevin Kempter

> I see a lot of comments about F12 and Nvidia video card, but no solution to
> the problem (if there is one, PLEASE point me at it, Ive just upgraded to
> F12)
>
> I have a hard time believing that the folks that produce Fedora Releases
> would actually release a version that does not support his very common
> video card, but that seems to have happened.
>
> So any help?
> Does the driver from Nvidia work, I havent checked there yet.

I have an nvidia card, running Fedora 12.
I installed kmod-nvidia and everything works great

Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 AM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Thu, 2/4/10, reg@dwf.com <reg@dwf.com> wrote:

> I see a lot of comments about F12 and
> Nvidia video card, but no solution to
> the problem (if there is one, PLEASE point me at it, Ive
> just upgraded to F12)
>
> I have a hard time believing that the folks that produce
> Fedora Releases
> would actually release a version that does not support his
> very common
> video card, but that seems to have happened.
>
> So any help?
> Does the driver from Nvidia work, I havent checked there
> yet.

FWIW, I've had zero problems with F12's nouveau driver with my 256MB Norwood Micro GeForce 6600 PCI Express card and a 19" LG L1960TR Flatron. On prior versions of Fedora, I've had to use the proprietary Nvidia driver--nv was a disaster from the beginning--from the livna or fusionfree repos to get full resolution and the display working correctly.

This card has no 3-D capabilites built-in, which is fine, since I have no need of it. As I understand it, nouveau has problems driving 3-D type cards correctly. Any "fix" will involve "fixing" nouveau. Or as you've discovered, going to the proprietary Nvidia driver.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Carroll Grigsby

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:23:12 -0700, reg@dwf.com wrote:

> I see a lot of comments about F12 and Nvidia video card, but no
> solution to the problem (if there is one, PLEASE point me at it, Ive
> just upgraded to F12)
>
> I have a hard time believing that the folks that produce Fedora
> Releases would actually release a version that does not support his
> very common video card, but that seems to have happened.
>
> So any help?
> Does the driver from Nvidia work, I havent checked there yet.

Reg:

I've never had any problems with my Nvidia GeForce 6600 card, and I've
been using it since the fall of 2006. I've always used the instructions
contained here:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-nvidia.html

and here;

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f12.html.

-- cmg

Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 AM
Marcel Rieux

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:23 PM, <reg@dwf.com> wrote:
> I see a lot of comments about F12 and Nvidia video card, but no solution to
> the problem (if there is one, PLEASE point me at it, Ive just upgraded to F12)

In case you're refering to my posts, my only problems with my 9400GT
card is enabling Twinview and getting sound through the HDMI*cable to
the TV. Is this your problem?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 AM

> reg@dwf.com writes:
>
> > I see a lot of comments about F12 and Nvidia video card, but no solution to
> > the problem (if there is one, PLEASE point me at it, Ive just upgraded to F12)
> >
> > I have a hard time believing that the folks that produce Fedora Releases
> > would actually release a version that does not support his very common
> > video card, but that seems to have happened.
>
> The "Nvidia video card" in my laptop works just fine in F12, with nouveau.

Interesting.
using the same xorg.conf that I have used since fc6 or so, everything on the
screen is BIG.
It looks like the X11 driver is running at say 800x600 rather than 1280x1024,
and the <ctrl><alt> <+> or <-> stuff that used to work in fc6 to change size
(in the list of modes in the "Screen" section of xorg.conf) no longer works.

So how do I specify reasonable size text/ a reasonable 'mode' ?

--
Reg.Clemens
reg@dwf.com