Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default difference between /proc/cpuinfo and AMD product specs

undoubtedly going to regret asking this, but i installed f12 on a
gateway laptop, whose /proc/cpuinfo reads (in part):

model name : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 800.000
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm
cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch

the above *seems* to suggest an oddly slow processor (800 MHz), but
the "svm" flag tells me it has AMD H/W virt support, correct?

however, if i pop over to the corresponding(?) AMD page:

http://products.amd.com/en-na/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=18&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f 6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=

that page suggests that that processor is 2 GHz, but that there is
*no* H/W virt support.

i'm confused. am i just misreading something?

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Hiisi

2010/2/4 Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>:

> *undoubtedly going to regret asking this, but i installed f12 on a
> gateway laptop, whose /proc/cpuinfo reads (in part):
>
> model name * * *: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
> stepping * * * *: 2
> cpu MHz * * * * : 800.000
> flags * * * * * : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
> rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm
> cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
>
> *the above *seems* to suggest an oddly slow processor (800 MHz), but
> the "svm" flag tells me it has AMD H/W virt support, correct?
>
> *however, if i pop over to the corresponding(?) AMD page:
>
> http://products.amd.com/en-na/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=18&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f 6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=
>
> that page suggests that that processor is 2 GHz, but that there is
> *no* H/W virt support.
>
> *i'm confused. *am i just misreading something?
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
> * * * * * *Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://crashcourse.ca
> Twitter: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://twitter.com/rpjday

And what lshw says?
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Hiisi wrote:

> 2010/2/4 Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>:
> >
> > *undoubtedly going to regret asking this, but i installed f12 on a
> > gateway laptop, whose /proc/cpuinfo reads (in part):
> >
> > model name * * *: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
> > stepping * * * *: 2
> > cpu MHz * * * * : 800.000
> > flags * * * * * : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> > cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
> > rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm
> > cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
> >
> > *the above *seems* to suggest an oddly slow processor (800 MHz), but
> > the "svm" flag tells me it has AMD H/W virt support, correct?
> >
> > *however, if i pop over to the corresponding(?) AMD page:
> >
> > http://products.amd.com/en-na/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=18&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f 6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=
> >
> > that page suggests that that processor is 2 GHz, but that there is
> > *no* H/W virt support.
> >
> > *i'm confused. *am i just misreading something?
>
> And what lshw says?

don't have that installed right now, and i have to dash. but
whatever lshw tells me, it's still disconcerting that the info from
/proc/cpuinfo seems to disagree so drastically from the processor spec
page.

more later when i get a chance to test.

rday

Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 22:23:08 +0300, Hiisi wrote:

> And what lshw says?

And dmidecode?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:36 PM
"Steve Berg"

> undoubtedly going to regret asking this, but i installed f12 on a
> gateway laptop, whose /proc/cpuinfo reads (in part):
>
> model name : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
> stepping : 2
> cpu MHz : 800.000
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
> rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm
> cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
>
> the above *seems* to suggest an oddly slow processor (800 MHz), but
> the "svm" flag tells me it has AMD H/W virt support, correct?
>
> however, if i pop over to the corresponding(?) AMD page:
>
> http://products.amd.com/en-na/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=18&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f 6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=
>
> that page suggests that that processor is 2 GHz, but that there is
> *no* H/W virt support.
>
> i'm confused. am i just misreading something?

You've probably got the cpuspeed daemon running and it's throttling the
CPU since there's not enough load on the system to need the additional
clock cycles.

You can use the lshw or dmidecode to verify that your CPU is what you
actually purchased. Or you can run "service cpuspeed stop" and then look
at /proc/cpuinfo which will show you the unmodified values that your CPU
is presenting to the OS.

--
* Stephen Berg *
* sberg@mississippi.com *

Old 02-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 14:18 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> undoubtedly going to regret asking this, but i installed f12 on a
> gateway laptop, whose /proc/cpuinfo reads (in part):
>
> model name : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
> stepping : 2
> cpu MHz : 800.000
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
> rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm
> cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
>
> the above *seems* to suggest an oddly slow processor (800 MHz), but
> the "svm" flag tells me it has AMD H/W virt support, correct?
>
> however, if i pop over to the corresponding(?) AMD page:
>
> http://products.amd.com/en-na/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=18&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f 6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=
>
> that page suggests that that processor is 2 GHz, but that there is
> *no* H/W virt support.
>
> i'm confused. am i just misreading something?

/proc/cpuinfo shows the current clock speed. Many processors,
especially laptops, scale down the speed of idle processors to save
power.

Try running a program that contains a tight infinite loop and see what
happens then.

Not sure about the virtualization part.

> rday

> Robert P. J. Day Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
> Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 02-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Matthew Saltzman

Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Steve Berg wrote:

> > undoubtedly going to regret asking this, but i installed f12 on a
> > gateway laptop, whose /proc/cpuinfo reads (in part):
> >
> > model name : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
> > stepping : 2
> > cpu MHz : 800.000
> > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> > cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
> > rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm
> > cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
> >
> > the above *seems* to suggest an oddly slow processor (800 MHz), but
> > the "svm" flag tells me it has AMD H/W virt support, correct?
> >
> > however, if i pop over to the corresponding(?) AMD page:
> >
> > http://products.amd.com/en-na/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=18&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f 6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=
> >
> > that page suggests that that processor is 2 GHz, but that there is
> > *no* H/W virt support.
> >
> > i'm confused. am i just misreading something?
>
> You've probably got the cpuspeed daemon running and it's throttling
> the CPU since there's not enough load on the system to need the
> additional clock cycles.

gaaaah. of course, that was it. thanks. now to figure out the
virtualization oddity.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Phil Meyer

On 02/04/2010 01:06 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Steve Berg wrote:
>

>>> undoubtedly going to regret asking this, but i installed f12 on a
>>> gateway laptop, whose /proc/cpuinfo reads (in part):
>>>
>>> model name : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
>>> stepping : 2
>>> cpu MHz : 800.000
>>> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
>>> cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
>>> rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm
>>> cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
>>>
>>> the above *seems* to suggest an oddly slow processor (800 MHz), but
>>> the "svm" flag tells me it has AMD H/W virt support, correct?
>>>
>>> however, if i pop over to the corresponding(?) AMD page:
>>>
>>> http://products.amd.com/en-na/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=18&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f 6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=
>>>
>>> that page suggests that that processor is 2 GHz, but that there is
>>> *no* H/W virt support.
>>>
>>> i'm confused. am i just misreading something?
>>>
>> You've probably got the cpuspeed daemon running and it's throttling
>> the CPU since there's not enough load on the system to need the
>> additional clock cycles.
>>
> gaaaah. of course, that was it. thanks. now to figure out the
> virtualization oddity.

# modprobe kvm-amd

errors returned will be self explanatory.

if no error from command line, then:

dmesg | tail

That will confirm or deny kvm loading correctly. If so, virtualization
is functional on that cpu.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Tom Horsley

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 13:14:16 -0700
Phil Meyer wrote:

> That will confirm or deny kvm loading correctly. If so, virtualization
> is functional on that cpu.

Except that if it is disabled in the bios, the /proc/cpuinfo still
says the cpu has the capability, yet the module loading won't work
(though perhaps it is smart enough to report that it is disabled
in the bios in the errors).